Time charging

hermitdave

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
There is an issue with the MG brick or MG PDM. So far from my testing, it only works if the supply is on when the cable is connected. If the supply is disconnected (smart switch in my case), I have noticed no charge when timer kicks in.
Never had this issue with Leaf30 or Outlander Phev before.
twice I’ve gotten to the car with no charge added overnight.

Can someone validate this?

I believe the car goes to sleep after "short" amount of time. It could be this.

Before I had the Zappi fitted, I had on numerous occasions, plugged the charger in the car, then walked round the house, grabbed the extension lead, unreeled it around the house, then plugged the charger into the extension. This worked fine.

Maybe try leaving it 10mins with the charger connected to the car, then switch the charger in, if that works, leave it longer and longer until you find what the time is.

If I'm right, then I don't know what the solution is, but atleast you'll confirm the theory.

Again only a theory, but I suspect a wall charger keeps a pin "live" to keep the car awake, and hence would charge if the car is asleep. If I grab the Zappi manual I can probably test this theory if you need me to.

I believe the car goes to sleep after "short" amount of time. It could be this.

Before I had the Zappi fitted, I had on numerous occasions, plugged the charger in the car, then walked round the house, grabbed the extension lead, unreeled it around the house, then plugged the charger into the extension. This worked fine.

Maybe try leaving it 10mins with the charger connected to the car, then switch the charger in, if that works, leave it longer and longer until you find what the time is.

If I'm right, then I don't know what the solution is, but atleast you'll confirm the theory.

Again only a theory, but I suspect a wall charger keeps a pin "live" to keep the car awake, and hence would charge if the car is asleep. If I grab the Zappi manual I can probably test this theory if you need me to.
I haven’t come across charge timer on the car itself in the menu so assuming it doesn’t have any. I’m going to get Ohme commando at some point for this.
Let be try what you suggested

Can anyone confirm to me the following...?(with the granny charger)
1 ) plug the charging connector in .
2) close the car.
3) wait about 1 -2 hour.
4) now plug the charger into the wall socket (mains)

Will the car charge or not ?
I really need to know because I'm adjusting my electrical box with a new circuit for the car + integrated off peak timing modules.
Thanks Toby

Can anyone confirm to me the following...?(with the granny charger)
1 ) plug the charging connector in .
2) close the car.
3) wait about 1 -2 hour.
4) now plug the charger into the wall socket (mains)

Will the car charge or not ?
I really need to know because I'm adjusting my electrical box with a new circuit for the car + integrated off peak timing modules.
Thanks Toby
This is the setup I’ve had for Outlander. I’d plug in and later on the switch would power on according to schedule. While it worked for Outlander it didn’t for HS plugin

what HS requires is you to plug in while power is active. You’ll see connecting.. connected / charging on the screen.

once its in this state you can switch off the socket and switch on at later point

This is the setup I’ve had for Outlander. I’d plug in and later on the switch would power on according to schedule. While it worked for Outlander it didn’t for HS plugin

what HS requires is you to plug in while power is active. You’ll see connecting.. connected / charging on the screen.

once its in this state you can switch off the socket and switch on at later point
Ok but that's kinda......weird...to do it that way.... Ok no timers here then.....😒

I think it’s just over 3 meters. The ones that shipped with Leaf and Outlander were 5m. I’m having to reverse park at an angle to charge it right now.
Need to relocate the outdoor socket or buy new charger

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom