Tyre choice FYI

STMDUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just a heads up ladies and gents,

I'm a fleet manager, and we have around 20 MG4's on local fleet currently. A couple of the cars have had new tyres put on, and the tyre company in question are suggesting Pirelli Powergy's or Bridgestone Turanza's.

On I took one of our 4's in for some new boots and had a set of Powergy's fitted before doing a round of depot visits, I'd personally say no if they are offered to you! Range dropped by around 5% which is one thing, but from the first moment, they are twitchy and squirrelly under braking and cornering.

I know they are new, but I drove that car from London to Birmingham on Monday, from Brum to Gateshead on Tuesday, Gateshead to London and onto Avonmouth on Wednesday, Thursday back to London and brought it back to Brum today, and still very skittish and are not exactly instilling confidence. A couple of the other guys have noticed this on their cars or others with this particular combo involved.

I'm not sure if they are just cack or they just don't suit the characteristics of the car very well, but it's just a FYI in case you need it.

A few have fitted all seasons, hopefully hear soon how they are getting on with them. I fitted continental contact 2 to my zs, so much better. My mg4 came with continental turanzas, which are very good so far .

This thread has a lot of discussion about tyre choice, and could be worth a read.

Thanks for the warning as on the surface they look like a good tyre, A rated for wet and B for fuel economy with a 68 db rating.
Just playing devil's advocate, did you check the pressures, had they over inflated the tyres when they fitted them?

Thanks for the warning as on the surface they look like a good tyre, A rated for wet and B for fuel economy with a 68 db rating.
Just playing devil's advocate, did you check the pressures, had they over inflated the tyres when they fitted them?
That's actually a good question, I did. They were bob on correct. I tried taking them down a couple of PSI too just in case that helped, but no such luck.

I don't think they are a terrible tyre as we have them on some other cars on fleet, but I think they prehaps don't quite suit the cars handling characteristics (a little like the TF was very fussy about tyres and it even forced MG Rover to change their OEM tyre as a result).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back