UPDATE (Are the MG5 headlights bright enough? Has anyone upgraded them?)

Mr C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have replaced my standard fitted bulbs with the Osram night breaker laser HB3 bulbs which I understand to be a legal replacement and the light colour seems brighter and more white consistent with the headlight led light accents.

Disclaimer, please do not attempt to do this yourself, for peace of mind and safety take your car to a garage and let a qualified technician complete the work.

HB3 bulbs

Anyway moving on.

This is how I did it
Before I started I made sure the car was turned off, I had read about disconnecting the battery but I decided not to.

To change the bulbs I needed to get to the back of my headlights and I needed to remove the engine bay cover.

It was easy to remove, there are ten panel clips. I used a narrow flat point blade to unscrew a couple of turns so the head of the plastic screw sits proud of the surface with enough room I used a plastic clip remover to lever the panel clip free.

I needed to be careful and put the clips safe as I nearly lost one as it rolled down the cover and nearly disappeared through a gap into the engine bay.

Removal tools

After removing all clips the cover could be lifted, it didn't come off easy as it is held in place with Velcro fasteners that pull apart when the cover is lifted, the Velcro helps keep the cover in place lined up so you can put the panel clips back in.

The engine bay is exposed and its dangerous, I wore gloves and was careful not to touch anything other than the back of the headlight, I needed no tools other than my hands to change the bulbs.

There is a rubber cap at the back of the headlight that is a press fit cap and it simply pulls off to give access to the bulb, I simply twisted the bulb housing slightly and withdrew the bulb whilst being careful, there is a wire attached with a press fit connecter clip, you have to be careful to prise the clip apart at the same time separating the bulb from the connector.

Before starting this job I looked at the new bulbs with connector housing fittings and watched a few videos online showing how this connecter works, I had to be careful as it is easy to break the connector tab. I replaced the bulbs and fitted the press fit rubber caps.

Before fitting the engine bay cover I made sure all tools were accounted for, I didn't want to fit the cover leaving something in there that shouldn't be.

I made sure all my tools were away from the car before taking the cover off and used no tools whilst changing the bulbs and double checked to make sure.

I checked that the bulbs were working before fitting the cover back.

Hope this is of use.

Hi Good explanation of installation >do they make much difference to night time driving?
As you get older you need more light so anything that helps is welcome

Kind Regards Terry Bailey

The current bulbs I believe are sub standard not even sure they would pass an MOT . But I think I will get mine replaced at a garage, I’ve emailed the dealer I have got it from but waiting for a reply.

Anyone know if somewhere like Halfords will replace the headlights with better ones ?

Hi Good explanation of installation >do they make much difference to night time driving?
As you get older you need more light so anything that helps is welcome

Kind Regards Terry Bailey
Terry, I really do think they are brighter and give longer projected visibility, when I looked at buying the car there were many comments about upgrading the bulbs and no video or explanation of how to do it on the MG5, I am glad I did it.

The current bulbs I believe are sub standard not even sure they would pass an MOT . But I think I will get mine replaced at a garage, I’ve emailed the dealer I have got it from but waiting for a reply.
Interested to see if your dealer will do this, some reviews identify that some replacement bulbs could cause to fail MOT.

The current bulbs I believe are sub standard not even sure they would pass an MOT
Of course they would - that’s a little bit dramatic. Sure they’re not that bright but they are perfectly legal.

Some older cars have proper candle headlights and they’re also MOT-worthy.

I have replaced my standard fitted bulbs with the Osram night breaker laser HB3 bulbs which I understand to be a legal replacement and the light colour seems brighter and more white consistent with the headlight led light accents.

Disclaimer, please do not attempt to do this yourself, for peace of mind and safety take your car to a garage and let a qualified technician complete the work.

HB3 bulbs

Anyway moving on.

This is how I did it
Before I started I made sure the car was turned off, I had read about disconnecting the battery but I decided not to.

To change the bulbs I needed to get to the back of my headlights and I needed to remove the engine bay cover.

It was easy to remove, there are ten panel clips. I used a narrow flat point blade to unscrew a couple of turns so the head of the plastic screw sits proud of the surface with enough room I used a plastic clip remover to lever the panel clip free.

I needed to be careful and put the clips safe as I nearly lost one as it rolled down the cover and nearly disappeared through a gap into the engine bay.

Removal tools

After removing all clips the cover could be lifted, it didn't come off easy as it is held in place with Velcro fasteners that pull apart when the cover is lifted, the Velcro helps keep the cover in place lined up so you can put the panel clips back in.

The engine bay is exposed and its dangerous, I wore gloves and was careful not to touch anything other than the back of the headlight, I needed no tools other than my hands to change the bulbs.

There is a rubber cap at the back of the headlight that is a press fit cap and it simply pulls off to give access to the bulb, I simply twisted the bulb housing slightly and withdrew the bulb whilst being careful, there is a wire attached with a press fit connecter clip, you have to be careful to prise the clip apart at the same time separating the bulb from the connector.

Before starting this job I looked at the new bulbs with connector housing fittings and watched a few videos online showing how this connecter works, I had to be careful as it is easy to break the connector tab. I replaced the bulbs and fitted the press fit rubber caps.

Before fitting the engine bay cover I made sure all tools were accounted for, I didn't want to fit the cover leaving something in there that shouldn't be.

I made sure all my tools were away from the car before taking the cover off and used no tools whilst changing the bulbs and double checked to make sure.

I checked that the bulbs were working before fitting the cover back.

Hope this is of use.
Hi Mr C
attempted change headlamp bulbs today. No problem removing under bonnet cover or cover on headlamps.
Did you find any difficulty in removing bulb holder from socket I tried for some time and gave up will try again tomorrow
Thanks Terry bailey

I had no problem, they only turn one way, could apply a little heat from a hair dryer, that might help a bit. Try again or go to the garage and someone should be able to help. Good luck.

Hi Mr C
attempted change headlamp bulbs today. No problem removing under bonnet cover or cover on headlamps.
Did you find any difficulty in removing bulb holder from socket I tried for some time and gave up will try again tomorrow
Thanks Terry bailey
I had no problem, they only turn one way, could apply a little heat from a hair dryer, that might help a bit. Try again or go to the garage and someone should be able to help. Good luck.

I see a lot of people complaining about the MG5 headlights. Unless I have better lights for some reason personally I think they're absolutely fine.

Some people said the full beam and normal lights aren't much different, they must be blind.

Personally I can't see a problem and I absolutely hate cars with super bright white lights on the road as they are so blinding.

I see a lot of people complaining about the MG5 headlights. Unless I have better lights for some reason personally I think they're absolutely fine.

Some people said the full beam and normal lights aren't much different, they must be blind.

Personally I can't see a problem and I absolutely hate cars with super bright white lights on the road as they are so blinding.
My thoughts exactly.
Really don't know what the issue is. Went down a dark lane last night and I could see just fine.
It's not like I'm going night stage rallying or helping to land planes with them!

I think it depends on what you drove before. If you had a car with HID lights, then even the rally car would have dull lights. I have a 2006 Honda Jazz with 15-year-old perspex light mouldings. On a rainy night with reasonable streetlighting, I struggle to know if my headlights are on. They are fine out in the country - until a modern car comes up behind me, and my car casts a shadow in my light pattern!

I think it depends on what you drove before. If you had a car with HID lights, then even the rally car would have dull lights. I have a 2006 Honda Jazz with 15-year-old perspex light mouldings. On a rainy night with reasonable streetlighting, I struggle to know if my headlights are on. They are fine out in the country - until a modern car comes up behind me, and my car casts a shadow in my light pattern!
And thats the problem with these ultra bright headlights especially in SUV's because they are higher up.

If the car behind is casting a shadow they are both too close and the headlight are too high and bright.

If my lights are shining anywhere near the top half of the car infront I back off as I feel like I must be dazzling them, but the majority of people don't even think or care.

I am used to the lights on my (now sold) Golf GTD Estate which were xenon self levelling headlights which actually swivelled round corners. They were the best lights I have ever used and even so my MG 5's headlights are fine...not as good but I dont really care as I drive so little at night. If they break too often I might get them replaced but for now I will spend my limited money on other things.

I drive from South West to London on the 303 where most of the cats eyes have either not been washed for years or gone, in my old car (67 plate) on a wet damp morning it was a struggle to see the road. Last two mornings I have driven up the visibility from my MG5 have made the drive so much easier and relaxing. Guess as mentioned before depends on what you are used to.

My car arrived yesterday and I changed the bulbs straight away for LED bulbs. I think they look really good and match the DRLs. It's hard to show
IMG_20210401_203326.jpg
in a photo

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom