Tumble dryer?

Alun26

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Can anyone confirm that I can run a tumble dryer that is rated at 2.3kW from my ZS EV V2L function, as I get conflicting info from a Google search? Thanks

I am sure mg advise 2kw max so you should be OK. YouTube video shows a radiator running at just under 3kw

Thanks for this, I'm still a little confused as I am unable to find anything about the max load on the MG UK website, but on the MG Europe website it states that deliver 2500W. Has anyone run a tumble and with no issues?

In this thread, a number of people have run 3kW appliances, including myself (3kW kettle).

Can anyone confirm that I can run a tumble dryer that is rated at 2.3kW from my ZS EV V2L function, as I get conflicting info from a Google search? Thanks
What is your V2L cable rated at?
Some people have made their own and fit a different value resistor to tell the car what to output.

According to this article about EVs in general & re. V2L:
"The 2023 MG ZS EV now comes with V2L functionality courtesy of an adaptor that plugs into the car's charging port, with a maximum load of 2200W and an output of 2.2kW" & so this device appears at least borderline, but perhaps too much. In general though, my understand of V2L on many cars is really designed for small devices, like a vacuum cleaner, fan, portable fridge etc.

Another thing to factor in - the dryer might be borderline whilst running, but often devices with motors and start capacitors (such as dryers) have a higher start up load that peaks for a fraction of a second- which may be an issue.

I've run my tumble dryer with no problems from V2L, though I use a self made cable that allows a higher output.
I have also run my lawn mower, strimmer and washing machine from V2L (though not all at the same time!) Charge the car at low overnight rate, good savings to be made!

I had a Tesla Powerwall installed last month, so this has taken over from the car, but V2L will still be used for mowing etc for ease of use.

Some of the newer heat pump tumble dryers demand a lot less energy than the older type more basis units.
The older greedy units can demand 3 kW and cycle on the thermostat.
I personally don’t like the idea of the inverter in the car, pulsing in and out all of the time with the high demand, these older type dryers require.
It maybe okay in theory, but personally I am not keen on this type of practice myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom