Tyre pressure display in kpa (kilopascals) not Bar

rjhfandclf

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
When I collected the car, the tyre pressure monitor showed readings in kpa. Everywhere in documentation etc., Bar readings are shown and quoted. I can so far see/find nowhere in settings or manually switching to change this 'annoyance'. I am aware that it is only a question of moving two decimal points, but does anyone know where this can be aligned with MG standard information?

You'll find that kPa readings are more granular and so give a more accurate reading ... the Bar readings are only to 1 decimal place and so can be 1 psi out vs what's displayed. (e.g. the recommended standard pressure is 37 psi, which is 2.55 Bar ... in the car you'd see 2.5 or 2.6, but you would see 255 kPa) :) If I couldn't have psi then I'd prefer kPa over Bar.

I assume your other readings are Imperial (miles)? If they're metric (km) then that maybe accounts for the kPa reading.

If I couldn't have psi then I'd prefer kPa over Bar.
Thanks - and yes, I do recognise the increased accuracy of kpa over bar; it's just the inconsistency that's a trifle annoying.

But, oh! for good old psi - my 'standard' for the past 60-odd years, but that doesn't register anywhere on my car, that I can see.
I assume your other readings are Imperial (miles)? If they're metric (km) then that maybe accounts for the kPa reading.
Yes; I've flicked back and forth, but it seems unrelated and changes nothing.
I don't think there's any way to change the display in the car but the ISmart app shows the readings in Bar.
Yes, thanks; I did notice that - but it was just the in-car display that I would refer to in 'mid-flight'.

You'll find that kPa readings are more granular and so give a more accurate reading ... the Bar readings are only to 1 decimal place and so can be 1 psi out vs what's displayed. (e.g. the recommended standard pressure is 37 psi, which is 2.55 Bar ... in the car you'd see 2.5 or 2.6, but you would see 255 kPa) :) If I couldn't have psi then I'd prefer kPa over Bar.

From what I’ve seen. I think when the display is in kpa it will display increments of 4 kpa therefore 252 256 260 264 268 272

Still more granular than what I assume are 10 kPa increments when showing in Bar. :)

But I'm pretty sure I've seen someone show a screenshot / photo where a reading of 255 kPa was showing.

From what I’ve seen. I think when the display is in kpa it will display increments of 4 kpa therefore 252 256 260 264 268 272
That appears more than likely to me too (but, siteguru, perhaps models/software versions differ?) . My display readings seem always divisible by 4. I went round them all yesterday with my fairly good (I think) Wolf pump, which has many alternative scales, and it read completely different figures from the car's display - but then I believe the record on the car would have been fixed at the pressures recorded when it last stopped. Ironically, although the pump seemed to read precise to-the-unit kpa figures when attached, when I used that scale to adjust them to a pre-set level of 250, it only offered me - convenient as it happens for 2.5 bar all round - multiples of 5 kpa!

I have now driven the car for 100 miles and so tested the outcome: The ambient air temp upon departing has risen by 10C, and the bar reading on iSmart showed 2.60 (forgot to check the car bar reading in haste). When we returned with warmed tyres, iSmart showed bar pressures of 2.70 all round, while the car showed 3 tyres at 268 in hpa, and the 4th at 272 - showing a degree of rounding I Guess. I will take the cold readings again, if I can remember.

Last edited:
I received a software update last week. (MG4 64 kWh Essence in Canberra Australia). Dealer had no idea what software version it was. The update changed the tyre pressure units from kPa to bar. Not an improvement. It also changed the cruise control increment from 5 km/hr to 1 km/hr which was an improvement.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back