Trophy Charge Limit Changes Automatically

Eejit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Had my Trophy since October and loving it.
Had the usual issues, oil leak etc, but not enough to put me off.

I normally have the charge limit set in the app to 80% and this works fine. I occasionally take it up to 100% if contemplating a longer journey or to balance to batteries once a month. However, sometimes I find the app/car has changed the charge limit to 100% automatically.
Anyone know why this happens? Is it the car deciding that a battery balance is required? or some other reason, such as a bug in the software? Searched the forum but not seen this mentioned before.

I read on FaceAche that a software update for this has been released. I’ve seen no other mention of this fix so do not know if it true.
I had software updates done 3 weeks ago and if a bug it's not been fixed.
I'll not lose any sleep over it, but curious as to why it happens. Would be good if the car did it because it decided it need to balance the batteries :)

I doubt that it overrides the 80% setting if it needs to balance the batteries as my Trophy does some balancing after it has reached 80%. And, it is not advised to keep the car at 100% if you are not going to use it in the next day or so.

Mine also changed itself from 80% to 70% which suggests a software fault

I raised this problem with the dealer who said they would raise a technical case with MG. Hopefully they can sort it when my car goes in for the breather fix in a couple of weeks.

I doubt that it overrides the 80% setting if it needs to balance the batteries as my Trophy does some balancing after it has reached 80%. And, it is not advised to keep the car at 100% if you are not going to use it in the next day or so.

Mine also changed itself from 80% to 70% which suggests a software fault

I raised this problem with the dealer who said they would raise a technical case with MG. Hopefully they can sort it when my car goes in for the breather fix in a couple of weeks.
Just come across this thread. Mines been doing this too- resetting the charge limit to 100%. I figured it was probably a bug, been happening since R33. Any update on it?

Just come across this thread. Mines been doing this too- resetting the charge limit to 100%. I figured it was probably a bug, been happening since R33. Any update on it?
By coincidence, this email from my dealer landed at about the same time as your post.
“We have received a reply from MG regarding the app issues you were having , They asked us firstly to make sure your car is running the latest FICM software (it is we updated this when the car was in on 09/05) They then asked us to ask you to ensure your phone is running the latest version of the app and then test the car again using only the App charge settings and not the bar in the vehicle and see if it makes a difference”

Well my iPhone iSmart app is V1.1.1 and I always set the charge level in the app and not in the car. I’ll need to charge the car a few times to see if the problem has been solved (it always was an intermittent fault).

By coincidence, this email from my dealer landed at about the same time as your post.
“We have received a reply from MG regarding the app issues you were having , They asked us firstly to make sure your car is running the latest FICM software (it is we updated this when the car was in on 09/05) They then asked us to ask you to ensure your phone is running the latest version of the app and then test the car again using only the App charge settings and not the bar in the vehicle and see if it makes a difference”

Well my iPhone iSmart app is V1.1.1 and I always set the charge level in the app and not in the car. I’ll need to charge the car a few times to see if the problem has been solved (it always was an intermittent fault).
Interesting thanks. Don’t know if mine is on the latest version. Car was last in for a software update in February so probably not.

Well it’s done it again.
Connected the car to charger at home
Used app to set limit to 80%. App confirmed this with “success” at 1451 this afternoon.
Checked app at 1907 and the slider had moved itself to 70%
Moved it back to 80% and waited for “success”
Will I get 80% tonight? Answers on a postcard please ……

We've got the same issue since ours was updated. 3 or 4 times now it's reset to 100% which is annoying as we're trying to look after the battery.

Noticed on mine if I set the 80% limit via the app before starting the charge it resets to 100% when I plug in … but if i set it after starting the charge the 80% limit works.

Does it make any difference doing it via the in car screen?

I know the charge limit will reset to 100% if the Infotainment screen is rebooted, so I wonder if this is related to the problem - maybe it is crashing regularly?

I've found that the charge level resets if the infotainment system reboots, or starts abnormally as it does every few days - it only boots up after I've been driving for a few seconds.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back