This should get interesting fast

Dragonfly

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just Over a month ago I drove our Discovery from York, Via Hull-Rotterdam to Bulgaria, doing 1373miles at 35.8mpg, with an average diesel cost at the time of £1.70. Which I reckon cost as near as damn it £300 in fuel. Completed in 21.5hrs.

Well I'm currently sat on the same ferry, having brought the ZS.

ABRP 28h32 mins from Rotterdam, 13 Stops, What could possibly go wrong :)

Charging costs so far are £14 for a full charge at home before we left.

Just Over a month ago I drove our Discovery from York, Via Hull-Rotterdam to Bulgaria, doing 1373miles at 35.8mpg, with an average diesel cost at the time of £1.70. Which I reckon cost as near as damn it £300 in fuel. Completed in 21.5hrs.

Well I'm currently sat on the same ferry, having brought the ZS.

ABRP 28h32 mins from Rotterdam, 13 Stops, What could possibly go wrong :)

Charging costs so far are £14 for a full charge at home before we left.
I think the word that best suits this type of situation / challenge is :- BRAVE !.
A true test of both the car AND especially the charging infrastructure !.
Please report back on your progress.
I wish you the very best of luck on your trip !.

First charging stop, A Shell recharge just into Germany, 120miles in Europe, plus the 40 or so already done in UK.

Averaging a slightly lower miles per kWh, than I'm used to but car is loaded, and roads are a little faster

ABRP, is still unreliable on android auto, and causing phone to get quite hot.

@Dragonfly Is it safe to assume that you are driving the ZS EV Long Range model here and that it did have the software charging upgrade, before you collected it ?.
I only ask because it suddenly occurred to me that on your road trip, you will likely be using a number of rapid charger on route, that will be of different maker types and in different locations.
Please 🙏 keep us informed on progress.

Yes, Long Range Connect, which I'm informed was upto date in November last year when we took delivery.

Now at stop no 2. An Ionity still in Germany.

Stop 3, Another Ionity in Germany I would report mileage but the dash doesn't display it while plugged in. Averaging 3.3miles per kWh at the moment.

Stop 4 Another German Ionity. Remember to check the trip, 517miles since Rotterdam.

Our monthly fuel costs between two cars have gone from $650aud to $150aud, not exactly sure how much our electricity costs have gone up but think it's around $100-$125aud/month.

Stop 5 Austria Ionity, although I wonder if OMV eMobilty may have been cheaper, I download app but never thought to try it. Saw Ionity so used it.

Stop 6 Ionity in Austria, at 753miles from Rotterdam

Stop 7 Another Ionity but in Hungary. 889miles from Rotterdam.

Stop 8, stopped well before needed to see how easy the MOL network is to use. Still on Hungary, Driving time is just short of 16hrs, but nearer 20hrs real time.

Chargers are fewer now, so will probably stop more to keep topped up with short charges, rather than how we did it upto now.

What has been your typical distance and time driven then time to charge so far? All the best for the rest of the journey.

I lied about driving time it's nearer 19hrs now. Stop 9, which really should have been 8 had we not had a tester stop

Stop 10 is another unnecessary test charge for e-charge in Romania, making sure that they work before we actually need it

Typically about 150miles between charges, but of course they don't space the charges just where I want them 😂

Charge No 10 which is our first real Charge for E-charge in Romania, technically we could charge to 90% here and make it to our destination in Bulgaria, however for peace of mind and our own convenience we'll add an extra charge about halfway.

Roughly how long do you stop for at each charge point and would these stops coincide with natural comfort breaks ?

cjp40 made a good point there. Is going further with longer stops more efficient than shorter distances with shorter stops? I know some of it will depend on the state of charge when you arrive at a charger as to what speed you get.

Finally last charge, in Bulgaria no. 11

We did have a fail to charge on the way here, but not the fault of the car, or the network. Some other clown. I'll explain later.

Sounds great. We had a place in Samokov some years back.

We did the South of France last year, 2500 miles touring thru France. Thank goodness for Tesla charging South of Lyons.

Arrived, I'll do some proper messages later, next to hot shower, brew and bed.

IMG_20230419_193019.jpg

Firstly the car and the charging all performed faultlessly. I fully expected a broken charger, or long queues somewhere. All 12 charges worked faultlessly (Note I had 2 No 10s when I look back) Some where faster than others, most we saw was about 80kw charging speed, lowest was 43kw peak.

Now I say that the car and chargers were faultless, but those that have followed the thread, know that I had a failed charge, late on yesterday. Well, so that we didn't arrive in Bulgaria, with 20% battery we decided to break up the last leg, and stop for a charge. 2 Options, shopping centre with 6 chargers just before the border, or single charge just after the border in Bulgaria. Chose to go to shopping centre, 6 charges, so better odds, and something to do. Wrong Choice - This week, there is a circus/fair in the car park, with the chargers in the middle of it. Like I said some clown messed that up for us. Minor detour, and we charge at the single charge just after the border. All good.

I will also say, that of the 12, 2 were testers, that made no difference, other than making sure we could use foreign networks before we had to rely on them, and one was purely for our convenience. I'm fairly certain that if I did it again next week, we could probably do it in 9 stops, give or take a bladder stop.

The missus found it a long drag, however I found it a longer easier drive. When I brought the discovery, I did it by myself, I have the bladder of a camel, and I stopped for fuel twice. To be fair, I was lucky, I didn't have to wait more than a couple of cars, at either of the 2 borders, and I didn't get any serious traffic, 21.5 hours it probably one of our better times, more realistically it is usually 24hrs shared between 2 drivers. In the ZS I am forced to stop and take a break every 150 miles, and would often grab 30mins kip while the missus emptied her bladder then refilled it with coffee. It was also easier to swap drivers for an hour or 2, and you don't feel the need to push yourself to the next fuel stop 500 miles away. For me it was easier.

You will also notice that I got 3.3miles per kwh average, in the UK in similar weather I would get 3.6 to 4+ depending on journey length/type. Firstly the car was loaded, we are spoilt and the discovery has a cavernous boot by comparison, and just handles it. In the ZS the boot was rammed, I knew we had some weight, but we weren't dragging the rear end or anything. Still it was heavy. Secondly we were often driving well above the UK national limit, which the ZS did well I never felt at any point that we were under powered even with the weight.

Finally for this message, 2 observations.
First I haven't had the update done for R22, so I get told to service the car every 700 miles or so. Apparently it won't let you reset it twice in 12 hours. Probably the only person that has found that, but we'll see if it lets me in the next day or so.
Second, if you are knocking on abit, and put your boot down after a second or two, the motor speed on the dash goes red. The speed it does it at seems to vary so I guess it is related to motor temperature. Only ever noticed it for a few seconds at a time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom