Traffic lights (etc) best practice - Auto Hold or N?

Burgo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Anyone got a take on best practice when stopping at the likes of traffic lights? We just press the brake until Auto Hold comes on (or if using One Pedal Driving let it come on automatically). I'm not sure, though, if best practice isn't to shift into N though. The manual, as ever, seems ambiguous - see extracts below.

The Gear Shift Control section says: "N Neutral Select this gear when the vehicle is stationary (for example, waiting for traffic lights)."

The Auto Hold section says: "If the vehicle is required to stop frequently for long periods while driving (such as wait at the traffic lights, stop on a slope or stop and go with traffic), the Auto Hold function can assist you in stabilising the vehicle, enabling you to remove your foot from the brake pedal when the vehicle is stationary and the Auto Hold active."

Any thoughts, anyone?

I use autohold always (day and night) it will automatically select the parking brake if you sit in autohold for too long.

I never select the parking brake except when I need to reverse on a steep hill (to hold the car - autohold is not available in reverse).

The parking brake automatically comes on when you hit (P). The name "parking brake" is a good clue: it does what it says on the tin.

Leave it in D and if there are no cars behind, auto hold, with cars behind, the little P switch.
Auto hold applies the brake lights, the P switch doesn't.
When using the little P switch, not the selector knob, the parking brake automatically releases when you press the accelerator pedal in just the same way as auto hold does.

Oh and I never use 'N' at all.

I only use 'N' if I am cleaning up my brakes TBH.

30 seconds or 1 minute, can't remember which. Actually might be longer than that, I don't know.
I'm pretty sure it's much longer than that!

I've sat with Autohold on in a car park without getting out for ages before now.
I'm not going out today but will put it to the test and find out (unless someone does it today )

I'm pretty sure it's much longer than that!

I've sat with Autohold on in a car park without getting out for ages before now.
I'm not going out today but will put it to the test and find out (unless someone does it today )
Yes, it must be longer, sorry. But it does happen to me at very slow lights or bad traffic.

Leave it in D and if there are no cars behind, auto hold, with cars behind, the little P switch.
When using the little P switch, not the selector knob, the parking brake automatically releases when you press the accelerator pedal in just the same way as auto hold does.
Go on m8, you can still technically call it the handbrake.
"Make sure you fully apply the Fingerbrake"

Last edited:
If it's daylight I use Autohold.
If it's night time I use the handbrake but leave it in D.
Saves burning your brake lights into the following driver's retinas.

Thanks for the info both ... I think I'll start doing the same 👍

Thanks for the info both ... I think I'll start doing the same 👍
Sadly my friend, this karma you are giving out to the following driver does not always manifest itself with the person in front of you.

I'm just trying the educate with kindness one driver at a time.

Don't! 🤣🤣🤣

I always use auto hold, I live on a slight hill, when I stop I engage park using tho centre button on gear selector, when I drive off I put in reverse and the car stays still until I put pressure on the accelerator then it jumps back alarmingly, what am I doing wrong?

I always use auto hold, I live on a slight hill, when I stop I engage park using tho centre button on gear selector, when I drive off I put in reverse and the car stays still until I put pressure on the accelerator then it jumps back alarmingly, what am I doing wrong?
Sticking/slow parking brake motors?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel