Uncommanded acceleration

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Not sure whether I imagined it but one evening this week returning from work, coming down a hill I have every single day I felt the car accelerating instead of slowing down. I had used one bar of the battery, I found that the regen was not as strong down the hill when compared to usual so I used the Brakes to slow down, the car did but then, with my foot still on the brake pedal (no it wasn’t on the accelerator) it started accelerating. I had to slam on the brakes to come to a stop at the roundabout. No further problems since on the same road. Very bizarre and disconcerting.

didn’t have a chance to look as I was about to crash into the car in front. Happened over a matter of seconds. I thought I would go through the dash cam footage but the blasted card is corrupted.

Did you have ACC engaged? Possibly a faulty brake light switch allowing ACC to re-engage?

Not sure whether I imagined it but one evening this week returning from work, coming down a hill I have every single day I felt the car accelerating instead of slowing down. I had used one bar of the battery, I found that the regen was not as strong down the hill when compared to usual so I used the Brakes to slow down, the car did but then, with my foot still on the brake pedal (no it wasn’t on the accelerator) it started accelerating. I had to slam on the brakes to come to a stop at the roundabout. No further problems since on the same road. Very bizarre and disconcerting.
Hi, very same happened to me a few weeks ago, approaching a junction, as I lifted off the brake expecting to regen the last few yards to the give way line, it sharply accelerated Very close to the mouth of the junction. Hit the brakes and Scared the crap out of me as it’s a very fast road I was about to join. And no I didn’t catch the accelerator before anyone makes that suggestion.
Not done it since and hopefully never will.

Hope these failings are or will be placed on record with the dealer?

Happened to me twice. I had an MGF yr 2000 pulled out of a side street to turn right, tried to brake and straighten up, power steering but as i braked, it appeared to accelerate! Very scary! Assumed it was me, until it happened again! This time trying to park up. Same thing pulling over to the right to park. Brakes failed, appeared to accelerate! Went into the back of another parked vehicle, still wouldnt stop, then eventually hit a doorstep and made an abrupt stop. Wrote the car off and scared myself and my daughter. Anybody shed any light on it?

Going over a manhole or loose surface can give rise to the impression of acceleration when in fact it's just the car letting go of the regen braking. If only one wheel is regen braking through the differential and it lets go there's a tiny delay before the other wheel catches up.

Going over a manhole or loose surface can give rise to the impression of acceleration when in fact it's just the car letting go of the regen braking. If only one wheel is regen braking through the differential and it lets go there's a tiny delay before the other wheel catches up.
This has happened once to me when slowing for a junction hit a pot hole did feel like acceleration and is off putting. Read this answer before on another question about this and it explains sensation of hiting lose surface or a pot hole when regen breaking

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom