Tips for new MG4 Trophy collection check/config from dealer

StanBowlesb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all. Having ordered in early Dec, our dealer tells us the car is due in and we are aiming to collect it over the Easter weekend. This will be the first time, my wife and I have ever owned a new car. I would welcome advice on two things:
1. What are the sensible inspection checks I should do before driving it away - either checking visually myself or seeking documentation that a check has been done?
2. What initial settings should we set the vehicle control system to and regard as our default (of course, as we get used to it, we will tweak and adjust these but I would be interested in people's recommended settings)? My wife will be using it for her commute which is a 140 motorway round trip so range is important.

There's a checklist thread here:

Hi all. Having ordered in early Dec, our dealer tells us the car is due in and we are aiming to collect it over the Easter weekend. This will be the first time, my wife and I have ever owned a new car. I would welcome advice on two things:
1. What are the sensible inspection checks I should do before driving it away - either checking visually myself or seeking documentation that a check has been done?
2. What initial settings should we set the vehicle control system to and regard as our default (of course, as we get used to it, we will tweak and adjust these but I would be interested in people's recommended settings)? My wife will be using it for her commute which is a 140 motorway round trip so range is important.
Congrats, Stan.

1. There's also a doc here that I put together to take for my collection, which summarises many of the points from the thread above:

2. Settings, is quite personal. Eco makes for a relaxed driving experience. I generally use custom with steering and power set to eco, with sport brake pedal feel. Have a play, see which you prefer. You may choose to turn off lane keep assist as many do, though perhaps give it a try first, see what you think.

Hi, what model MG4 are you collecting this weekend?
A 140 mile round trip in the winter at 70mph will use more battery than on a nice summers day.
Check that it has the Granny EVSE charge cable and did you negotiate a type2 cable or any other extras?
Have you got a home EVSE charge point?
Check out Zap-map to find Rapid and destination charge points.
Enjoy the ride :cool:

Thanks folks. Those checklists and videos are really useful. We are not collecting it until 10 April but it is due at the dealer's tomorrow. I am very aware of constrained range in winter but we chose the MG4 Trophy on the basis that it would be ok for the 140 mile motorway round commute trip (70 mile each way) without the need to charge away from home. Out home charger is a three phase tethered zappi 2 charger so should be getting 11kw on that. One dumb question - it will come with a granny charger only. The dealer wants too much money for us to have a type 2 lead. But aren't most public fast chargers tethered anyway so come with their own lead to connect? How essential is it to carry a type 2 lead?

Public fast AC chargers are type2 so you wneed a cable, rapid DC CCS chargers are tethered. Destination EVSE units will need a cable like in multistorey car parks.

I collected mine today and here's the checklist I made:

MG4 Checklist (things in italics are only related to Trophy model)

Exterior
Cover underneath warping
Black trim around windows scratched
Black trim on doors not fitted well, damaged
Bonnet liner (under bonnet lid) present
Rear spoiler lifting - there was some movement in mine, didnt want to force it.
Clear boot lid movement below window / scratch marks
3 phase charging pins present in charging socket

Interior
Washer jets aligned (mine aren't very well aligned)
Tyre pressure monitoring working
iSmart Binding works with app - Make sure head unit is registered
Software Version up to date (Think latest is R33)
Granny cable (3 pin domestic socket charger in boot)
Tyre Repair Equipment (under boot lid)
Seats - creasing/damage
SatNav, Amazon Music and MG Voice activated - see Settings > Privacy > Scroll down below the "Accept" button and there will be 3 toggle switched (Trophy model only) (See image below) This one had me stumped for a few hours!

20230329_143845.jpg

I collected mine today and here's the checklist I made:

MG4 Checklist (things in italics are only related to Trophy model)

Exterior
Cover underneath warping
Black trim around windows scratched
Black trim on doors not fitted well, damaged
Bonnet liner (under bonnet lid) present
Rear spoiler lifting - there was some movement in mine, didnt want to force it.
Clear boot lid movement below window / scratch marks
3 phase charging pins present in charging socket

Interior
Washer jets aligned (mine aren't very well aligned)
Tyre pressure monitoring working
iSmart Binding works with app - Make sure head unit is registered
Software Version up to date (Think latest is R33)
Granny cable (3 pin domestic socket charger in boot)
Tyre Repair Equipment (under boot lid)
Seats - creasing/damage
SatNav, Amazon Music and MG Voice activated - see Settings > Privacy > Scroll down below the "Accept" button and there will be 3 toggle switched (Trophy model only) (See image below) This one had me stumped for a few hours!

View attachment 16405
Sounds like your dealers going to love you 😀

Thanks folks. Those checklists and videos are really useful. We are not collecting it until 10 April but it is due at the dealer's tomorrow. I am very aware of constrained range in winter but we chose the MG4 Trophy on the basis that it would be ok for the 140 mile motorway round commute trip (70 mile each way) without the need to charge away from home. Out home charger is a three phase tethered zappi 2 charger so should be getting 11kw on that. One dumb question - it will come with a granny charger only. The dealer wants too much money for us to have a type 2 lead. But aren't most public fast chargers tethered anyway so come with their own lead to connect? How essential is it to carry a type 2 lead?

I don’t public charge often, and when I do it’s shopping centres/leisure parks.
These aren’t tethered.
CCS chargers are tethered of course.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums