Tyre Pressure & TPMS

MonsterMonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just a point from my lesson learnt.

When we got our 5LR a year ago the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) showed the tyres at 2.0 bar. After coming back from its first service it was still 2.0 bar. So I've always assumed 2.0 bar was correct until I read the pressure figures inside the door; 2.2 bar!

Granted that I should check tyres probably weekly but I've naively trusted the TPMS. I would have thought it would have said some about tyre being under pressure.

So the TPMS should be treated like the GOM.

Probably no harm to have a routine and check the tyres regularly?

Mine were 2.2 until my local MG garage inflated the tyres to 2.6 after it's first service despite, as you say, the door sticker recommending 2.2! My local indie tyre garage didn't believe me when I told them the official pressure was 2.2 bar. They thought a 'heavy car' like the MG5 should be 2.6 as well.

When we got our 5LR a year ago the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) showed the tyres at 2.0 bar. After coming back from its first service it was still 2.0 bar. So I've always assumed 2.0 bar was correct until I read the pressure figures inside the door; 2.2 bar!

Granted that I should check tyres probably weekly but I've naively trusted the TPMS. I would have thought it would have said some about tyre being under pressure.

2.0 Bar - 30 Psi ( under inflated ).
2.2 Bar - 32 Psi - ( correct - assuming this is the correct figure on the manufactures ID plate.
2.6 Bar - 37.5 Psi ( overinflated ).
Most TPMS systems are looking for a large discrepancies in each corner of the car.
If you set ALL four tyres to the same tyre pressure at 30 Psi, it would be unlikely to trigger a TPMS warning, as all tyre pressures are equal, but if you set three at 30 Psi and one at 35 Psi then it is possible you would trigger a TPMS warning, due to the imbalance at one tyre.
However, it will depend on the system the car uses of course.
The VAG system uses the ABS system to detect any speed variation in wheel / tyre speed.

Are you saying that you have physically checked the tyre pressures and they are at 2.2 bar / 32psi but the TPMS is showing 2 bar / 30psi ?
or are you saying that you thought 2 bar was correct because that was what TPMS was showing ?

Are you saying that you have physically checked the tyre pressures and they are at 2.2 bar / 32psi but the TPMS is showing 2 bar / 30psi ?
or are you saying that you thought 2 bar was correct because that was what TPMS was showing ?
The second interpretation. The TPMS is showing the correct pressure but I would have expected it to alert me that they were in fact under pressure.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom