Trophy Satnav

wandle MG4 trophy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Am very impressed with the inbuilt satnav in the Trophy. I use it all the time rather than worrying about Carplay dropping out and losing Waze or Google Maps. It’s significantly better than my old stick-on Garmin

Good points:
Voice is natural and clear (but you cannot select a different voice)
Search function works well and includes EV chargers with charging capacity
Pinch and zoom works well
Map is clear and splits into 2 when you get to a complicated junction - left side shows the lanes to use
Real time traffic updates are great (alerted me to a very recent accident and rerouted me)
Calculates route according to time of day (eg If a turning is only allowed after 1900 or at weekends it adjusts the route accordingly)
Recalculates your route very quickly if you ignore her suggested turning
You can set a small and simple secondary display in the driver binnacle

Less good:
It freezes often. (Just touch screen to unfreeze)
Sending a destination from the app is unintuitive and clumsy
Adding favourites is complicated
The menu bar towards the top of the screen gets in the way of the map

I was using the inbuilt sat nav, until the all too frequent screen freeze. Good to know that it is easy to un-freeze, so thanks for the tip.
I reverted back to Waze and will likely now until the bug is fixed before using again.

Just one thing to bear in mind: updates to the maps have to be purchased, at not inconsiderable cost. This has always been the case for built-in MG SatNavs.

Just one thing to bear in mind: updates to the maps have to be purchased, at not inconsiderable cost. This has always been the case for built-in MG SatNavs.
True. There’s not a lot of clarity about any of the live services for the MG4. I have seen reports they will be free for 3,5 or 7 years!

I don't think this is true, check this thread:

If you are fed up of the hopelessly unreliable speed limit recognition system which puts the speed limit in the driver’s binnacle then use the satnav instead. There’s a setting in the satnav menu which adds the speed limit to the satnav screen. I guess it is based on map data and GPS and is therefore more more reliable than the camera based system.

Am very impressed with the inbuilt satnav in the Trophy. I use it all the time rather than worrying about Carplay dropping out and losing Waze or Google Maps. It’s significantly better than my old stick-on Garmin

Good points:
Voice is natural and clear (but you cannot select a different voice)
Search function works well and includes EV chargers with charging capacity
Pinch and zoom works well
Map is clear and splits into 2 when you get to a complicated junction - left side shows the lanes to use
Real time traffic updates are great (alerted me to a very recent accident and rerouted me)
Calculates route according to time of day (eg If a turning is only allowed after 1900 or at weekends it adjusts the route accordingly)
Recalculates your route very quickly if you ignore her suggested turning
You can set a small and simple secondary display in the driver binnacle

Less good:
It freezes often. (Just touch screen to unfreeze)
Sending a destination from the app is unintuitive and clumsy
Adding favourites is complicated
The menu bar towards the top of the screen gets in the way of the map
I've reported the sat nav freeze to the dealer and asked it to be logged with MG . The more complaints they get , the bigger chance of an update.

I don't think this is true, check this thread:
My Trophy's sat nav was showing a new road close to where I work before it was even opened !

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back