Type 2 cable for Phase 2

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Will a 16amp 3 phase 11kW be suitable for charge at an old ChargeMaster wall box (at home) and out and about?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 70
Ian, Ian Ian, what are you saying! A 16 amp cable will have 2.5mm conductors, if that is put into a 32amp single phase which should have 6mm conductors one 2.5 wire will be pulling too much current for its capacity. It might get a tad warm! I,m assuming Siw80 has a single phase wallbox and not 3 phase.

Last edited:
Ian, Ian Ian, what are you saying! A 16 amp cable will have 2.5mm conductors, if that is put into a 32amp single phase which should have 6mm conductors one 2.5 wire will be pulling too much current for its capacity. It might get a tad warm! I,m assuming Siw80 has a single phase wallbox and not 3 phase.
Correct single phase but will need to check the breaker size

For the Phase 2 on 7.2 kw charger in the car , you,ll need 32amp breaker and and specific RCD with minimum 6mm cable throughout on a dedicated circuit. Optional use of surge protection and specific earthing is also recommended. A trusted electrician should be your first port of call. Good luck with it all.

Last edited:
You mean the cable won't tell the car that it's only rated for 16A? (Cables tend to have a resistor in them, the value of which provides info to the car's onboard charger).

I might have misread the question :unsure: I thought it was about a Type 2 EV charging cable.

If I may quote Eric Cantona " When the seagulls .........." It seems the little fish has been thrown back in. It appears I did not consider the pp and cp connections and their actions on the OBC. Lets just call me an idiot and have done with it!

For the Phase 2 on 7.2 kw charger in the car , you,ll need 32amp breaker and and specific RCD with minimum 6mm cable throughout on a dedicated circuit. Optional use of surge protection and specific earthing is also recommended. A trusted electrician should be your first port of call. Good luck with it all.
The charger was installed a couple of years ago for my old Zoe

Sorry, SiW80 I do not have any knowledge of the Zoe charger, or anything else it would appear. But whilst the relevant members are involved can I hijack your post with a slightly relevant query. I have a Morec granny charger with a type 2 plug, the cable is 2.5 mm 3 core with a 0.5 communication wire, all good. On the wall plug side it has the same cable going to the factory moulded 3 pin plug . Where does the 0.5 wire start and terminate on this side of the granny charger, thanks.

It doesn't ... there are electronics in the "box" which does the communication with the car. The 3-pin side is simply for the electricity supply (and earth) so doesn't need that comms wire.

It doesn't ... there are electronics in the "box" which does the communication with the car. The 3-pin side is simply for the electricity supply (and earth) so doesn't need that comms wire.
Thanks , thats what I assumed, but I,ve recently doubted my sanity! I imagine its quicker and easier for Morec to use the same cable each side of the granny but not use the 0.5 wire on the supply side, leaving it redundant. But with a factory sealed system you never know!

If the cable does have the wire on the 3-pin plug side, then they'll simply not terminate it ... or maybe they'll tie it to the earth pin just so it's not floating.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back