Today I couldn't start driving. Had to close the car and open it for it to work.

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Have this happened to anyone else? After locking the car and unlocking it again it was fine. Got all kind of error messages before locking it.

Last edited:
I've seen this mentioned before. Received wisdom is that the driver has tried to press brake and select a gear (D / R) before the car's systems had booted up.

I've never had the issue. But then I:

• Unlock the door and open it
  • Sit down in the seat
  • Put on my seat belt
  • Press the Brake pedal to go to READY state
  • Change any settings if required
  • Press the brake pedal and select the gear

The time taken for the first 3 items means the car systems have had time to initialise. :)

Yes I had twice. Not error messages, but it would not boot any screen. Last time I had cabin preheat on via the app, still running. Unlocking the car and leaving something in it, but then not in time to remove the chargecable, as that was locked in again (short time for its release). Pressed the unlock button again on keyfob, and took out chargecable. Then it would not boot any screens. Needed to lock the car and unlock it again, then it was just as normal. Don't really think it was because of the preheat alone, but probably double-unlock with cable in, as I preheat all the time and doesn't get this error when unlocking only once.

Yes, kind of. But it was a bit my fault as well. I had just used the car and thought it was locked, but it wasn't so I locked and unlocked it very fast. The mirrors was closed, but I could open the door, when I sat in seat it was completely dead. Exit and lock wait few secs then unlock and it was back as normal.

When my car is in the garage I often open the door, hit the brake, put it into drive, and drive it straight out of the garage, no waiting for anything to boot up. Never had any trouble. I get out and close the garage door, maybe load some stuff in the car, then sit down again to do the usual pre-flight of turning off LKA etc. But if I'm just going up to the shop (20 mph all the way) I might just drive straight on without bothering about any of it, and still it's fine.

Remember you are driving a computer on wheels with lots of separate modules and each one has to boot-up in a set sequence otherwise the next one down the line doesn't get the information it was expecting and throws a wobbly.
This can be the driver selecting D before everything is ready or one module reads the start message for shut down (anyone who has Alexa knows that experience) or it just doesn't start at all.
No need to panic just switch off and on again. Sorry I'm doing IT out of a job 😁

It's happened to me a couple of times with our ZS when I'm in too much of a hurry. Have to move at the car's pace!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back