UPDATE (Are the MG5 headlights bright enough? Has anyone upgraded them?)

Is there a power saving element as the LEDs use less battery?? Certainly, in a long dark night journey, the headlights munch up range.

Almost certainly no saving.

Yes LEDs do use less energy than incandescent lamps.

So much less, in fact, that car systems are prone to thinking the lamp has failed, whereupon they will give an error.

The fix for this is to throw a great big resistor in line with the LED lamp, thereby necessitating an increased power draw in order to keep the lighting controller happy.

I wish I were making this up.

I see a lot of people complaining about the MG5 headlights. Unless I have better lights for some reason personally I think they're absolutely fine.

Some people said the full beam and normal lights aren't much different, they must be blind.

Personally I can't see a problem and I absolutely hate cars with super bright white lights on the road as they are so blinding.
Totally agree, nothing wrong with the standard headlights.
We had a base model Hyundai accent, Great car but really poor headlights.
MG zs ev much better.
I think the new led headlights on many new cars are very dangerous for on coming traffic, they are so bright they dazzle you even when on low beam.

This thread is about MG5 headlamps - are the ZS and MG5 headlamps different? I personally think that the ZS headlamps are weak for a modern car - useable but not great if you do a lot of night driving on dark roads. Depends on your personal position/views/driving style/use.

Totally agree, nothing wrong with the standard headlights.
We had a base model Hyundai accent, Great car but really poor headlights.
MG zs ev much better.
I think the new led headlights on many new cars are very dangerous for on coming traffic, they are so bright they dazzle you even when on low beam.
Could agree more

This thread is about MG5 headlamps - are the ZS and MG5 headlamps different? I personally think that the ZS headlamps are weak for a modern car - useable but not great if you do a lot of night driving on dark roads. Depends on your personal position/views/driving style/use.
Yes, the ZS headlamp bulbs are HB3LL, where the LL stands for Long Life, the 5 bulbs are HB3.
I would assume that LL means the bulbs don't burn as bright, to make them last longer.

I have an MG5 though so not sure how different they are. But yes ultra bright LED are dangerous on the roads, far too dazzling especially down country lanes.
Totally agree maybe that’s why they made them a MOT fail because if your car is not designed for LED bulbs the light pattern is wrong and can dazzle on coming vehicles I have been blinded a few times by this very issue and nearly had a accident

It is actually illegal to fit LED bulbs in any exterior lamp unless designed to use an LED. So LEDs in sidelights, number plates, etc., are all illegal, though only headlights are an MOT fail.

Coincidently, SWMBO's ex-demo MG5 already has LEDs in the boot light, dealer fit maybe ?

Bodger search by bulb type, not care type.

/edit I swapped mine out for Osram Nightbreakers. A big improvement.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom