RandellL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We drove from a bit North of Sydney to West of Brisbane (circa 1000 km). We encountered two significant traffic jams on the motorway outside of Brisbane. I set the cruise control to the posted speed limit. The traffic jam assist was terrific! It made the stop and go driving much less burdensome. The car adjusted to the speed in front of me but kept close enough that other cars did not try to squeeze in front of me. I focused on the driving environment and let the car do the rest. I felt noticeably more relaxed leaving the traffic jam than I usually do. I reckon it's that I did not have to continually alter the car's speed to keep pace and quickly slow down when a car squeezes into the gap between my car and the car in front. TJA is a nice feature that suits me well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good to hear - I think it was designed for countries with decent sized roads that are well maintained (like China, Australia, etc...). In the UK the systems struggle a lot more due to the narrow twisting roads and poor maintenance of the road markings and surfaces.

Just to be clear ... what you've described is ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control. Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) uses ACC but it also steers for you to try and keep the car central in the lane.

If you had the steering wheel indicator in the top-left of the driver display then you were using TJA; if not then you were just using ACC. :)

That's good to hear - I think it was designed for countries with decent sized roads that are well maintained (like China, Australia, etc...). In the UK the systems struggle a lot more due to the narrow twisting roads and poor maintenance of the road markings and surfaces.
I wouldn't use ACC on narrow, winding roads, only on a motorway. As for TJA, I've never used it (seems to me that ACC covers this pretty well, and surely I could manage to actually steer the car? :ROFLMAO: ), but it is on the list of things to try at some point.

I wouldn't use ACC on narrow, winding roads, only on a motorway. As for TJA, I've never used it (seems to me that ACC covers this pretty well, and surely I could manage to actually steer the car? :ROFLMAO: ), but it is on the list of things to try at some point.
ACC works quite well for me on a twisty mostly 50 limit B road commute that has a range of traffic from tractors to old dears to mid life crisis males all going at different speeds. The feature that slows down when you approach a corner is pretty good for this road. Less good if I take the wider, lower road with shallower bends where you don't need to slow for corners...

ACC works quite well for me on a twisty mostly 50 limit B road commute that has a range of traffic from tractors to old dears to mid life crisis males all going at different speeds. The feature that slows down when you approach a corner is pretty good for this road. Less good if I take the wider, lower road with shallower bends where you don't need to slow for corners...
I can't imagine driving with ACC along a twisty country road o_O sorry, but I think I need to be in control of negotiating corners! But if you're happy with it, who am I to argue.... :p

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back