Are the MG5 headlights bright enough? Has anyone upgraded them?

Another good comparison would be to compare the price of a replacement head light unit for the MG vs the BMW LED unit !.
I somehow think the head light unit will be a LOT more expensive to replace on the BMW.

I see in the manual it says the headlight bulbs are HB3 as opposed to the HB3LL (long life) fitted to the ZS so I would assume they are brighter than the standard ZS ones.

I changed the drivers side headlight bulb to a Nightbreaker 150% today. Thought it might useful for other member to see the actual difference. The picture are taken from inside my car at about 5 meters from the wall the lights are aimed at. One on the right is new bulb one on the left is original bulb. First one is on full beam second one is dipped headlights.

Attachments

• 42B26A2B-47E3-48D1-9266-6E58BED5B57D.jpeg
    42B26A2B-47E3-48D1-9266-6E58BED5B57D.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 5E15F620-9229-4C8C-9850-E412C0F7EF1D.jpeg
    5E15F620-9229-4C8C-9850-E412C0F7EF1D.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 137
I changed the drivers side headlight bulb to a Nightbreaker 150% today. Thought it might useful for other member to see the actual difference. The picture are taken from inside my car at about 5 meters from the wall the lights are aimed at. One on the right is new bulb one on the left is original bulb. First one is on full beam second one is dipped headlights.
Not really a good comparison as the new bulb is reflecting off a white surface compared to a darker surface for the old one, the white surface is always going to look brighter.

Not really a good comparison as the new bulb is reflecting off a white surface compared to a darker surface for the old one, the white surface is always going to look brighter.
Sorry I can’t move my shed but would say new bulb is clearly brighter than original, whatever surface it is on. Purpose of post was to show the difference between the two bulbs which I hope it does for those members who are thinking of changing.

Whatever the background it was exactly the same for the two images.

Whatever the background it was exactly the same for the two images.
I would say pictures taken with my iPad do not show as much difference as there actually is but I thought it was enough difference to help other make there minds up.

Sorry, you misunderstand me. :)
I was commenting that the background hadn't changed so the lighting comparison was quite valid (notwithstanding that one shows high beam and the other low beam).
I'm already convinced about the benefit as I fitted them to my car last Summer!
Only potential downside is the short life.

Sorry, you misunderstand me. :)
I was commenting that the background hadn't changed so the lighting comparison was quite valid (notwithstanding that one shows high beam and the other low beam).
I'm already convinced about the benefit as I fitted them to my car last Summer!
Only potential downside is the short life.
Thanks Alb as I said I was only trying to help those members who haven’t made there minds up yet.

The difference would possibly be easier to judge if the pictures were either both dipped beam or both full beam.

The difference would possibly be easier to judge if the pictures were either both dipped beam or both full beam.
Just to be clear the first photo has both headlights on full beam, the second has both headlights on dipped beam

I don't doubt they are an improvement but I think you need to "be there" as from the pics I find it hard to see a noticeable difference, given the different coloured backgrounds.

Something like a phone camera will adjust exposure according to the light level, even the colour cast.

A DSLR won't correct colour but would have to be set in full manual to compare light levels.

Years ago I was reading a magazine about different light effect with a picture "showing" the green colour of fluorescents on the tube but the example picture didn't have it. Next month they apologised as the printer that processed the page had corrected the colour.

They thought the machine that did it might be beyond the aspirations of most amateur photographers at some £30,000

Sorry I can’t move my shed but would say new bulb is clearly brighter than original, whatever surface it is on. Purpose of post was to show the difference between the two bulbs which I hope it does for those members who are thinking of changing.
For the purpose of this demonstration, you'll have to paint you shed white. :LOL: ;)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom