This guy makes a point so be aware

Delivery dates being pushed back and excuses to charge more this chap tells of what might be going on I think he might have a point
Les.

Not nice to hear that dealers are holding their customers to ransom. Like the man said they are 'opportunist scum'. I wonder if there could be a situation in the future where people are still waiting for their brand new MG5 LR while the the new look face lift model goes on sale. I know I wasn't too pleased when I got my MG5 SR with the 'newly rated' roof rails only for the new Long Range version with 75kg roof rails to come out a month later.

I strongly suspect the facelift model wont be announced until the remaining stock of RHD LR's have been sold and are at least in transit.

With regard to the video, American stealerships have always had some odd pricing mechanisms, including the 'markup' on top of MSRP being pretty much the norm. Holding customers that have ordered and paid a deposit to ransom for additional fee's is beyond cretinous!

The Chip Shortage is definitely real, a large factory producing the older technology chips (that are less efficient and more expensive to produce) burnt down. There seems to be little to no desire to rebuild it to continue to producing the older technology, add in covid staffing shortages in transportation and a sudden explosion in demand for tech like webcams, voip phones, headsets etc and we've got a real storm of supply and demand being out of kilter.

I strongly suspect the facelift model wont be announced until the remaining stock of RHD LR's have been sold and are at least in transit.

With regard to the video, American stealerships have always had some odd pricing mechanisms, including the 'markup' on top of MSRP being pretty much the norm. Holding customers that have ordered and paid a deposit to ransom for additional fee's is beyond cretinous!

The Chip Shortage is definitely real, a large factory producing the older technology chips (that are less efficient and more expensive to produce) burnt down. There seems to be little to no desire to rebuild it to continue to producing the older technology, add in covid staffing shortages in transportation and a sudden explosion in demand for tech like webcams, voip phones, headsets etc and we've got a real storm of supply and demand being out of kilter.
I believe all RHD stock of 5's are being dumped on UK/Ireland market. LR not on sale in any other of the RHD markets? When the face lift arrives (or very soon after) there will be no SR or LR for sale just the Facelift. Other world markets went SR to Facelift.

I think they dipped their toe in the market, realised it was highly successful and had totally underestimated demand for the vehicle. They're restricting the models to certain regions, allows them to use up the parts bin without low numbers all over the globe. Then full steam ahead for the facelift 5 with all of the Amazon backed European friendly OTA/data stuff.

As they're batch building, I can see them waiting for the car park to be empty of RHD 5's in shanghai before they start building RHD New 5's, if they know what's good for them they'll have a number built and scheduled for delivery to the UK before they actually announce it this time. As supply chain issues start to sort themselves out, the competitors will get their delivery windows back down to 3 months.

I think they dipped their toe in the market, realised it was highly successful and had totally underestimated demand for the vehicle. They're restricting the models to certain regions, allows them to use up the parts bin without low numbers all over the globe. Then full steam ahead for the facelift 5 with all of the Amazon backed European friendly OTA/data stuff.

As they're batch building, I can see them waiting for the car park to be empty of RHD 5's in shanghai before they start building RHD New 5's, if they know what's good for them they'll have a number built and scheduled for delivery to the UK before they actually announce it this time. As supply chain issues start to sort themselves out, the competitors will get their delivery windows back down to 3 months.
I also believe the 5SR and LR are not being built anymore and the line is now tooled for Facelift only. Given that the LR weight is only slightly more than the SR its probable that the LR a post build upgrade to SR spec adding pilot etc. This on its own, could account for that increase. Range is increased by software/chemistry change, perhaps? I can't believe they changed the factory or battery manufacture for what is relatively a short run of RHD LR only for the UK? Can you find an LR on sale anywhere else? All a bit odd. LR and Face lift have same battery capability so they potentially have fitted that battery or just modified the original?

The chip shortage is worldwide and affects all cars not just EVs. I've a friend abroad who cannot get a range rover for this reason.

As an aside he comes across as a nice chap.
I bet he has even reduced his taxi fares due to minimal running costs
😉
I have been following his video's.
In the latest one he talks about how one of his taxi friends is unable to source a EV to replace his Skoda that has covered "Star ship" mileage !.
He revel's in the video, just how much he has saved by switching out to a EV for his work.
It's worth a watch !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom