Thinking of ordering one

Agree but main stream manufacturers are struggling to make the switch. This month Ford revealed that they have made a substantial loss on every EV they've sold so far so until they can all adjust their business models to suit, I can't see an imminent reduction in EV prices.
I suggest watching the Beijing and Shanghai international car shows (the latter is now the biggest and most important show in the world), £20k large family EVs will be arriving at a port near you soon along with every possible type of sports car, SUV you could imagine.

It doesn't matter whether Ford or VW or any Western manufacturer can do it, the Chinese already can. Yes, it will take time to ramp up volumes and establish dealer networks, but it is happening now.

Small cars are the only territory as yet unconquered, Renault have the most advanced plans there but can they match the Chinese on price??

I suggest watching the Beijing and Shanghai international car shows (the latter is now the biggest and most important show in the world), £20k large family EVs will be arriving at a port near you soon along with every possible type of sports car, SUV you could imagine.

It doesn't matter whether Ford or VW or any Western manufacturer can do it, the Chinese already can. Yes, it will take time to ramp up volumes and establish dealer networks, but it is happening now.

Small cars are the only territory as yet unconquered, Renault have the most advanced plans there but can they match the Chinese on price??
But how long until import tariffs are put in place to ‘protect’ western car manufacturers?

But how long until import tariffs are put in place to ‘protect’ western car manufacturers?

Some of our politicians are already talking about sanctions. Of course they dress it up as being in retaliation for the Chinese 'spying' on the west, hoping we'll conveniently forget that the west spies on them as well.

The western cars are all made with Chinese parts. Will never happen.
US already have a 27.5% tariff on Chinese vehicles I believe and there are calls to increase this but assume they also rely on Chinese parts too so will interesting to see how that plays out.

US already have a 27.5% tariff on Chinese vehicles I believe and there are calls to increase this but assume they also rely on Chinese parts too so will interesting to see how that plays out.
Yes that's true, I should have been more specific in what I was saying.

There are indeed a bunch of carefully constructed tariffs on both US/China sides to show maximum political capital but which are quite carefully constructed to minimise damage to their own consumers and the overall trading relationship.

27.5% imposed on Chinese cars when there are no significant imports of them has minimal impact on current trade - it does prevent them from getting a future foothold.

It is very different in Europe where imposing high tariffs now would make a serious impact on Chinese sales and would almost certainly trigger reciprocal action that would destroy the Chinese businesses of EU makers (which is their most important market in most cases) and penalise exports.

Tariffs are used to prevent new trade starting but they are very hard to impose at high rates where that trade is already highly interdependent - there may well be some symbolic tariffs imposed, but their impacts tend to be small and manageable.

Are all these Tarrifs/Taxes/Green Tax. etc etc etc etc etc. Should they not all come under the banner.
"LET'S SCREW THE PUNTER"
That's my thoughts anyway. 🤔🙄
Yes, in every case the consumer suffers on both sides.

We impose 10% tarrifs on non EU-made cars plus VAT, so a £20k import becomes £26,400 before you consider costs of shipping, port fees, exchange rates, road freight, dealer margin etc...

Test drove one yesterday there’s no denying how quick the thing is but ride comfort technology and sound in the cabin goes to the Tesla just got to think whether I want to spend the extra for the Tesla it’s the dual motor I can afford too so very quick car also , whether it’s worth nearly £20k over the mg I’m not so sure , a lot to think about over the coming week

I don't know anything about the Tesla, but having had my XPower since September 2023 all I can say is that I absolutely love it. It's roomy, comfortable, smooth to drive and has character. It simply feels right! One pedal driving mode is a dream and the acceleration!!!!!!

Just a point worth noting. The later XPs don't seem to suffer any unwanted vibes around 70 mph, bought mine new a month ago and vibes are not a problem. So that may be a consideration if thinking about a used/ex demo car.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to bear in mind about Tesla cars is the constant telemetry. The cars are always sending data back home. Including, apparently, information about the way they're being driven. We don't know whether that data leaves Tesla but we do know that some manufacturers share telemetry information from their cars with insurance companies, etc. in the US. No idea if that happens in the UK or EU countries but it might be something to look into if you're planning on getting one.
Not a clue about the MG's...yet.

One thing to bear in mind about Tesla cars is the constant telemetry. The cars are always sending data back home. Including, apparently, information about the way they're being driven. We don't know whether that data leaves Tesla but we do know that some manufacturers share telemetry information from their cars with insurance companies, etc. in the US. No idea if that happens in the UK or EU countries but it might be something to look into if you're planning on getting one.
Not a clue about the MG's...yet.
I suspect they would fall foul of GDPR if they didnt gain prior permission.

Yes that's true, I should have been more specific in what I was saying.

There are indeed a bunch of carefully constructed tariffs on both US/China sides to show maximum political capital but which are quite carefully constructed to minimise damage to their own consumers and the overall trading relationship.

27.5% imposed on Chinese cars when there are no significant imports of them has minimal impact on current trade - it does prevent them from getting a future foothold.

It is very different in Europe where imposing high tariffs now would make a serious impact on Chinese sales and would almost certainly trigger reciprocal action that would destroy the Chinese businesses of EU makers (which is their most important market in most cases) and penalise exports.

Tariffs are used to prevent new trade starting but they are very hard to impose at high rates where that trade is already highly interdependent - there may well be some symbolic tariffs imposed, but their impacts tend to be small and manageable.
That's very interesting.

What surprised me was when Trumphy cut Huawei off at the knees.

My insight into the consequences of this was our mobile provider went from supplying nine out of ten phones as Huawei to ZERO.

I spoke to acquaintances who work for other providers and they reported the same.

Pity the UK is such a small market when viewed in a global sense.

I personally can't wait for these £20k large family EV's to start rolling off the boats but I won't hold my breath.

Tesla run a different model regarding sales and service, it isn't perfect by any means however I can't help thinking a lot of the problems MG are having are down to the utilisation of existing dealers networks so you have the same useless incumbents, they're just selling a different brand.

So after much thought and research I’m ordering an xpower on Monday when I’m back in work , now just got to decide what colour to go for thinking either white or the green
Im biased🫣, always liked white cars, though a pain to keep looking clean, but worth it.
However the choice is yours, as they say.

If buying finance then Affinity doesn't really work out any cheaper since the APR is higher, same with secondhand.

I went through CarWow and got about £1850 off the price

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom