Trophy always charging to 100% despite setting it to 80% 🤷🏻‍♂️

I check that it's set to 80% before plugging it in. My theory is once it has been plugged in it has started the charging programme and will ignore any other changes to it.
I'm not sure that's the case with my car (Trophy). I have accidentally left the car set to 100% after a long journey and realised this after I had plugged in for the next charge. I've then gone into the app and reset it to 80% and that's where it stopped charging. So the car registered the change from 100% to 80% after I'd plugged it in.

I also get random charging schedule errors: Charges to 100%, not 80%; starts at the wrong time (outside my cheap hours!); or simpy decides not to charge at all - like last night. I assume it's just buggy software!
Mine can sometimes be like that when starting scheduled charges. It should start charging at 00.30 but sometimes starts earlier. Earlier has more than once been 10pm, which is the default start time in the app. And I have found the app has reset itself to a 10pm start on more than one occasion. I've tried all sorts of ways of sorting this as described by people on this forum, but none have been 100% successful with my car (Trophy).

My latest method has worked for the past 4 or 5 charges in succession. I'm now setting the schedule and charge level in the car and then plugging in. I then use the app to force start a charge before the scheduled charge time and then use the app to immediately stop the charge (so it costs very little at all even at peak rate). I then check the settings in the app match the ones in the car and leave everything alone after that. So far, it has started and ended charging at the set times and stopped at the set percentage.

I realise that this could just be a lucky coincidence and that the car would have behaved properly anyhow! But I'll stick with it until it fails and then try something else!

After some months of erratic charging I think I have now fixed the problem. My Podpoint is 6+ yrs old and when installed it just used the earth connection to the main fuse board. Although a recent upgrade to the main fuse showed the house has a good earth loop impedence (0.17 ohms), I know that cars / chargers like a good earth. So I added an extra earth spike near the charger and ran some 6mm earth cable into the Podpoint. Since then I have had no charging failures and it reliabilty charges overnight on the cheap tariff. I don't know if this is true for other peoples problems, but it was a quick and easy fix for me!

Mine has never respected the 80% setting, regardless of whether I set it in the car or the app.
It doesn't sit for long at 100% though, maybe an hour or so as I time the charge from 00.00 to 07.30 on any day I charge it. I'm usually off to work by 08.00 for a 25 mile trip.
I generally charge once a week from around 15 - 20%, if I know I wont be using the car for a day or so when it gets to that point, I'll delay the charge to avoid it sitting fully charged.
Charger is an Easee One
I have a couple of other niggles as well (like most I guess) so I'll discuss it with the dealer at service time.

Last edited:
I never set the percentage in car, always via the app but sometimes it just ignores the 80% set and charges to 100%. It does this on average 1 in 5 charges, that I find the setting has changed automatically from battery health to long trip mode. I am not sure if this is a feature or just some bug.
I wonder if it’s something to do with battery calibration? Needs to do a full charge after a set number of cycles maybe? 🤔

Mine has started changing the setting from 80% to 100% fairly often since the last update of the app. It's maybe worse since my car had its first service so there could be an update there causing it. I use scheduled charges and setting it to 80% on the car and checking that the app agrees before plugging in the car. The car sometimes behaves but sometimes goes beyond 80%. The car does stop charging at the scheduled time so doesn't carry on to 100%, but it's still annoying!

I suspect something has changed after the car has been updated. Since then it oten starts charging immediately after I plug it in to leave for its scheduled charge and I have to stop it (using the app). It can sometimes do this a couple of times before it settles and waits for the correct start time. I've got my grandson on green light watch!

There are times that I miss my BMW i3 which, despite being from 2014, would reliably charge to a schedule. In fact, it had no software problems at all that I can remember.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back