[UPDATE] MG4 Trophy Driver Drowsiness Detection software update?

Steven Bell

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,
I took delivery of my Trophy in November 2022. Does anybody know if the Driver Drowsiness Detection software update has been released by MG UK yet? I have asked Luscombe Motors in Leeds several times, including when the car was recalled regarding the lock-in issue, but all I get from them is that they will contact me when it is available. Given that I have had the car for 6 months now, I would have thought that this issue would have been sorted by now! I am beginning to regret buying this car. It took months to locate a rattle on the dash and the car has been back again and again. I don't know if my car suffers from the rear tray bulge either. Approaching 70 years of age, I'm not going to start grovelling under the car! The way things are going, I am thinking that this could well be my last MG. (I didnt have any issues with my MG5 which I bought in December 2020 and traded in for the MG4). I am regretting getting rid of that car...

The drowsiness software update was released before the lock-in issue update was released. It looks like your dealer is fobbing you off especially as the lock-in update is a safety re-call. My advice is go somewhere else. It shouldn't cost you anything as it's covered by the warranty.

The drowsiness software update was released before the lock-in issue update was released. It looks like your dealer is fobbing you off especially as the lock-in update is a safety re-call. My advice is go somewhere else. It shouldn't cost you anything as it's covered by the warranty.
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I will book the car into the MG dealership in Wakefield. I am so disappointed with Luscombe in Leeds...

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I will book the car into the MG dealership in Wakefield. I am so disappointed with Luscombe in Leeds
Will you let us know how you get on. I got my car from luscombes, registered in September and although it doesn't bong as that setting stays off for me I do get the messages on the driver display every time I think about looking at my speedo.
What is your issue with it?

Last edited:
I went to Luscombe Motors in Leeds and went to reception. I asked the young lady if the Driver Drowsiness Detection fault had the "fix" released yet? She looked on her screen and said that it was available. So much for the "We'll contact you when the fix is available"! She added that there was a software update too. She said it was EH72... but didnt know what it was updating. I have booked the car in for next Monday, all day. Once this is all sorted, then I will book the car in again to have yet another annoying rattle fixed. It is somewhere between the drivers display and the door... I am so disappointed with this car...!

I went to Luscombe Motors in Leeds and went to reception. I asked the young lady if the Driver Drowsiness Detection fault had the "fix" released yet? She looked on her screen and said that it was available. So much for the "We'll contact you when the fix is available"! She added that there was a software update too. She said it was EH72... but didnt know what it was updating. I have booked the car in for next Monday, all day. Once this is all sorted, then I will book the car in again to have yet another annoying rattle fixed. It is somewhere between the drivers display and the door... I am so disappointed with this car...!
Good news then. What issue are your currently having with the driver awareness camera

The only issue I have is that there's the constant warning on the screen and it bongs a warning every time the car goes into Ready. It shouldn't be down to me to chase Luscombes to get issues fixed. I am almost certain that the problems I have had and still have will convince me that this will be my last MG....

Rattle - sunglasses in the glasses holder? (Direction of rattles can be deceptive). Others have fitted padding around the air vents (behind the dash) and/or behind the glovebox. (There's a thread here about this).

Hi, I have had the rattle behind the glovebox sorted. This is another rattle... behind the driver display or between that and the drivers door... I had the Seat Belt Not Fastened warning come on too. This happened whilst I was sat at traffic lights. Needless to say, the car behind me just had to sound his horn as I got the car back to Ready.... This has happened only twice, so far. Then there's the flaky infotainment screen which only displays the top and right side border... the rest of the screen is black. I have to press Home to fix that.... it is just stupid problems, but problems all the same... So disappointed...

Then there's the flaky infotainment screen which only displays the top and right side border... the rest of the screen is black. I have to press Home to fix that
I have this and it's caused by the screen switching between light and dark mode as the lights come on when you first press the brake pedal, then deciding it's light enough not to need lights so the lights are switched off and the infotainment screen switches back to light mode.
In settings change the ambient back-light from auto to either dark or light.

I have this and it's caused by the screen switching between light and dark mode as the lights come on when you first press the brake pedal, then deciding it's light enough not to need lights so the lights are switched off and the infotainment screen switches back to light mode.
In settings change the ambient back-light from auto to either dark or light.
I leave mine on dark mode, I find it is easier to set a consistent brightness that works in all lighting conditions.

I have corrected my profile to state MG4. My initial comment when starting this thread did state that I had traded-in my MG5 for a MG4. The title of the thread also states MG4. Sorry for any confusion caused... I drive a white MG4 Trophy.

Monday 22nd May 2023
I took the car back to Luscombes in Leeds and left it there for the day. I went to collect it about 4pm. Reception told me it was all sorted. The 2 software updates had been done, and the rattle turned out to be a loose bolt around the bonnet release. I went to the car and sat in the drivers seat. Shock and horror... Driver Drowsiness Detection System Error yet again. I was chuffing livid! I went back into the showroom, my arms in the air. I explained that I still had the problem. Dan looked on the screen and said that the software updates were something to do with making LKA less severe (Relief) and the other update did something about renaming the infotainment system... Dan went to the Service Bays and was gone for some time. Meanwhile, I was asked by a lady if I wanted a coffee. I replied that a couple of vallium would be better! She asked if I was enjoying my car to which I replied that now wasn't the best time to ask me, adding that I thought the car was a dog and adding that I wouldnt be buying a MG again! Off she went. Sam came to see me a few minutes later. I explained how thoroughly naffed-off I was. We discussed all the issues I was having. Sam went outside to call MG UK. He returned and told Dan to note all the display details and get version numbers of what-ever and submit a form to MG UK HO. It seems that there is no information relating to this "System Error". This isnt the same problem that others with Trophies have had. Dan told me that he expected to hear something from MG UK the following day, and would let me know what was to happen. Needless to say, nothing from Luscombes. I am assuming MG UK HO are investigating, but who knows....??? At least the rattle is solved.... I should be thankful for (very) small mercies...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back