Unbinding App from previous owner - Painful MG customer service but happy ending

sorry for not getting back to you. so go into settings click on system then restore settings. This restores car to factory settings and should unbind phone. thats how I done it. failing that you can now unbind it on the app I believe.

sorry for not getting back to you. so go into settings click on system then restore settings. This restores car to factory settings and should unbind phone. thats how I done it. failing that you can now unbind it on the app I believe.
Hi Tried this but still no joy ? Car reset to factory settings but still not letting me 'bind'

it is still showing a car name and mobile number, which I suspect is the previous owner ?

you mention the app may be able to unbind but I have been through everything I think it is only the existing user that can unbind using the app?

Last edited:
go to app go to top 1st page vehicle registration tap on bringsup page with picture of car on tap the car it should bring up a box saying unbind have you tried that

If not try disconnecting the 12V battery for 10 mins. Mine worked doing factory reset. I count myself lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I get on he app is Hello mg and a blue button "to bind"

There is a white bar across the bottom with 5 options

nothing else

Do you know if the telephone number on the screen in the car when the person icon is selected is the number of the bound phone?

Screenshot_20240124-215640.png

Nope no reg number as I guess I have no connected car the previous owner still has it Bound!
sorry apart ftom disconnecting 12V battery I've run out ideas. I couldnt bind mine but I did a factory reset and it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
My business partner had the exact same problem with a dealership car (photos still had the logo decals on the doors). Can was sold and shipped from Germany to Portugal and car was not unbound. Local MG dealer said they couldn’t help.
20th century dealerships with 21st century cars… 🙄
In the end Miles Roberts ( Chorley Group ) saved the day right here in this forum! Thanks so much 👍👍

This does not unbind a car from an account. It’s a server setting, not a car setting. That’s why there’s so much trouble with this. Otherwise, it would just be a matter of resetting every new car and we’d be done with it.

I'm failing to see how MG removing the previous owner account link from the car (and their visible phone number) exposes that users data. It's gone and you cannot access it unless you know their password. Sounds like the usual load of bullocks from MG to me.

Just an update
Sucess

I contacted miles but he is no longer able to get the cars unbound

However he gave me the MG contact info

here is a copy of the emails

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2024 2:24 PM
To: Customer Service <[email protected]>
Subject: MG4 iSmart reset

Hi

I have just purchased an MG4 secondhand

The car is still 'bound to the previous owner
Could you do an 'iSmart reset '
I have attached copy of my V5c and a copy of my driving license as I.D.

Car Details,

Car Reg :- **********
Vin Number **************

My Details

Many Thanks

Good afternoon *****

Thank you for your patience.

That is clear for you now.

Kind regards

UK Mobile:
Switchboard:
E-mail:[email protected]
MG Motor UK Limited
Headquarters, Main Gate
Lowhill Lane, Birmingham, West Midlands
B31 2BQ United Kingdom
www.mg.co.uk
Become an MG fan: facebook.com/mgmotor
Follow MG: twitter.com/mgmotor

I have just discovered this issue after buying a second hand MG4 from an MG dealer. The dealer didn't tell me that the car can be 'bound' to a user through an app and as a first-time EV owner I had no idea - I discovered it because it dawned on me that there might be an app. When I tried to bind the car, I then discovered it is already bound to previous owner (and I can see his mobile number!) I phoned the number listed in this trail and a pleasant person who agreed with my concerns said he could not help and the people who can don't work at weekends (today is Saturday)! He gave me an email address and I have emailed, but I now need to wait for two days uncomfortably with the knowledge that someone I don't know can track my location and open my car.

It's really shocking that, despite knowing this for some time, MG have not recitified this problem and their dealers do not inform and help customers with it. I am beginning to regret buying an MG.

If you can see the previous owners number, give it a ring and ask them to unbind from the app. Being phoned by a stranger who has their number from their previous car might unnerve them enough to do it straight away.

I never understand why the dealership does not ask the previous owner / sales person ( demo ) to unbind the car, before it is put on sale ?.
Most people when selling on a car, will naturally remove all phone contact details and clear the memory of the Sat nav ( home / work place address etc ).
So why not unbind the car at the same time?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom