Thinking of buying HS PHEV but need owner advice

1: Reliability, only time will tell.

Only had my ex-demonstrator for a month.

the 7 year warranty would indicate the manufacturer is aiming for good reliability.

2. Blind spot warning lights.

Used to be in the mirror on my Outlander PHEV, also not so good on a bright day with the sun behind you.

After a month, now got used to looking in the right place without thinking about it.

3. Intrusive mirror.

At first, it was an annoyance. Now, just seem to deal with it.
The mirror thing I noticed immediately on my test drive, and it drove me mad.
Since then I think I've seen that the mirror pivots in two spots, at the mirror itself and where it connects to the screen, so the whole thing should be able to be pivoted higher to be a bit less obtrusive, can you have another look ?

Since then I think I've seen that the mirror pivots in two spots, at the mirror itself and where it connects to the screen, so the whole thing should be able to be pivoted higher to be a bit less obtrusive, can you have another look ?
I will have a look at that next time I go by the dealers Amason, thanks, it was quite dark and with black on black that may well have passed me by, well spotted.

I've just checked mine. You are correct the mirror is mounted on a bar about 5 -6 cm long with a ball joint at either end so the mirror has some vertical movement.

Hi everyone,

I tried an HS PHEV today and really liked it in the main but had a couple of issues that I was hoping experienced owners could guide me on, before I sign anything!

1. What is reliability like?
2. Blind spot warning lights are in a very odd place, I'm used to them on the mirrors so are they good and just a case of getting used to the different location?
3. This is a biggy for me, I found the rear view mirror and black plastic casing for the camera and other top of windscreen gubbins really intrusive. To the extent of having to dip to look under it at junctions etc, I'm 6 feet tall so is it just me or is this a problem for anyone else?

Many thanks in advance
Hi! I’m an owner, 1 month and 1000 miles in.

So far reliability is just fine, not a squeak. The carpet mats I bought from the dealer are wearing badly in 1 spot, but that’s it.

Agree on the BLIS lights, useless during the day, especially the drivers side, but hey ho, it’s not a deal breaker. Weird bearing in mind the wing mirror gales has a light for heating! Personally I’m more annoyed you can’t close the flap on the centre console when you have a cable plugged in!!

I am 6’5” and don’t find the mirror design a problem at all, I don’t have the seat down too far either so my I don’t have to adjust it when my wife and I swap places. Did you try dropping the seat height?

feel free to ask anything else.

Hi! I’m an owner, 1 month and 1000 miles in.

So far reliability is just fine, not a squeak. The carpet mats I bought from the dealer are wearing badly in 1 spot, but that’s it.

Agree on the BLIS lights, useless during the day, especially the drivers side, but hey ho, it’s not a deal breaker. Weird bearing in mind the wing mirror gales has a light for heating! Personally I’m more annoyed you can’t close the flap on the centre console when you have a cable plugged in!!

I am 6’5” and don’t find the mirror design a problem at all, I don’t have the seat down too far either so my I don’t have to adjust it when my wife and I swap places. Did you try dropping the seat height?

feel free to ask anything else.
Cheers Moog42, yes not quite sure why you need a light in the mirror to say heater is on, had thought they probably came on automatically with rear window heater assuming temperature is low enough in which case they generally have timers and switch themselves off after a set number of minutes.

I did drop the seat a bit but the dealer wouldn't let us have a 2nd test drive because the demo car was behind another one(!) so no idea if it made a difference when driving unfortunately.

Cheers Moog42, yes not quite sure why you need a light in the mirror to say heater is on, had thought they probably came on automatically with rear window heater assuming temperature is low enough in which case they generally have timers and switch themselves off after a set number of minutes.

I did drop the seat a bit but the dealer wouldn't let us have a 2nd test drive because the demo car was behind another one(!) so no idea if it made a difference when driving unfortunately.
Dude....don't let them.walk over you.... Just say move the damn car if you want me to buy one here....

I was hoping for a test drive in a ssang Yong korando and MG EHS....they wanted me to test the MG first...I said no...because the ssang Yong is cheaper and I wanna know what I get for that money....if you drive MG first, already you will find ssang Yong the worst....

They agreed....I did 2 other test drives with 3 other people....

Dude....don't let them.walk over you.... Just say move the damn car if you want me to buy one here....

I was hoping for a test drive in a ssang Yong korando and MG EHS....they wanted me to test the MG first...I said no...because the ssang Yong is cheaper and I wanna know what I get for that money....if you drive MG first, already you will find ssang Yong the worst....

They agreed....I did 2 other test drives with 3 other people....
Just told them I would do business with another dealer, may be nearest for service or repair but can buy anywhere. They don't have a great reputation looking at various forums.

IMG20210628140957.jpg

Here's the rear view mirror now moved up, does make a difference.

Being 'new' it was a little stiff to move and I'm not known for being delicate, so was extra careful.

Probably is full mirror height, before moving it you could see the bottom of the housing behind it.

Hi, did you invest after? How did you find the mirror? I went in to the dealer to try one and the mirror was a major problem for me I'm 6ft 2, other than that like everything about the hs. Would be interested to know how you got on as I'm thinking it's just something I will have to get used to. Could I also ask the group if I buy from 200 miles away from home and I have a warranty issue can I take it to a local dealer or will they be funny because I didn't buy it from them and make me take it to where i purchased. Thanks all for your help.

Hi, did you invest after? How did you find the mirror? I went in to the dealer to try one and the mirror was a major problem for me I'm 6ft 2, other than that like everything about the hs. Would be interested to know how you got on as I'm thinking it's just something I will have to get used to. Could I also ask the group if I buy from 200 miles away from home and I have a warranty issue can I take it to a local dealer or will they be funny because I didn't buy it from them and make me take it to where i purchased. Thanks all for your help.
Hi @Samo , in short I decided to wait and in fact now have a Hyundai Kona N so slightly different! Partially down to "little things" I didn't like and whilst minor in nature when I added them up decided to wait and see how the next evolution of the model looks. Still do longer trips so needing to do 400-500 miles in a day means pure electric isn't currently an option, be interesting to see development of hydrogen tech. Given the speed cars are changing decided to have some fun in what could be one of the last sub £40k sporty petrol cars and watch and wait. Warranty should be handled by any MG dealership irrespective of where you bought it, as should servicing. Good luck making your decision, everyone has differing needs so it just comes down to getting the best fit to your requirements and wants with the least compromises possible. At the end of the process though hopefully you come away with something that also makes you grin and enjoy driving. Happy shopping.

Hi

1. One of the main reasons I bought this car was the 7 year guarantee that comes with it, should anything go wrong reliability wise. MG seem to be really serious about selling their cars in Europe and seem to want to make a good impression.

2. The blind spot warning lights are not very bright, but when you need them you know where to look.

3, I must admit I do find the mirror to be a bit low, but now I am used to it and do not even notice anymore., though I am not as tall as you.

Another reason why I bought the car is that there is a lot of bang for the buck, compared to similar cars on the market. I also love the way it looks and I do enjoy driving it.

At the end of the day it is what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
I was impressed by the 7 year warranty, so downloaded the Warranty Statement. 7 pages.
There are warranty coverage duration's of 6 months to 36 months on quite a few items. might be worth a read as it certainly does not cover all items should 'Anything go wrong'.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom