Traffic Jam Assist

CasPol

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have read, that the MG ZS EV has "Traffic Jam Assist" . Can anyone explain how to activate the Traffic Jam Assist Function ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it just keeps slowing you to the speed of the car in front, afterwhich as it moves off you follow (and stop again if the queue slows & stops again).

Here's a screen shot from the manual (which you can download for free from the MG website)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-232200.png
    Screenshot_20210714-232200.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 427
I have read, that the MG ZS EV has "Traffic Jam Assist" . Can anyone explain how to activate the Traffic Jam Assist Function ?

Thanks.

ACC can be enabled by pulling the lower stalk towards the driver( the stalk at this point is set in a new position), after which you set a speed by pressing blue SET to the side of stalk.
This will enable front radar based stop & go.

Next, if you toggle the lower stalk twice it enables the lane keeping using the front camera.

The two together form the traffic jam assist. This system is referred to as MG Pilot in the owner's manual.

I have only managed to experiment with it a bit. I get a bit nervy with this system running.
Still learning...

I use MG Pilot on every journey. It's actually quite good; if there are no road markings it can follow the car in front instead and it steers around parked cars whilst doing it. You obviously have to be ready to intervene at any point and always keep contact with the wheel. I personally find it makes motoring much more relaxing.

ACC can be enabled by pulling the lower stalk towards the driver( the stalk at this point is set in a new position), after which you set a speed by pressing blue SET to the side of stalk.
This will enable front radar based stop & go.

Next, if you toggle the lower stalk twice it enables the lane keeping using the front camera.

The two together form the traffic jam assist. This system is referred to as MG Pilot in the owner's manual.

I have only managed to experiment with it a bit. I get a bit nervy with this system running.
Still learning...
Thanks for the explanation , that all makes sense now ! Only had the car for a few weeks and admit the Adaptive cruise Control System takes getting used to ..

It works brilliantly no question, however I don't think its worth the kick to the range, as you lose re-gen. A recent 90 mile journey gave me just 3 m/kW, whereas the same journey 3 weeks earlier, driving normally I got 3.9 m/kW.

I'll maybe put Acc on for 10 miles, to adjust driving position for a while, but not my whole motorway run.

It works brilliantly no question, however I don't think its worth the kick to the range, as you lose re-gen. A recent 90 mile journey gave me just 3 m/kW, whereas the same journey 3 weeks earlier, driving normally I got 3.9 m/kW.

I'll maybe put Acc on for 10 miles, to adjust driving position for a while, but not my whole motorway run.
Agreed, I like regen 1 when on fast roads, drive like in an ICE car but get extra miles. In fact on my recent holiday my left hand was very busy switching between regen modes depending on traffic and if lights or roundabouts were coming up etc.
I like using ACC in town to keep at speed limits but find myself using it less and less overall and Pilot virtually never.

The thing that makes me a bit nervous about MG Pilot is the fact that it can go inactive silently with only a visual indication in the instrumentation cluster switching from green to yellow. I do not constantly monitor the instrumentation cluster and sometimes miss the fact that it has turned off, leading to my car getting eerily close to the one in front with Forward collision warning turning on, and later emergency brakes being applied (the noisy relays make the emergency brake system sound like something falling apart and I do not want to have the experience frequently in my journey as it makes me anxious).

On carriageways with good lane markings and long wide bends, the MG Pilot seems to cope very well.

Mind you this is not a criticism of the car, it is simply a limitation of the technology.
As an improvement, MG could provide better feedback on occasions when MG Pilot turns off ( distinct audible alert with steering vibrations).

MG5 had a slightly better instrument cluster and was not very far from the driver's eye line so maybe the visual indication might work better in the new long-range model.

The thing that makes me a bit nervous about MG Pilot is the fact that it can go inactive silently with only a visual indication in the instrumentation cluster switching from green to yellow. I do not constantly monitor the instrumentation cluster and sometimes miss the fact that it has turned off, leading to my car getting eerily close to the one in front with Forward collision warning turning on, and later emergency brakes being applied (the noisy relays make the emergency brake system sound like something falling apart and I do not want to have the experience frequently in my journey as it makes me anxious).

On carriageways with good lane markings and long wide bends, the MG Pilot seems to cope very well.

Mind you this is not a criticism of the car, it is simply a limitation of the technology.
As an improvement, MG could provide better feedback on occasions when MG Pilot turns off ( distinct audible alert with steering vibrations).

MG5 had a slightly better instrument cluster and was not very far from the driver's eye line so maybe the visual indication might work better in the new long-range model.
I'm pretty sure it used to make a hideous bonging every time it cancelled itself but was gotten rid off at the comfort 2 update because everyone hated it.

Agreed, I like regen 1 when on fast roads, drive like in an ICE car but get extra miles. In fact on my recent holiday my left hand was very busy switching between regen modes depending on traffic and if lights or roundabouts were coming up etc.
I like using ACC in town to keep at speed limits but find myself using it less and less overall and Pilot virtually never.
This is where Hyundai and Kia have got it right - paddles attached to the wheel allow you to change regen modes without taking your hands off the wheel

I'm pretty sure it used to make a hideous bonging every time it cancelled itself but was gotten rid off at the comfort 2 update because everyone hated it.
MG got it wrong here. I think people hated frequent bongs and the fact that the bong sound in particular was irritating, but they removed almost all audio warnings(even useful ones). I came across a video of another new EV (can't remember which one) where manufacturers commissioned game development company to produce sounds for warnings in the car. I think audio feedback is important since you want to keep eyes on road as much as possible, but it is also important that the sound is more pleasing to the ears.

MG got it wrong here. I think people hated frequent bongs and the fact that the bong sound in particular was irritating, but they removed almost all audio warnings(even useful ones). I came across a video of another new EV (can't remember which one) where manufacturers commissioned game development company to produce sounds for warnings in the car. I think audio feedback is important since you want to keep eyes on road as much as possible, but it is also important that the sound is more pleasing to the ears.
Yes! I read about it recently in one of my car magazines but can't remember which car it is. Can't find it on Google either.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom