Thoughts on first 7 months ownership

PedroPhev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I’m writing this really to try to answer many of the questions and concerns I had when I was researching the forum prior to purchase. If a potential owner finds this useful then I’ve achieved the aim.
I’m 7 months and 4 thousand 500 miles in and I thought I’d give my impressions.
It’s a 22 plate, dynamic red, exclusive, with red/black interior and privacy glass.
I came here from a 2018 BMW 420d Gran Coupe sport, a great car. I researched endlessly on this forum before pulling the trigger!, but it still felt like a leap of faith into the unknown.
This is not a car your average owner can just jump in and drive. To get reliability, optimum performance and economy, you need to understand it so you can configure and drive it accordingly (this is possibly true of many plug in PHEV’s but I’d say the MG more than most). The optimum operating configuration in Summer is very different to Winter.
Treat it like a windows pc, allow it to fully boot up (system ready) before beginning any task, when starting I keep my foot on the brake until “System Ready” appears on the dash. Move the gear lever from Park to Neutral before selecting Drive or Reverse, move the lever slowly and deliberately to each indent. Overall this may seem like I’m being over cautious, but I’ve not had any significant software glitches or failed operations to date (standing by to regret that statement!).
On one extremely hot summers day I returned to the car to find it like an oven, I couldn’t touch the central display screen. It then took two attempts to get the HV battery to connect. The owners manual specifically mentions protecting the interior (which I assume primarily means dashboard, displays and controls) from extremes of heat. I understand why now, so I use a reflective windscreen shield and a dash top protector, I’ve had no problems since.
In the Summer, EV mode was readily available virtually all the time. I’d use EV up to 50 mph then switch to hybrid to avoid rapidly draining the battery, keeping a reserve of battery power for when I can achieve maximum efficiency. If I’m in no hurry I’ll choose slower roads so I can use EV to its maximum potential. The best battery range I’ve achieved around 30 to 40 mph is 49 miles which amazed me (I do live in Norfolk which is very flat).
I’ve read criticism of no selectable regen, but there is basic regen you just have to modulate the accelerator to control motor braking (in EV mode you need to disengage cruise control to allow regen to function).
I’ve read criticism of cabin heating only being available with the engine running, but it only needs to run for a matter of minutes to get up to temperature, shortly after EV can be selected and cabin temperature remains constant long after the engine has stopped even on cold days, allowing prolonged use of EV mode. (This appears to be witchcraft!, is this a heater with thermal storage capacity?)
I try to not go regularly below 20% battery charge in the interest of long term battery health, am I being over cautious?
Recharging the battery at home using the granny charger on Octopus go at 9p/kwh between 00:30 & 04:30, would allow an empty battery to be fully recharged for under £1.40 (however 4 hours of charge only equates to about 66% of battery capacity, so you’d need to charge over two nights to reach 100%; but 66% is sufficient for 90% of my charging needs). This equates to under 4p per mile for pure EV use. I do not need an installed home charger.
Overall economy since delivery is 72mpg, overall cost per mile is 9.8p (summer & autumn, but increasing significantly for winter & spring). Hybrid mode in winter is returning around 46 to 50 mpg depending on the type of journey.

Oddities:
If you’re opening or closing the tailgate and another door is opened the tailgate will stop.
I’ve had black central screen mid journey a couple of times, but selecting another display function restores the display.
Auto braking unexpectedly is a new experience , but you learn the situations when it is going to happen unnecessarily and apply light throttle briefly to minimise its effect. It no longer alarms me.
I love the 360 camera and use it instinctively to aid reversing, yes the screen has a tendency to go black momentarily when you least expect it, but you know the 360 camera view will return within a second. In winter you need to clean the cameras almost daily. Now I understand all that, I’m not bothered by the shortcomings.
I have had to re-pair my iPhone once. The car would steam Bluetooth music, but would not work as a phone. After re-pairing it worked fine again.

What else could be better?:
I think more thought could have gone into maximising storage space in the boot area, there are void spaces and foam inserts that could have provided valuable additional small storage space. I tend to keep charging cables in their bags in the rear footwell for ready access, which works for me because I rarely have rear seat passengers, but it’s not ideal.
I’ve had a small patch of topcoat paint detach on the bonnet (30mm triangle), I’m hoping this is an isolated defect rather than a general paint quality issue.
The petrol engine is less than refined and vibration is very evident through the accelerator pedal particularly when the engine is cold. But at higher speeds when warm it is no less refined than other cars.
From a technical perspective the combination of two different gearbox inputs is an impressive technical achievement (6 speed petrol drive & 4 speed EV drive). Yes there are flat spots when gear changes take place 31mph, 42mph, 48mph (the most noticeable), 62mph. Cruising at 50 to 60mph in hybrid mode is a bit dim witted as the gearbox does not select the optimum cruising gear by default. If you accelerate to 62mph the gearbox will change to the next higher gear, then decelerate back to 55mph, cruising revs will have reduced from 2400 to around 1800 revs. Reducing engine noise and improving economy.
To overtake, mashing the pedal to the metal can provide acceleration that would embarrass many fast cars, laugh out loud, it never gets old!
However, Forrest Gump would probably describe the gearbox as “like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get!” This has led to some heart stopping moments. I now mash the pedal 2 seconds before I need to overtake, to give the gearbox time to get its act together.
The high beam assistant needs overriding at times to avoid dazzling other drivers, but I think this is a problem all manufacturers face.

What’s the best points?:
Acceleration in pure EV mode is more than adequate for brisk overtaking. With 90bhp there is no need for the engine to start to supplement the EV motor as other manufacturers have to do.
I love active cruise control and traffic jam assist (maybe lane keep assist would be useful on a long motorway journey, but on any other road it freaked me out!)
The panoramic roof that opens so wide is excellent. Once experienced, I never want to be without it.
I love the premium look and feel of the interior (the red/black interior is stunning).
I love the interior mood lighting.
I love the MG puddle lights.
I love people’s reactions when they experience it for the first time.

In summary; None of the “individualities” are show stoppers, and once you are aware of them and make allowances, they are no longer a concern. Do other manufacturers have similar problems? Possibly, but probably not to the same extent. But this is MG’s first attempt at hybrid technology and in some ways they’ve led the way, in others ways they lag behind. To get a similar size, spec and technology from another manufacturer you would need to add many thousands if not tens of thousands to the budget.
Personally I feel I’ve got a quality vehicle at a bargain price, it’s individual enough to stand out, I’ve had more people come up and ask me about it than any vehicle I’ve owned (with the exception of an Impreza Turbo!). It looks and feels far more premium than the price would suggest.
I have no regrets and honestly I’m chuffed to bits with it.

Hi
When drive and screen goes blank press the home shortcut button for 12 seconds to reboot the system works most times.

A good summary which mirrors my thoughts, also after 7 months experience of a 2022 build/23 plate HS PHEV Exclusive! My driving has included several long trips to Scotland and one to France, Belgium and the Netherlands with a fair amount of high-speed motorway use, and fewer opportunities to use pure EV mode. 9,000 miles done over the 7 months, with no serious problems.

I like the car very much, including its individuality and various quirks. Android Auto (cable connected) takes care of navigation, phone calls and music, and cabin overheating in sunshine has been solved with solar/thermal rejecting transparent film on the front side windows. Good motorway comfort and performance (though yes, you have to be alert to gear-change hesitation at about 49mph). I've turned off most 'MG Pilot' functions but the adaptive cruise control is superb, as is the 360 deg. camera.

Boot space could be better, even given the need to accommodate the high-voltage battery, so shipping the golf clubs requires lowering one of the split rear seats. Not fantastic fuel consumption (42mpg averaged over 7 months) compared to some smaller self-charging hybrids, but obviously it's much better on short drives mainly in EV mode. I paid £28k for an excellent new car which is unbeatable value, at least in the UK.

I’m writing this really to try to answer many of the questions and concerns I had when I was researching the forum prior to purchase. If a potential owner finds this useful then I’ve achieved the aim.
I’m 7 months and 4 thousand 500 miles in and I thought I’d give my impressions.
It’s a 22 plate, dynamic red, exclusive, with red/black interior and privacy glass.
I came here from a 2018 BMW 420d Gran Coupe sport, a great car. I researched endlessly on this forum before pulling the trigger!, but it still felt like a leap of faith into the unknown.
This is not a car your average owner can just jump in and drive. To get reliability, optimum performance and economy, you need to understand it so you can configure and drive it accordingly (this is possibly true of many plug in PHEV’s but I’d say the MG more than most). The optimum operating configuration in Summer is very different to Winter.
Treat it like a windows pc, allow it to fully boot up (system ready) before beginning any task, when starting I keep my foot on the brake until “System Ready” appears on the dash. Move the gear lever from Park to Neutral before selecting Drive or Reverse, move the lever slowly and deliberately to each indent. Overall this may seem like I’m being over cautious, but I’ve not had any significant software glitches or failed operations to date (standing by to regret that statement!).
On one extremely hot summers day I returned to the car to find it like an oven, I couldn’t touch the central display screen. It then took two attempts to get the HV battery to connect. The owners manual specifically mentions protecting the interior (which I assume primarily means dashboard, displays and controls) from extremes of heat. I understand why now, so I use a reflective windscreen shield and a dash top protector, I’ve had no problems since.
In the Summer, EV mode was readily available virtually all the time. I’d use EV up to 50 mph then switch to hybrid to avoid rapidly draining the battery, keeping a reserve of battery power for when I can achieve maximum efficiency. If I’m in no hurry I’ll choose slower roads so I can use EV to its maximum potential. The best battery range I’ve achieved around 30 to 40 mph is 49 miles which amazed me (I do live in Norfolk which is very flat).
I’ve read criticism of no selectable regen, but there is basic regen you just have to modulate the accelerator to control motor braking (in EV mode you need to disengage cruise control to allow regen to function).
I’ve read criticism of cabin heating only being available with the engine running, but it only needs to run for a matter of minutes to get up to temperature, shortly after EV can be selected and cabin temperature remains constant long after the engine has stopped even on cold days, allowing prolonged use of EV mode. (This appears to be witchcraft!, is this a heater with thermal storage capacity?)
I try to not go regularly below 20% battery charge in the interest of long term battery health, am I being over cautious?
Recharging the battery at home using the granny charger on Octopus go at 9p/kwh between 00:30 & 04:30, would allow an empty battery to be fully recharged for under £1.40 (however 4 hours of charge only equates to about 66% of battery capacity, so you’d need to charge over two nights to reach 100%; but 66% is sufficient for 90% of my charging needs). This equates to under 4p per mile for pure EV use. I do not need an installed home charger.
Overall economy since delivery is 72mpg, overall cost per mile is 9.8p (summer & autumn, but increasing significantly for winter & spring). Hybrid mode in winter is returning around 46 to 50 mpg depending on the type of journey.

Oddities:
If you’re opening or closing the tailgate and another door is opened the tailgate will stop.
I’ve had black central screen mid journey a couple of times, but selecting another display function restores the display.
Auto braking unexpectedly is a new experience , but you learn the situations when it is going to happen unnecessarily and apply light throttle briefly to minimise its effect. It no longer alarms me.
I love the 360 camera and use it instinctively to aid reversing, yes the screen has a tendency to go black momentarily when you least expect it, but you know the 360 camera view will return within a second. In winter you need to clean the cameras almost daily. Now I understand all that, I’m not bothered by the shortcomings.
I have had to re-pair my iPhone once. The car would steam Bluetooth music, but would not work as a phone. After re-pairing it worked fine again.

What else could be better?:
I think more thought could have gone into maximising storage space in the boot area, there are void spaces and foam inserts that could have provided valuable additional small storage space. I tend to keep charging cables in their bags in the rear footwell for ready access, which works for me because I rarely have rear seat passengers, but it’s not ideal.
I’ve had a small patch of topcoat paint detach on the bonnet (30mm triangle), I’m hoping this is an isolated defect rather than a general paint quality issue.
The petrol engine is less than refined and vibration is very evident through the accelerator pedal particularly when the engine is cold. But at higher speeds when warm it is no less refined than other cars.
From a technical perspective the combination of two different gearbox inputs is an impressive technical achievement (6 speed petrol drive & 4 speed EV drive). Yes there are flat spots when gear changes take place 31mph, 42mph, 48mph (the most noticeable), 62mph. Cruising at 50 to 60mph in hybrid mode is a bit dim witted as the gearbox does not select the optimum cruising gear by default. If you accelerate to 62mph the gearbox will change to the next higher gear, then decelerate back to 55mph, cruising revs will have reduced from 2400 to around 1800 revs. Reducing engine noise and improving economy.
To overtake, mashing the pedal to the metal can provide acceleration that would embarrass many fast cars, laugh out loud, it never gets old!
However, Forrest Gump would probably describe the gearbox as “like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get!” This has led to some heart stopping moments. I now mash the pedal 2 seconds before I need to overtake, to give the gearbox time to get its act together.
The high beam assistant needs overriding at times to avoid dazzling other drivers, but I think this is a problem all manufacturers face.

What’s the best points?:
Acceleration in pure EV mode is more than adequate for brisk overtaking. With 90bhp there is no need for the engine to start to supplement the EV motor as other manufacturers have to do.
I love active cruise control and traffic jam assist (maybe lane keep assist would be useful on a long motorway journey, but on any other road it freaked me out!)
The panoramic roof that opens so wide is excellent. Once experienced, I never want to be without it.
I love the premium look and feel of the interior (the red/black interior is stunning).
I love the interior mood lighting.
I love the MG puddle lights.
I love people’s reactions when they experience it for the first time.

In summary; None of the “individualities” are show stoppers, and once you are aware of them and make allowances, they are no longer a concern. Do other manufacturers have similar problems? Possibly, but probably not to the same extent. But this is MG’s first attempt at hybrid technology and in some ways they’ve led the way, in others ways they lag behind. To get a similar size, spec and technology from another manufacturer you would need to add many thousands if not tens of thousands to the budget.
Personally I feel I’ve got a quality vehicle at a bargain price, it’s individual enough to stand out, I’ve had more people come up and ask me about it than any vehicle I’ve owned (with the exception of an Impreza Turbo!). It looks and feels far more premium than the price would suggest.
I have no regrets and honestly I’m chuffed to bits with it.
This is a really great read and as an owner coming up to 12 months I think I can see areas I can improve my usage. Can you tell me where rear camera lens is. It has blocked my reversing vision and I cannot find out anything from the handbook. Thanks. Also you did not mention the “temporary DAB fix”. Did you get lucky and not have to put up with this inadequate solution? Many ghsnks

Rear camera is just above the rear number plate, just off centre. Front camera is on the lower edge of the big MG badge in the centre of the front grill.
My DAB seems to be a permanent install, both front USB ports are available.

Hi Pedro PHEV,
Yes,an excellent summary I must say ,and I can agree with it completely. I have the HS PHEV also and find it to be an impressive vehicle for the money. I have had mine for almost 1 year with 10 000 km on the clock with no problems whatsoever. I live in the Algarve, Portugal where the temperature and sunshine is strong. I found that some days when the temperature hits 40 degrees, the back of the centre screen can be unbelievably hot to the touch! To alleviate this and to pre-empt any possible problems in the future I have fabricated a small shading plate the same width as the screen out of polished aluminium to match the screen, it looks OK . I also purchased a dashboard cover with the mg logo on it from ali express. It is a perfectly tailored thick mat with a red edging and looks very smart, and protects the dashboard. I also use a good quality reflective sun shade which I attach on the OUTSIDE of the screen which reflects 100% of the suns rays and stops penetration of heat into the car in the first place-very effective.
As for fuel efficiency, from new, it is returning 3.4L/100km (82 MPG). I use EV mode when in town or driving slowly (40 mph) and just leave it to sort itself out when on the open roads. As for acceleration, I have left many a "boy racer" with a red face from the lights. ( I am a biker at heart and owned many large, high powered bikes over the years and enjoy the occasional burst of speed when appropriate. This car can hold its head high in the power/acceleration department. ( love the torque steering in AUTO mode when the throttle is floored and the wheels lose just that little bit of traction on the road surface and spins for a split second !! that always makes me smile ).
I have fitted many aftermarket parts to make it more individual (chrome widow pilar covers, chrome boot edging panels and good quality two part floor mats in black with red stitching, stainless steel surrounds for all door internal switches and stainless steel MG steering wheel centre cover, and stainless steel surrounds for the switches on the steering wheel. All together these parts make the car more "premium" and finishes it nicely. All these parts were purchased from Ali Express with no problems at all and are of excellent quality.
I think this car is good balance of comfort, space, fuel efficiency and performance. I am well chuffed with my purchase!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pedro PHEV,
Yes,an excellent summary I must say ,and I can agree with it completely. I have the HS PHEV also and find it to be an impressive vehicle for the money. I have had mine for almost 1 year with 10000 Klms on the clock with no problems whatsoever. I live in the Algarve,Portugal where the temperature and sunshine is strong. I found that some days when the temperature hits 40 degrees, the back of the center screen can be unbelievably hot to the touch! To eleviate this and to pre-empt any possible problems in the future I have fabricated a small shading plate the same width as the screen out of polished aluminium to match the screen, it looks OK . I also purchased a dashboard cover with the mg logo on it from ali express. It is a perfectly tailored thick mat with a red edging and looks very smart, and protects the dashboard. I also use a good quality reflective sun shade which I attach on the OUTSIDE of the screen which reflects 100% of the suns rays and stops penetration of heat into the car in the first place-very effective.
As for fuel efficiency, from new, it is returning 3.4lts/100kls (82 MPG). I use EV mode when in town or driving slowly (40 Mph) and just leave it to sort itself out when on the open roads. As for acceleration, I have left many a "boy racer" with a red face from the lights. ( I am a biker at heart and owned many large,high powered bikes over the years and enjoy the occasional burst of speed when appropriate. This car can hold its head high in the power/acceleration department. ( love the torque steering in AUTO mode when the throttle is floored and the wheels lose just that little bit of traction on the road surface and spins for a split second !! that always makes me smile ).
I have fitted many aftermarket parts to make it more individual (chrome widow pilar covers, chrome boot edging panels and good quality two part floor mats in black with red stitching, stainless steel surrounds for all door internal switches and stainless steel MG steering wheel centre cover,and stainless steel surrounds for the switches on the steering wheel. All together these parts make the car more "premium" and finishes it nicely. All these parts were purchased from Ali Express with no problems at all and are of excellent quality.
I think this car is good balance of comfort,space ,fuel efficiency and performance. I am well chuffed with my purchase!!
Hi Jock
Good to hear from another informed and enthusiastic owner. It’s pleasing to know it can withstand the high extreme of temperature, ours will be in Southern Spain for Feb, Mar & April, not the extreme heat but can get quite hot in April. I like the idea of your dash mat, I’ll have a search on AliExpress. I’m looking forward to making full use of EV mode in Spain, rather than lengthy use of hybrid mode the UK winter temperatures require. Would the FAA in your user name refer to a branch of the RN?

Hi Pedro PHEV,
Yes,an excellent summary I must say ,and I can agree with it completely. I have the HS PHEV also and find it to be an impressive vehicle for the money. I have had mine for almost 1 year with 10 000 km on the clock with no problems whatsoever. I live in the Algarve, Portugal where the temperature and sunshine is strong. I found that some days when the temperature hits 40 degrees, the back of the centre screen can be unbelievably hot to the touch! To alleviate this and to pre-empt any possible problems in the future I have fabricated a small shading plate the same width as the screen out of polished aluminium to match the screen, it looks OK . I also purchased a dashboard cover with the mg logo on it from ali express. It is a perfectly tailored thick mat with a red edging and looks very smart, and protects the dashboard. I also use a good quality reflective sun shade which I attach on the OUTSIDE of the screen which reflects 100% of the suns rays and stops penetration of heat into the car in the first place-very effective.
As for fuel efficiency, from new, it is returning 3.4L/100km (82 MPG). I use EV mode when in town or driving slowly (40 mph) and just leave it to sort itself out when on the open roads. As for acceleration, I have left many a "boy racer" with a red face from the lights. ( I am a biker at heart and owned many large, high powered bikes over the years and enjoy the occasional burst of speed when appropriate. This car can hold its head high in the power/acceleration department. ( love the torque steering in AUTO mode when the throttle is floored and the wheels lose just that little bit of traction on the road surface and spins for a split second !! that always makes me smile ).
I have fitted many aftermarket parts to make it more individual (chrome widow pilar covers, chrome boot edging panels and good quality two part floor mats in black with red stitching, stainless steel surrounds for all door internal switches and stainless steel MG steering wheel centre cover, and stainless steel surrounds for the switches on the steering wheel. All together these parts make the car more "premium" and finishes it nicely. All these parts were purchased from Ali Express with no problems at all and are of excellent quality.
I think this car is good balance of comfort, space, fuel efficiency and performance. I am well chuffed with my purchase!!
Hi again Jock, I’ve been on AliExpress and ordered the dash mat you recommended (and a selection of other HS items that no enthusiast can be without!!).

Hi Pedro,
Yes, its refreshing to hear that there are owners out there that are pleased with the HS phev and are willing and happy to experiment with the different modes of propulsion to find out which combination works for them best. I think with a bit of forethought and trial and error it will be very possible to get 100 MPG.
Glad that you have taken the plunge with buying the dash mat,I think you will be pleased. As for the indoor stainless steel switch surrounds, I would be careful with them as I think they are only available for left hand drive cars for the front doors. The rear doors will be universal so no problem with them. There is loads of nice gear for MG cars as you no doubt know now you have been on the website. I have bought stacks of different things through Ali Express ( car accessories, shooting accessories , portable air compressors etc.) and not once have I had a problem (only knowing when to stop spending of course!!!) Yes, I know, it must be a shock to find a jock that likes to spend dosh !!
It is a real pleasure to have this car in a sunny country. I find whilst in EV mode the A/C works well if you keep the temperature setting just below the outside temperature by a couple of degrees only. Or, if its required to be even colder inside, you can do as you do in the UK and run the ICE for several minutes with recirculate engaged until the required temp is reached, then simply switch to EV and the car will be good for some time. As I said earlier, its a case of experimenting to find which way works for you. I run my A/C continuously in the summer and have no problems. I am sure you will enjoy your trip in Spain, have a great time.
As for my user name, yep, the FAA part is Fleet Air Arm. I was in the FAA (Navy) for 14 years as an aircraft Electrical Engineer and worked on various aircraft (Wessex and Sea king helicopters and also the Sea Harrier)
Well, all for now. Happy motoring!!

Hi once more.
Sorry, I have just looked at your user name and realised that you have a very nice dog picture on it. I am now wondering if "Pedro" is infact your pooches name. If it is I appologise for getting the wrong end of the stick and have just called you by a dogs name !!:ROFLMAO:(y):ROFLMAO:

Hi Jock
yes, looking forward to some cheaper EV motoring in Spain, can’t wait to get the pan roof wide open.
I thought you user name was a nod to those who would understand, I served also, but as an MEA (I prefer Mechanician but few people even remember that title).

You were right, I’m Pete, the very nice dog is Ziggy.

Evening Pete, (and Ziggy)
I get the feeling that you are an old hand at driving in Spain. As you probably know, petrol is cheaper in Spain, and also, if it is anything like Portugal, electric for charging at home is much cheaper. I charge overnight from midnight to 0700 and it costs literally pennies. (dont forget your 3 pin to Spanish plug adaptor!) I ordered my car with the red leather option but was told after a 2 month wait that it may not be possible at all here in Portugal, there has to be a minimum number of orders before china would supply it,and it could take many-many months (if at all) before this criteria would be met. So, not wanting to wait, I accepted the black option. Really jealous that you have red leather, I bet it looks really classy!
Nice to hear that you were a matelo. I never was much good at general service "jobs description abbreviations" but were you a marine engineer artificer? Mechanician I understand. In the "airy fairy" world an Artificer was the bookworm with a couple of "O" levels to his name which enabled quicker rank advancement. But in reality,it was us Mechanicians with much more practical experience that were the "creme de la creme !!!:LOL:;)(y)
By the way, my name is actually Ian.
All the best,and enjoy Spain.

Hi Ian
Yes the red black interior has a very premium look, I held out and paid over the odds to get it. This will be the first trip to Spain for the MG, but yes we have been Wintering in Spain for 8 years now. It’s a rented Villa so we don’t control the electricity tariff but I have convinced the owner to fit an outdoor waterproof socket so I can plug in and charge, he can the advertise the villa as EV charging (slow!) available.
Good to hear we are from similar background, I was indeed a Marine Engineering Artificer, but held the title Mechanician until it was replaced.
keep on living the dream!

Hi Pete,
Please keep in touch and let us know how your MG performed on the road down there, and during your 3 month stay in Spain.
How are you getting there? Will you be driving down through France or maybe getting the ferry from Plymouth to Santander?
If you are in the south east west of Spain and fancy a trip over the border sometime, give us a shout and come over here for a couple of days. I live in a small valley hamlet just outside of Tavira. That would give my Portuguese neighbours something to gossip about when they see 2 MG cars parked in the driveway !! :) (y)
All the best.

HI again,
just re-read my last(after posting it) and realised I got my points of the compass wrong! I meant SOUTH WEST of Spain!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ian, Ferry to Santander then drive down to Torre del mar in a day. This will be the first long, long, long motorway speed journey the MG has done. Cold for the first 200 miles, then hopefully sunny and warm for the rest, I know fuel consumption will be poor but once arrive we will be using EV most of the time. I’ve checked the map and unfortunately we’re 250 miles from Tavira so we cant drive over.
Regards
Pete

Hi Pete,
Thats a shame, it was just an idea. But do keep in touch and let us know how you got on during your journey , and stay in Spain.
All the best,
Ian

We purchased the MG HS PHEV excite version, they wanted another $4,500 here in NZ for the essence which has a few extra features like sunroof, larger wheels, electric boot closing, dash lighting, fog lights, 360 cameras. But to be honest I didn't need all of those, the excite is the same ask the essence just without those extras.
We mainly bought it for the EV fuel economy.
Nearly all our running is around town with the occasional over 100 km trip in auto hybrid mode.
I put it into EV mode after I start it and we are getting 0.5 litres/ 100km on our accumulated total usage which included one hybrid trip to Auckland of 220 km in total.
Its been 2600 km since I last filled up with 95 petrol have been running around in EV mode with 2 bars on the petrol gauge for months. I might fill it up in february if it gets down below the 2 bars or gets to 3000 km since last fill.
We also have 5.6 kW of solar and a tesla Powerwall battery so charging is free and free electricity from 9pm to midnight 7 days, so depending on usage I have a WiFi plug on the wall which is scheduled to turn on at 9pm, if I need more I just schedule it to start earlier once the sun is down. It needs around 5 hrs with the 3 pin wall granny charger that was supplied with it. The only issue we had was the fuel cap very hard to get off. MG replaced the cap and I have only opened it once since then. I carry an 8 inch shifting spanner in the glovebox which gives more leverage if it gets tight again.
We have had no issues with any of the other things mentioned here and the car is doing exactly what we purchased it for - fuel economy. Petrol is very expensive here in New Zealand.

We are very happy with our purchase !!

Last edited:
Glad your enjoying your PHEV, I wish I had as many opportunities to run full EV but the UK winter is forcing the petrol engine to run for the first few miles of every journey. Also my solar is barely producing anything on these short, grey, Winter days. But heading for warmer climes soon!

Glad your enjoying your PHEV, I wish I had as many opportunities to run full EV but the UK winter is forcing the petrol engine to run for the first few miles of every journey. Also my solar is barely producing anything on these short, grey, Winter days. But heading for warmer climes soon!
I also have the internal temps for the car set to 19 deg both sides which seems to stop the heater turning on so much apart from that first inital start in winter, any more than 19 and the heater keeps turning on taking it out of EV mode.

Last edited:
I tried 19 degrees set both sides this morning with an outside temperature of 11 degrees C, but “EV mode not supported”. However, after 2 or 3 minutes I was able to select EV mode, so minimal delay.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom