Type 2 cable recommendation

Bought a Type 2 cable when we purchased our ZS TLR back un June. used it once , waste of time and money (for me at least).

Rolfe - Yes, but we rarely have much in the boot and it's out the way under the lifted floor so haven't bothered - I would if I was doing a long trip properly loaded up though

I don't have the lifted floor so it's handy to keep it out of the way permanetly.
Aaaaahh, SE vs Trophy, different.

Similar issues in the battery balancing thread. We’re approx 50/50 talking about completely different things, and in the battery thread the difference is actually really important.

Is there a way of easily getting at which car a poster has through their profile, I can’t see how to if you can?

If not, wouldn’t it be better if everyone was asked to add a signature with their model (and maybe country), so we can avoid confusion or inadvertently talking with crossed threads?

Aaaaahh, SE vs Trophy, different.

Similar issues in the battery balancing thread. We’re approx 50/50 talking about completely different things, and in the battery thread the difference is actually really important.

Is there a way of easily getting at which car a poster has through their profile, I can’t see how to if you can?

If not, wouldn’t it be better if everyone was asked to add a signature with their model (and maybe country), so we can avoid confusion or inadvertently talking with crossed threads?
The model appears below a person's avatar in desktop or landscape display modes, assuming they have set it up correctly.

The model appears below a person's avatar in desktop or landscape display modes, assuming they have set it up correctly.
Ahaaaa, I knew I had seen it before, must have been on the laptop. I guess I’ll be frequently rotating my phone when reading the forum in future 😀

All of this is all very well, but (a) what length should you get and (b) what colour should it be? :)
(Actually the length issue is relevant. We bought a 5m cable, thinking it may be necessary, but I'm beginning to think a more manageable 2 or 3m cable might have been more sensible.)

All of this is all very well, but (a) what length should you get and (b) what colour should it be? :)
(Actually the length issue is relevant. We bought a 5m cable, thinking it may be necessary, but I'm beginning to think a more manageable 2 or 3m cable might have been more sensible.)
When considering buying a type 2 cable, it maybe worth considering where your charge port is located on your current and any future EV's your maybe considering.
Some EV's have a front facing charge ports, where others have theirs located above the rear wheel arch on either side of the car etc.
Also the location of your wall box at home of course.
Increasing the size of the lead is one option, but this can make the cable heavy to manage for some people.
Regarding colour, I would favour a brightly coloured cable myself.
As this can reduce the risk of a "Trip Hazard".

Ok, I've weighed up the pros and cons of having one, and I'm going to purchase given the advice concerning unexpected need!
Here's a cable I've found......I'm hoping this is allowed - if not, my apologies.
I'm really looking to check that this is the right Type 2 to Type 2 cable for emergency 7.5kw charging (as fast chargers have the fast-charge cable....). I've gone for the 7.5kwhr cable as I have a rear wiper on my LR Trophy, and if memory serves, someone said that the wiper being present meant that the 22Kwph cable would not be appropriate.
Here's the link - it's to Amazon Prime....

My home EVSE has a 5m (black) cable; in the car I keep a 4m (blue*) Type 2 cable. :)

* It's a Tesla 3-phase cable, from back when we were able to buy them from the Tesla store.

My go to supplier for a variety of cables and adapters:

Ok, I've weighed up the pros and cons of having one, and I'm going to purchase given the advice concerning unexpected need!
Here's a cable I've found......I'm hoping this is allowed - if not, my apologies.
I'm really looking to check that this is the right Type 2 to Type 2 cable for emergency 7.5kw charging (as fast chargers have the fast-charge cable....). I've gone for the 7.5kwhr cable as I have a rear wiper on my LR Trophy, and if memory serves, someone said that the wiper being present meant that the 22Kwph cable would not be appropriate.
Here's the link - it's to Amazon Prime....

Looks OK to me. Good price too.

Typo fixed for you. :)
Yep I can confirm the early MG4's are 11KW AC (after I bought the 22KW cable). I used it down at Corfe Castle West Street Car Park last week and got 10.7KW out of the MER charger which I was well pleased with. But I have only used the cable three times in the last 14mths.

KUAX charger arrived today - less than 24hrs after ordering off Amazon.
Looks fine and specs appear to be correct.
Now to test it!!

I had a 7kW charge cable for my MG5 SR, kept it under the bonnet and have used it a surprising number of times. I recently changed to an MG5 Trophy and got a 3 phase cable as it can charge at 11kW. A thicker cable for sure, but still fits under the bonnet and a good price:
Gruensauber Type 2 to Type 2 EV charging cable, 3 Phase, 32 Amp, 22kw, 5M Mode 3 EV Charging Cable, with Free Carry Case [amazon]

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back