Updated Octopus Go Charging Costs

Topped up my MG5 last night with the 7.5p/kWh new rate. Put in 26.9kWh at a cost of £2 which is 65p more than the old rate, but still a saving on petrol/diesel equivalent.
I thought the new rate was 12p.

My "new" 7.5p rate kicked in a few weeks ago. Haven't been using the car since then as had Covid :(

I've been on 7.5p for a while now, not looking forward to it ending but if Ukraine is over and we're in the Spring then I suppose there is a chance prices might fall again. (yeah right)

Well I expect you know that there is one UK price for all wholesale electricity, no matter how it's made.

I understood Octopus had been pretty generous in the past with their export rates, is that no longer the case?

What bugs me is paying higher rates because of gas prices when using a renewable energy company who are not using gas anyway.

I'd also like to know why prices get higher yet I get sod all for selling solar back to the grid.

Sorry rant over.
You need to go on Outgoing Octopus. Its just gone up to 15p per KWH

Well I expect you know that there is one UK price for all wholesale electricity, no matter how it's made.

I understood Octopus had been pretty generous in the past with their export rates, is that no longer the case?
Yes I do, something that need to change. Renewable energy companies must be making an utter fortune right now, I just hope they are investing it in more renewables.

I just wish the government would legislate more, like why oh why every new house is not built with solar panels is beyond me.

I thought the new rate was 12p.
You must be still on the low rate, as I have just been looking into it for when I get my first EV, MG4. The new rate is about 12 per kWh for both Octopus Go and Intelligent, but your day rate jumps up to 40p per kWh, for me that is 7p per kWh above my current day rate on Octopus Flexible. I’m retired so if you set your washer tumble dryer etc. etc to run overnight, that’s still going to be expensive.

I've not got round to working it out yet but if you are able to shift load into the cheap slot then it must be cheaper. I'll maybe have a look later. (I'm on 7.5p/36.x p but I can do a spreadsheet to cater for your cost, based on my consumption).

I can't I'm on Octopus Go, you can't have both.
I use granny charger, rather than wallbox as much as possible on sunny days. So I get free charging and still some export. Energy bill for Sept was £105. Gas, lecky, Mg5 and Tesla M3P. Obviously will be more during winter.

You must be still on the low rate, as I have just been looking into it for when I get my first EV, MG4. The new rate is about 12 per kWh for both Octopus Go and Intelligent, but your day rate jumps up to 40p per kWh, for me that is 7p per kWh above my current day rate on Octopus Flexible. I’m retired so if you set your washer tumble dryer etc. etc to run overnight, that’s still going to be expensive.
I thought it was 10p on Intelligent.

My Octopus Go ran out last month. They have put me onto Octopus Flexible, and now I pay 34p/Kwh. And no cheap rates. I have asked several times to go back to Go, but the web page just runs me around in circles.

Even at 34p, a weekly fill up is still in the order of £12, which is pretty cheap motoring anyway...

My Octopus Go ran out last month. They have put me onto Octopus Flexible, and now I pay 34p/Kwh. And no cheap rates. I have asked several times to go back to Go, but the web page just runs me around in circles.

Even at 34p, a weekly fill up is still in the order of £12, which is pretty cheap motoring anyway...
see below

I've not got round to working it out yet but if you are able to shift load into the cheap slot then it must be cheaper. I'll maybe have a look later. (I'm on 7.5p/36.x p but I can do a spreadsheet to cater for your cost, based on my consumption).

I have already done this although the original thread was hijacked by an immersion heater.

Oh yes, I'd already forgotten about that Gomev. :)

I came back to update about my figures - I realised due to extended holidays (5 - 6 weeks) in March and October, and solar panels, my actual figures won't mean much really.

But for Jan/Feb/April I used 772 cheap units and 768 expensive ones, and in July/Aug I used 525 cheap units and 286 expensive ones.

Car charging, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer all (usually) happen in cheap zone. Also, fortunately, as at the moment my cheap zone runs from 21:30 for 4 hours, some of my evening activities (TV, hot drinks etc) end up cheap - I know this won't last.

I am on a basic BG economy 7 tariff so get 7 hours overnight at about 16p. I manage to achieve about 80% overnight usage helped by solar panels kicking in during day.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom