Thoughts So Far

securespark

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
OK, we have had ours since towards the end of July.

Thought I'd give everyone my impressions so far.

First, about immediate impressions after seeing the car for the first time.

The red we chose is banging.

I love the way it looks, especially the back end.

I'm a bit anal about letters on numberplates (it's hard to explain!), but three of them were letters I don't like in numberplates. Weird, I know!

The first thing I noticed when I got in was a couple of small marks on the top of the front nearside door card.

Immediately disappointed, but Mrs S was happy to let it go.

Walking round the outside, I thought it odd that the windows are branded SAIC, and not MG. I think they missed a trick there.

The other thing that stood out for me was an injection moulding mark in the middle of the rear light moulding right over where the MG badge is.

Wiper motor noise has been driving me nuts. Perhaps it is not helped by the car being electric.

The carpets are like velcro, not a proper pile, so they are an utter pain to vacuum. However, this is an issue with many brands. Our 2009 FRV was very similar.
Otherwise, I've been quite impressed by build quality.

Mrs S finds the steering wheel very odd: an odd shape and, for her small hands, quite thick-rimmed.

I joke that it's a modern take on Allegro's Quartic offering!

Regarding roominess, I find both front and rear roomy as long as the passenger seat is fully back and, in the case of the rear, I sit behind Mrs S.
I struggle plugging the seatbelt in when in the front as I have a weak right side and I'm a bit of a hippo. If I was a bit thinner, it wouldn't be so much of a struggle.

The "driver aids" are a bit hit and miss, especially the infamous LKA.....
The touchscreen is laggy, but I don't find it a massive issue. The radio station icons could have the text sizes reversed, so the station name is in larger letters. Liking the internet access: if we are struggling for a connection we can hotspot from the car.

We realised this when we test drove the car, but we find the boot small: our previous car's boot was 439l, not massive, but the MG4's boot is noticibly smaller, due in part to the false boot floor.

I'm not sure what to make of "mpg". I've just calculated that we have done 141 miles from 100% and we are now on 27%.

But, Mrs S likes to hoof it, so I'm sure that impacts the figures. Plus, we have noticed that driving around town gives a much better consumption than on the motorway.

That's all I can remember for now, but if I think of anything else, I'll add it here.

I'm not sure what to make of "mpg". I've just calculated that we have done 141 miles from 100% and we are now on 27%.

Consumption very much depends on driving style, and you learn to adapt to get the best consumption on long journeys. I can easily get close to advertised range in the summer, and was averaging 4.0 miles/KW. Now on daily commute it's more like 2.6/2.7 with the heater, lights, wipers on. That said, I've driven nearly 200 miles today on a round trip, and managed 3.6 on way out, and 3.8 on way back, and that was with the heater on the whole time.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back