Trophy Connect 72.6kwh range

Terry2

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
1647931036909.png

This is a picture of a Trophy Connect 71 registration. But it seems to show 201 estimated miles on a 100% charge? I thought it should be nearer 273. Does this make sense to anyone?

View attachment 7561

This is a picture of a Trophy Connect 71 registration. But it seems to show 201 estimated miles on a 100% charge? I thought it should be nearer 273. Does this make sense to anyone?
273 is an estimate based on WLTP conditions. The range quoted will be the car’s estimate based on temperature and previous driving styles. At this time of year, imagine even the time of day (cold mornings, sunny warm days) might impact it.

If it's a demonstrator, it has probably been driven in a very uneconomical way with "launches" to try the instant torque etc. This will cause the GOM to estimate a low range.

If it's a demonstrator, it has probably been driven in a very uneconomical way with "launches" to try the instant torque etc. This will cause the GOM to estimate a low range.
Maybe try resetting both of the trip counters also ?.
Our car was charged to 98 - 99% when we collected it last week.
I think it displayed 271 ( ish ) miles of predicted range.
Our trip home was around 95 miles and we still had about 155 miles of range remaining.
The efficiency was 4.4 M/Kwh.

Last edited:
Why would it say plug in charger when 100% maybe a balance charge is needed?
Screenshot_20220322_100723.jpg

Was that range in ECO mode?
Sorry - I never looked !.
I always use the default mode of normal and Regen level 3 on my previous ZS EV.
So I am doing like wise on the new face lift in order to get a back to back comparison.
Not covered many miles yet, but the Regen strength appears weaker at higher states of change.
Our previous Gen1 model had the Jan20 BMS update, and the high strength of the Regen was available very early in warm weather conditions.
The Regen strength increased as we used some of that large battery !.
It feels strange, looking down at the GOM after covering about a 100 miles and still seeing a huge amount of range remaining.
It will take a bit of getting accustomed too, after having the Gen1 model for over two years and almost 20,000 miles.
After full charge and balance we would regularly see a predicted and consistent return range of 153 miles in normal mode on the GOM.
Some battery degradation had obviously taken place over the time of our ownership.
I guess the SOH of the HV battery would be around the 94% mark now ?.

I saw this one being advertised. This was one of the pictures the dealer had on their website with other views of the interior, so it struck me as being a bit odd. In the Gen 1 model I have it's always shown either 163-165 miles (Eco, cold weather) or 175 miles (Eco, warm weather) after a 100% recharge; that's after about 5,000 of miles so far. As an aside, my range experience so far is that I pretty much get what it says on the tin. I travel about 100 miles on a return trip twice a month with 40 miles of that on the motorway. Coldest weather was -1 degrees. So starting out on a cold day with 163 (Eco), after infrequent use of the aircon to clear the windscreen, I can return with 50-60 (Eco). However my motorway speed is 60-65mph, only increasing to overtake slower traffic. Having had 3 tickets (all on the motorway) I am now pretty relaxed about that speed! I have a daily journey of 8 miles each way. I can start off with (Eco) 163 or 165 and after travelling 8 miles and parking underground I find that the GOM is still at 163 or 165, so temperature really does make a bit of a difference.

Also if the air conditioning or heater is on, in the original model it would take away a lot of estimated range. The quoted 263mi would be for climate control off (first rule of advertising: always pick the most favourable conditions to quote specifications). In the original model, it was some sort of fixed range "hit" (perhaps a percentage of otherwise estimated range), regardless of how hot or cold it was set to, blower setting, etc.

.... but the Regen strength appears weaker at higher states of change.
That's entirely normal; with the battery full, or almost full, there is nowhere for the charge generated by the regen to go, so it is dialled back automatically until the battery reaches a state of charge where it can accept the power generated back into it.

I saw this one being advertised. This was one of the pictures the dealer had on their website with other views of the interior, so it struck me as being a bit odd. In the Gen 1 model I have it's always shown either 163-165 miles (Eco, cold weather) or 175 miles (Eco, warm weather) after a 100% recharge; that's after about 5,000 of miles so far. As an aside, my range experience so far is that I pretty much get what it says on the tin. I travel about 100 miles on a return trip twice a month with 40 miles of that on the motorway. Coldest weather was -1 degrees. So starting out on a cold day with 163 (Eco), after infrequent use of the aircon to clear the windscreen, I can return with 50-60 (Eco). However my motorway speed is 60-65mph, only increasing to overtake slower traffic. Having had 3 tickets (all on the motorway) I am now pretty relaxed about that speed! I have a daily journey of 8 miles each way. I can start off with (Eco) 163 or 165 and after travelling 8 miles and parking underground I find that the GOM is still at 163 or 165, so temperature really does make a bit of a difference.
So you don't actually have the vehicle to check what mode it was in...?

That's entirely normal; with the battery full, or almost full, there is nowhere for the charge generated by the regen to go, so it is dialled back automatically until the battery reaches a state of charge where it can accept the power generated back into it.
I do understand that thanks, maybe I did not explain it very well.
I was just making the observation that the higher state of Regen was more noticeable, at an earlier stage on the Gen1 model.
As soon as there was space in the pack on the Gen1 model, the Regen became available.
This was as a direct result of creating more space at the upper buffer of the pack, when the Jan BMS update was released and applied to certain vehicles.
The new face lift LR model has a much weaker Regen state, until it reaches about 85% as best as I can tell.

So you don't actually have the vehicle to check what mode it was in ... ?
No, it was a only a screenshot from a car being advertised for sale. 100% with 201 miles threw me and I wondered what I might be missing. The point made by Coulomb was an interesting one. With the Gen1 model it always reverts to the same estimated mileage after a full charge. However there is a chance that driving style is now being remembered and the GOM mileage displayed on that basis. Maybe something to check out next time the MG forum runs, since I'm sure that Miles from Chorley will know. I had a BMW 530e hybrid that did the same thing. The "official" hybrid miles was 24. When I picked it up from the dealer it said 11! Over time my driving style brought it back up to 20, with a once-in-a-lifetime max of 28.

Wonder in that case if the "every day" limit of 80% is to give better long term economy (more regen) than it is about protecting the battery?
Maybe ????.
I noticed when driving today, that the Regen strength was really strong !.
There is plenty of space in the pack right now.
Battery percentage is currently at 43% and 117 miles of range remaining, the battery indicator moves from a green status, to a amber status at about 50% remaining in the battery.
We have only covered about 200 miles now, but the efficiency is looking pretty good to me ?.
It is hovering at a average of around 4.2 / 4.3 M/kwh.
I think the best I ever seen once on my Gen 1 model was 5.0 M/kwh.

I wonder if the dealer might've got their pics mixed up and used a shot of the info screen from a standard range 51kWh rather than the long range model

My car recharged to 80% last night and the range shows 233 mile normal mode. The temperature is 16 degree now. It was 197 miles range at 80% while temperature was 4 degree a month ago.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom