sue789

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Recently I've bought a new mg5 ev long range due to my old car not conforming to Ulez. The car is lovely driving and extremely roomy and comfortable. I'm still a bit unsure of long journeys with the amount of power, but I'm sure I will get used to it.
The thing that is worrying me to the point of loosing sleep is battery fires as it is in the news alot, I keep it on my drive about 2 feet from my house. Am I just being paranoid due to it being my fist ev or is anyone else experiencing my worries ??

Recently I've bought a new mg5 ev long range due to my old car not conforming to Ulez. The car is lovely driving and extremely roomy and comfortable. I'm still a bit unsure of long journeys with the amount of power, but I'm sure I will get used to it.
The thing that is worrying me to the point of loosing sleep is battery fires as it is in the news alot, I keep it on my drive about 2 feet from my house. Am I just being paranoid due to it being my fist ev or is anyone else experiencing my worries ??
Things that are in the news are things that happen rarely enough to be newsworthy. (or fit an agenda...)

You'll notice there's not a lot of focus in the news on the car that started the fire in Luton Airport as it wasn't electric...

I remember watching a comparison (might have been top gear) where they were doing a bit on how difficult a battery fire was to put out compared to an ICE car fire. At the end though, they said they felt 'honour bound' to show everything they had to do to disable all the safety features and get the damn thing to ignite in the first place...

Upvote 0
ICE cars are almost 20x more likely to catch fire than EV's, make sure anyone visiting your home in an ice vehicle parks well away from your home, preferably away down the road.

Upvote 0
If you listen to everything you would not drive any vehicle. It is a good car so enjoy it.
The Chinese are way ahead of other countries in EV's.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid you are just another person that has had fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) put in their head by the fossil fuel sponsored brigade of anti-Ev ers. Don't believe everything you read in the press.
As has been mentioned already EVs are far less likely to catch fire than a petrol /diesel car.
Don't worry about the charging infrastructure despite claims that it is not ready for 2030. The simple answer to that is that this is 2023 not 2030 (2035) and there are not as many EVs on the road in 2023 as there will be in 2030 (2035), by which time it will be ready. :) . A little thought and plenty of help on here (use search or just ask) will see you over your first long range journey after which you will never worry again.

Upvote 0
Don't worry about all the bull💩 in the media , an EV is as safe as anything . I seem to recall a lot of Vauxhall Zafiras being recalled in the last few years due to spontaneous combustion , something that all the nay sayers seem to forget,
As far as long journeys go I recently did a 200 mile round trip to Manchester , stopped once each way to top up but didn't really need to

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom