Troublesome figures

I have only had my EV a couple of weeks but I just find the whole GOM thing a lottery. Turn car on one time, 70 miles range next time 50 miles, after only doing a couple of miles. Charged with granny charger and got the recommended 449V. Just got my home charger yesterday, charged last night and have voltage of 455V. Assured by dealership when picked up the car that it has all the latest software updates. No wonder they call it a guessometer. Will never trust it to give anything like an accurate range until they sort out the software.
I’d report it to the dealer as mine hasn’t done this in the 15 month, 18000+ miles of ownership…

I have only had my EV a couple of weeks but I just find the whole GOM thing a lottery. Turn car on one time, 70 miles range next time 50 miles, after only doing a couple of miles. Charged with granny charger and got the recommended 449V. Just got my home charger yesterday, charged last night and have voltage of 455V. Assured by dealership when picked up the car that it has all the latest software updates. No wonder they call it a guessometer. Will never trust it to give anything like an accurate range until they sort out the software.
I also have this issue with the GOM, get down to 70, do a short trip, start up again and now only show 50, even though have only done 5 miles. I am now trying not to go below 80 range, especially since changing to Octopus, so that at the most I only need to charge up to 80 more on the charge.

Remember that the range remaining estimate depends on many factors: recent driving, whether the HVAC in on/off (doesn't matter what settings other than on/off), and drive mode (Eco/Normal/Sports). So that's 6 different estimates (guesses), plus recent driving history. Eventually plus the estimated health of the battery.

It's a tough job estimating remaining range.

Hi, just another update from me. Since the BMS update I have been completing balance charges most evenings to repair the damage, it did show 439 volts before I set out on a long journey over the last couple of days. I made use of rapid charges and noticed a significant discrepancy. On one occasion I had 10 miles left of range, I plugged into a BP Pulse CCS and after 34 minutes it had shown it had reached 82% SOC yet it had only added 22.2kWh. The voltage was around 430 volts. The dealership told me when I collected the car afters it's BMS update that a Rapid charge would not have any detrimental effect but this doesn't seem true. I would be grateful for any views on this as it caused some measure of panic on the M1. As I said before I had managed to balance charge at home on my 7kW to 439 volts and I assumed that setting of on my journey I would see better range then I had before (previous post I saw 119) and rapid charges would be ok.
P.S I am aware that rapid charges do not balance the cells.

Further update, after last nights 7kW home charge and long balance I am now seeing 440 volts.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom