Thoughts on first 7 months ownership

I tried 19 degrees set both sides this morning with an outside temperature of 11 degrees C, but “EV mode not supported”. However, after 2 or 3 minutes I was able to select EV mode, so minimal delay.
yes and it stops it from starting auto mode once you have been running a while. It used to get down to 10 and below here as well in winter. I used to watch the side of the road marking where I could switch to ev mode without it saying ev mode not available and didnt bother trying to switch it until I got to where I'd marked. You can also throttle off or going downhill and push the ev button to get it to go into ev mode :)

Hi Pedro,
Yes, its refreshing to hear that there are owners out there that are pleased with the HS phev and are willing and happy to experiment with the different modes of propulsion to find out which combination works for them best. I think with a bit of forethought and trial and error it will be very possible to get 100 MPG.
Glad that you have taken the plunge with buying the dash mat,I think you will be pleased. As for the indoor stainless steel switch surrounds, I would be careful with them as I think they are only available for left hand drive cars for the front doors. The rear doors will be universal so no problem with them. There is loads of nice gear for MG cars as you no doubt know now you have been on the website. I have bought stacks of different things through Ali Express ( car accessories, shooting accessories , portable air compressors etc.) and not once have I had a problem (only knowing when to stop spending of course!!!) Yes, I know, it must be a shock to find a jock that likes to spend dosh !!
It is a real pleasure to have this car in a sunny country. I find whilst in EV mode the A/C works well if you keep the temperature setting just below the outside temperature by a couple of degrees only. Or, if its required to be even colder inside, you can do as you do in the UK and run the ICE for several minutes with recirculate engaged until the required temp is reached, then simply switch to EV and the car will be good for some time. As I said earlier, its a case of experimenting to find which way works for you. I run my A/C continuously in the summer and have no problems. I am sure you will enjoy your trip in Spain, have a great time.
As for my user name, yep, the FAA part is Fleet Air Arm. I was in the FAA (Navy) for 14 years as an aircraft Electrical Engineer and worked on various aircraft (Wessex and Sea king helicopters and also the Sea Harrier)
Well, all for now. Happy motoring!!

Hi once more.
Sorry, I have just looked at your user name and realised that you have a very nice dog picture on it. I am now wondering if "Pedro" is infact your pooches name. If it is I appologise for getting the wrong end of the stick and have just called you by a dogs name !!:ROFLMAO:(y):ROFLMAO:
Hi Ian
Thanks for the Ali Express tip, I’m now ready for Spain.
Regards
Pete ⚓

Attachments

• IMG_1991.jpeg
    IMG_1991.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1990.jpeg
    IMG_1990.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1989.jpeg
    IMG_1989.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 63
Hi Pete,
yes, it was certainly an eye opener when I started to use Ali Express. There is an unbelievable amount of items for the HS on offer, glad I could help. My next purchase will be running boards. They are to help my wife to enter and exit the car as she suffers from dodgy knees after operations, plus of course, they look pretty cool. There are some really nice looking sets on offer. All these little "additions" make the car look that much more "premium".
Good luck in sunny Spain.
Cheers mate, all the best, Ian

Hi Pedro, what a brilliant read. A nice contrast to some posts which focus on negatives (although I respect if you have something going wrong, you'll be upset quite naturally). I have had my 2022 PHEV Exclusive 3 weeks so your performance experience is very useful to know. I do love a spreadsheet, I imagine you do to by your comments.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your reflections.

Hi Nic, Thanks for your positive comments. Yes I do have a spreadsheet, I was career military so good pension but not wealthy, so there was a real need to assess projected outgoings & incoming and understand what was available to spend in the long term. Consequently I took a big leap and retired in 2015 aged 56 having built up a comprehensive spreadsheet over the previous 7 years. It has proven to be about 97% accurate and guided me safely through the first 9 years of retirement. It has allowed me to spend disposable income wisely, hence the MG purchase. Consequently we are in Southern Spain in a rented villa for three months enjoying the winter sun as we do every year. We drove down in the MG and it has been great, have a read of a post I did just after we got here titled “Road trip”, I think you’ll find it interesting.

A good summary which mirrors my thoughts, also after 7 months experience of a 2022 build/23 plate HS PHEV Exclusive! My driving has included several long trips to Scotland and one to France, Belgium and the Netherlands with a fair amount of high-speed motorway use, and fewer opportunities to use pure EV mode. 9,000 miles done over the 7 months, with no serious problems.

I like the car very much, including its individuality and various quirks. Android Auto (cable connected) takes care of navigation, phone calls and music, and cabin overheating in sunshine has been solved with solar/thermal rejecting transparent film on the front side windows. Good motorway comfort and performance (though yes, you have to be alert to gear-change hesitation at about 49mph). I've turned off most 'MG Pilot' functions but the adaptive cruise control is superb, as is the 360 deg. camera.

Boot space could be better, even given the need to accommodate the high-voltage battery, so shipping the golf clubs requires lowering one of the split rear seats. Not fantastic fuel consumption (42mpg averaged over 7 months) compared to some smaller self-charging hybrids, but obviously it's much better on short drives mainly in EV mode. I paid £28k for an excellent new car which is unbeatable value, at least in the UK.
Completely agree with you. Had the same experience with my MG HS PHEV 23 plate.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom