This Car [ dealer ] Has Been A Disaster. [ resolved ]

TrickyPowell

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We run one car. On Monday my wife dropped me at work and kept herself busy all day and went to the garage to collect our new ZS EV which we part exed our old car against. She picked me up at teatime and we came home. I thought it best to charge the car as it was not fully charged and my round trip is 54 miles dailly. I found we had no cable. The range said 101 miles, which was ok so the next day.

On Tueday I called the dealership from work and they said they would look for the cable. I rang again before leaving work but they had not found the cable. I rang again this morning from work as the range was showing 31 miles and my journey home is 27 and I also needed to do a 30 mile round trip tonight. No cable had been found. At lunch time they had found me a cable and I could collect on my way home, so I asked if I could charge at the showroom on the fast charger they said they had and they agreed.

I left work early and got to the dealership with no miles to spare. They gave me a new 3 pin domestic cable in a little case and connected me to their charger. I was there for an hour and a quarter until they closed and had got the range to just over 3o miles, but I had a cable. I came home and put the car on charge but it would not. The cable lit up and was very pretty with its LED lights cascading along the cable. I called MG, who said I needed to call the MG recovery service for help even though the car was on my drive. They in turn insisted on calling out roadside assistance who called me to tell me they would be on their way shortly. When I explained my issue, he said he did not a cable and would not be able to help, but did take me step by step through the process of plugging in a cable. But the car would not charge.

Any way we had to make the trip to pick up our daughter but arranged to meet half way to save our range. Once home from this trip and the car registering no range available, my wife took the bit of paper out of the charger box which proudly says EV SHOWROOM CHARGING CABLE. I think this is for show only and not a charging cable at all. Does anyone else have a charging cable that has LED lights cascading down the cable when it is charging? Can any dealers confirm if my suspicions are correct and this cable is for cosmetic purposes only?

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely sounds like a showroom display cable is there any rapid chargers near you so atleast you can put a load of miles on to get you around

We run one car. On Monday my wife dropped me at work and kept herself busy all day and went to the garage to collect our new ZS EV which we part exed our old car against. She picked me up at teatime and we came home. I thought it best to charge the car as it was not fully charged and my round trip is 54 miles dailly. I found we had no cable. The range said 101 miles, which was ok so the next day.

On Tueday I called the dealership from work and they said they would look for the cable. I rang again before leaving work but they had not found the cable. I rang again this morning from work as the range was showing 31 miles and my journey home is 27 and I also needed to do a 30 mile round trip tonight. No cable had been found. At lunch time they had found me a cable and I could collect on my way home, so I asked if I could charge at the showroom on the fast charger they said they had and they agreed.

I left work early and got to the dealership with no miles to spare. They gave me a new 3 pin domestic cable in a little case and connected me to their charger. I was there for an hour and a quarter until they closed and had got the range to just over 3o miles, but I had a cable. I came home and put the car on charge but it would not. The cable lit up and was very pretty with its LED lights cascading along the cable. I called MG, who said I needed to call the MG recovery service for help even though the car was on my drive. They in turn insisted on calling out roadside assistance who called me to tell me they would be on their way shortly. When I explained my issue, he said he did not a cable and would not be able to help, but did take me step by step through the process of plugging in a cable. But the car would not charge.

Any way we had to make the trip to pick up our daughter but arranged to meet half way to save our range. Once home from this trip and the car registering no range available, my wife took the bit of paper out of the charger box which proudly says EV SHOWROOM CHARGING CABLE. I think this is for show only and not a charging cable at all. Does anyone else have a charging cable that has LED lights cascading down the cable when it is charging? Can any dealers confirm if my suspicions are correct and this cable is for cosmetic purposes only?
It sounds strange to have a cable that has LED's going down the actual cable, not something I can see MG giving you.

If I was you I'd buy one next day delivery from Amazon and demand some money back from MG. In future don't let your battery get so low, just pop it on a fast charger and charge it if in doubt.

Very poor service from your dealer.
Hope you get it sorted properly soon.

Down the line you will hopefully be thinking "the car is great and it is the dealer that is the disaster".

Vote with your feet if you can, and switch dealer.

It sounds strange to have a cable that has LED's going down the actual cable, not something I can see MG giving you.

If I was you I'd buy one next day delivery from Amazon and demand some money back from MG. In future don't let your battery get so low, just pop it on a fast charger and charge it if in doubt.
If I had a charging cable I would not have let the battery get so low. :) I even put a shout out on social media on Tuesday night to see if I could borrow a cable overnight to charge at a public charger or at my home but no response.

I hope that you get it sorted and start to enjoy the car

Just a bit of info that may help you, there's basically 3 types of charging/cables

Slow - 3kW Using the 13amp granny charger cable that you should've been given. this really is a trickle charge, you'll get very roughly 12-15 miles range for each hour charged

Fast - 7KW, this uses a type 2 cable, normally used at the likes of tesco, or if you have a home charging socket. You can get this cable for about £130 from Amazon (Search for, Type 2 cable, single phase, 32Amp)

Rapid Greater than 22KW - eg Motorway service station and other rapid chargers, these use their own tethered cables

Most people tend to carry their own granny and type 2 cable

Edited (Thanks Michael) UK spec MG ZS has a max 7KW when using a type 2 cable

Last edited:
I hope that you get it sorted and start to enjoy the car

Just a bit of info that may help you, there's basically 3 types of charging/cables

Slow - 3kW Using the 13amp granny charger cable that you should've been given. this really is a trickle charge, you'll get very roughly 12-15 miles range for each hour charged

Fast - 7-22KW, this uses a type 2 cable, normally used at the likes of tesco, or if you have a home charging socket. You can get this cable for about £130 from Amazon (Search for, Type 2 cable, single phase, 32Amp)

Rapid Greater than 22KW - eg Motorway service station and other rapid chargers, these use their own tethered cables

Most people tend to carry their own granny and type 2 cable
I have my Fast Charger on order but not fitted yet and was not given the Granny Charger, which is causing me all the issues. I cannot even get to my local Screwifix to buy a type 2 charger and then use a public charger.

I have my Fast Charger on order but not fitted yet and was not given the Granny Charger, which is causing me all the issues. I cannot even get to my local Screwifix to buy a type 2 charger and then use a public charger.
I take it your to far from your Morris ons they have a ccs rapid charger should get you to 80% in no time at all would give you a bit of breathing space?

I take it your to far from your Morris ons they have a ccs rapid charger should get you to 80% in no time at all would give you a bit of breathing space?
Great idea but I do not have a type 2 cable and it is untethered. Thank you taking the time to look though.

Thank you to everyone who has read my rant and engaged with me on this. The good news is the dealership has finally accepted the issue and delivered a Granny Charger to me and my car is charging. The cable they gave me yesterday was a conditioner and just keeps a charged car going in the showroom when it is not being run and charged regularly. I can get back to enjoying my vehicle now.

This is exactly why I havbe a tethered charger already installed and waiting for my new ZS (if it ever turns up) as I do not want to have to go through all of this that you have. Hopefully you can get it sorted, and for what it is worth you will want to invest in a type2 cable for use on public 7kw chargers (like what you see at tesco).

Don't know how prevalent CCS chargers are in your neck of the wood, but if this has been me, i would just have gone to the nearest CCS fast charger and given it a "blitz"

I did a couple of fast charges yesterday, one from 8% til 95% in 1 hour 15 minutes, and only this long, because i was doing some border shopping and needed to get something to eat as it was 6 PM.

From 8 until just before 80% it was REALLY sucking the cable hard...Nearly 90 KWh most of the time, but when it got to 80 it dropped to 20 KWh, and right before 90% it dropped to about 5 KWh.

In reality, it took no more than about 40 minutes to go from 8 to 80 %.

I then drove it on the motorway at 110 kph on the cruise control, and the calculated real range is somewhere in the range of about 350 km, this is offcourse from 100% to 0% so not really feasible, but you can easily get 300 km from a full battery, before you need to charge. (If there is a charger at that exact point on your trip).. (And if you ignore the very angry lady saying the battery is low and to recharge as soon as possible....From 20% down)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom