Trouble activating HVAC via app

DrAndyPerry

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi folks,

I'm having trouble activating my MG4s (SE SR) HVAC via the app. It usually just gives me the "Failure, The remote control instruction failed, please try again later (40). " message.

Most cases I can still unlock and lock the care via the app, so I know that the car has connections and commands can get through.

I've tried a number of scenarios:-

After a significant (usually overnight) time.
  • unlocking and re-locking the door with the app - afterwards still cannot activate HVAC
  • unlocking and re-locking the door with the key - afterwards still cannot activate HVAC
  • Turning HVAC off in car before car exit - afterwards still cannot activate HVAC
  • Having HVAC on in car before car exit - afterwards still cannot activate HVAC - although this worked once and gave me false hope!

If I physically get in the car and boot it up, then re-lock the door the remote HVAC usually works. This kind of defeats the point of it though!

I've heard comments about the car entering some form of deep sleep, however I can still lock and unlock the car via the app, so I do know I've got connectivity.

Questions for the MG4 community
Is anyone's remote HVAC working fine after parking overnight?
Has anyone had any magic combinations of actions that make the HVAC activation more reliable?
Any hints and tips for me?

Thanks,

Andy

Works fine for me and actually seems to be more reliable after the last couple of app updates.
The only time it fails is when plugged in and charging, just to check that you don't charge overnight prior to trying to attempt to turn on the HVAC?
There are a number of threads on this already could be worth having a look through those.

I do usually charge my vehicle overnight. The charging is normally finished by 4:30, the car usually remains plugged in as it is now. I can't activate HVAC.
Although I was away for the past few days and the car wasn't plugged in or charged, the first morning I could start the HVAC with the app and the second morning I could not, without being charged prior.

Curious!

I'll check out the other threads, I couldn't find any when I looked quickly. I'll try again.
Thanks,
AJP

Failing to pre heat the cabin while plugged in not charging is a known issue. MG have said they are working in resolving this, no timescale for a fix though. Fir me this is the only real time it fails
People have had it other random failures, often opening and closing the car with the key wakes it up, though as you seem to have a connection to the car it seems different.
Most threads call it pre heating

Thanks for that. I've looked up what you've said and tried it. If I turn my pod point on and then activate HVAC it seems to work. That's great! Thanks.

I've set scheduled charging but last time I tried that it didn't stop at the allocated time, I'll try again. At least I know that I can tun on my pod point manually first and then activate the HVAC.

It'd be nice if they fix this as I'd prefer to preheat the car form the battery than the mains.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back