'Thunk' from rear brakes.

Macadoodle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My SE has done this intermittently since day one. You hear the whirr of the parking brake releasing and the light goes off as you select drive, but you get an undignified jolt as the rear pads still grip before suddenly releasing.

Took the slider pins out of the calipers today, dry as a bone, not even a hint of the correct grease.
Lubed them up with silicone brake grease and so far so good, no more thunks from the rear.

I'm wondering if the front assemblies will be the same now so will check them out later in the week.
Yet more evidence of MG's half assery, NEVER experienced such an omission on any other car I have owned.
The calipers have SAIC on the casting so they obviously make them in house, pity they cant put their hand in a tub of grease when they fit them to the car :confused:

My SE has done this intermittently since day one. You hear the whirr of the parking brake releasing and the light goes off as you select drive, but you get an undignified jolt as the rear pads still grip before suddenly releasing.

Took the slider pins out of the calipers today, dry as a bone, not even a hint of the correct grease.
Lubed them up with silicone brake grease and so far so good, no more thunks from the rear.

I'm wondering if the front assemblies will be the same now so will check them out later in the week.
Yet more evidence of MG's half assery, NEVER experienced such an omission on any other car I have owned.
The calipers have SAIC on the casting so they obviously make them in house, pity they cant put their hand in a tub of grease when they fit them to the car :confused:
TBH - I have not seen yet, any manufactures that have their supplied brake callipers come supplied with fiction pads / slid pins pre-installed with any type of brake lub included at the time of assembly.
Therefore pads bind / stick and therefore the loud "clonk" as the pad releases in the calliper body.
Frustrating to think this could be avoided with the inclusion of 20p's worth of the correct lub.
But there again, it then defeats the need for a brake service latter in it's life, which is chargible !.

It provides work after sales for dealerships - that they charge for.

TBH - I have not seen yet, any manufactures that have their supplied brake callipers come supplied with fiction pads / slid pins pre-installed with any type of brake lub included at the time of assembly.
Therefore pads bind / stick and therefore the loud "clonk" as the pad releases in the calliper body.
Frustrating to think this could be avoided with the inclusion of 20p's worth of the correct lub.
But there again, it then defeats the need for a brake service latter in it's life, which is chargible !.
Ironically the pad 'ears' do have grease where they slide in the caliper so I just left them undisturbed.
Common 7 mm allen key fixing to remove the sliders, 5 min job.

While you're under the rear wheel arch, there's a large (30mm) hole to the side of the damper, assume it was meant to have a blank grommet fitted to it.
:unsure: Water , salt and grit was getting in there and sitting between the two steel panels of the inner wheel arch, a real nasty MOT failure for someone down the line.
Cleaned it out best I could and squirted waxoyl in there, ordered a pack of 30mm blind grommets,
Good job I actually like fixing cars, SO much to do on one that's a month oldo_O

Ironically the pad 'ears' do have grease where they slide in the caliper so I just left them undisturbed.
Common 7 mm allen key fixing to remove the sliders, 5 min job.

While you're under the rear wheel arch, there's a large (30mm) hole to the side of the damper, assume it was meant to have a blank grommet fitted to it.
:unsure: Water , salt and grit was getting in there and sitting between the two steel panels of the inner wheel arch, a real nasty MOT failure for someone down the line.
Cleaned it out best I could and squirted waxoyl in there, ordered a pack of 30mm blind grommets,
Good job I actually like fixing cars, SO much to do on one that's a month oldo_O
I don’t suppose that you took any pics?

I don’t suppose that you took any pics?
No sorry, my phone's camera is truly awful, keep threatening to get a new one. Had a look at the front calipers today, same story, pads greased but pins utterly dry.
Wondering who is actually supposed to do this job, PDI or is it a factory task ?
Parking brake release is smooth as butter now, glad I noticed it before any damage was caused.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back