Updating Sat Nav

Seawolf

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
There are times when the satnav in my HS Plug In Hybrid works perfectly, and other times when it just refuses to work when I put an address, or post code in. I THINK I have sussed why. It doean't seem to like addressed where the streets are of fairly new housing. So my question is .....

How do I get my sat nav to update ? Previous European made cars did it automatically, but this one doesn't seem to.

Seawolf

You should have a booklet for the radio/ sat nav which tells you where to go to update the sta nav.

I can see you are too much of a diplomat to say, "For heaven's sake ... Go and read the manual" 😉

Never even noticed there IS a manual for the navigation system, but I have it on my desk now.

Thank you. 👍

I can see you are too much of a diplomat to say, "For heaven's sake ... Go and read the manual" 😉

Never even noticed there IS a manual for the navigation system, but I have it on my desk now.

Thank you. 👍

Off on a tangent ….Love your Pussy cat pic!

I have not do a update but did look at the book when I got the car, not easy I believe I us a dongle to us my phone wireless to run on the screen

Interesting ! I have looked in the sat nav manual that came with the car, and there is nothing in there about how to update it.

So I got on to MG UK, and asked them. They told me to go and ask my dealer. Not a good response from a car manufacturer, and I told them so.

So a run around the houses, as Parks don't give out e-mail addresses, but half an hour spent on their "chat to us" feature, with someone else who didn't know how to do it, still brought no enlightenment, but they promised me the techies would be in touch. Still waiting.

Then I got a reply from MG who had received my unhappy response to their unhelpful information. They told me that MG actually have nothing to do with the satnav programme in their cars, and that I should visit the website www.naviextras.com where I should find how to update my satnav, but I might have to pay for it.

Went to the website, but I think you would need a degree in Computer Science to understand and use that site, which seems to say that I have to download something to my computer which will do the update. No mention of how much it will cost. Too complicated for me. I have an IQ of 128, and an honours degree, plus qualifications to command ships of any size anywhere in the world, but I couldn't make any sense of how to do what they said.

I suspect the dealership would do it for me if I paid them handsomely for it, but I don't understand why I should have to pay. My last two cars with satnav on board updated automatically with no charges, or visits to dealerships !

At the very least one would expect that if there is no automatic update in the car, then it would be done as part of the annual service .... free ! Just had the car have its first service last month as it is a year old, but no update to the satnav.

Why am I teed off at this ? Because last week I had scheduled a meeting in another town, but when I went to put the address and post code into MG's satnav, it did not recognise either the address or postcode, as the meeting location was built less than five years ago apparently. I was late for the meeting !

First black mark against MG, but it's a big one. Not impressed

Last edited:
PS:

I now have satnav in my phone. It cost me nothing, and is always up to date. I'll be using that in future instead of MG's decrepit system.

There are a few videos on YouTube on how to do it but you go the best way for a sat nav now

PS: I have Google Maps in my phone, which works perfectly, but willing to have a go at updating the car via Naviextras if the price is reasonable. Still teed off with the "It's none of our business" attitude at MG UK, and I'm still waiting for the techies at Parks to call me !!!

I have noticed that so many big companies are no longer interested in helping their customers. I can see me trading in this MG and going back to an Audi like II had before

Thanks for that. Actually showing how it is done makes it look simpler than the techie explanations. I'll give it a go, but I may have one challenge. I saw that the supported platforms for the updates are all Windows. My computer is an Applemac ! They may support that now though. Will give it a go. Thanks for your help.

I have spent the last few hours trying to connect a memory stick to the car, while watching YouTube videos on the process. Not quite the same as the videos for other models, as the screen display is different on my year old HS Hybrid. I get as far as the car telling me it is trying to link to the memory stick .... but it doesn't ..... even if I wait a long time. I have tried four memory sticks, all with plenty of memory, and all with the same result. Then I thought maybe it was becuase I had been using them on the iMac, so I flashed up the Windows laptop and formatted them all on there. They still wouldn't get any further than the car trying to link to the memory stick, so I have given up.

While looking on the menus I spotted Android Auto, and set that up to show my phone's apps on the screen, so I can now use Google Maps on my phone and get it showing on the car's screen. Tested and working, so I now have up to date maps and sat nav on screen via my phone.

I have to say the whole performance has put me off the car, and I may take the hit on value and just buy something else, probably an Audi Q3 like I had before. I have just lost a whole day messing about with this, and suspect it is a deliberate part of the car's makeup to make even more money on residuals for the dealerships

There are times when the satnav in my HS Plug In Hybrid works perfectly, and other times when it just refuses to work when I put an address, or post code in. I THINK I have sussed why. It doean't seem to like addressed where the streets are of fairly new housing. So my question is .....

How do I get my sat nav to update ? Previous European made cars did it automatically, but this one doesn't seem to.

Seawolf
I gave up and I use a free app called WAZE. It’s on my phone which I plug in and it’s the best sat nav ever as it’s big, bold and warns you of any incidents, accidents, road works etc it even asks you if the reported incident etc is still there so that it alerts other users! It’s brill

Problem I’ve found is when using for example the iPhone it gets very hot when using any nav system linked to the car. Also at 13% charge the built in Sat Nav shuts down on the MG5 I guess to save battery power, however the spoken instructions still sound. Neither thing ideal.

Seawolf
just updated maps on my 2022 ZS EV, they are now Q1 2022

This is how it's done

Go to this website to Download map file
2. Link is for a free Mega account, maybe they have limits, please contact me if the link stops working.
3. Download the MAP update file (14 Gbyte)
4. The file you downloaded is compressed with RAR, it contains one folder "maps" which you need to decompress (Find decompression program at WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files)
5. Copy the folder "maps" onto a 32 GB or larger USB thumbdrive, make sure the "maps" folder is in the root of the drive and nothing else is on there
6. Insert the thumbdrive into your car's USB-A socket, power on the car, and go to settings / system and select "Update maps and VR data"
7. The car will say "Getting info" for up to 5 minutes after which it will let you continue
8. After continuing, the car will say "Checking MD5 hashes" and after a minute or 2 it will start the copy process. Expect 30 minutes for this operation.
9. When it finishes it will shortly say "Checking MD5 hash" again, after which it will prompt you to end the process, and it will then reboot the radio.

You now have the latest maps. :)

Now bought an extra cable from my phone, and plugged it in to the car. Then went onto the Android thingy on the car's computer, and the phone's satnav then shows on the screen and talks. I'm using Google Maps and it works fine. Thanks for all the help from you guys.

Still surprised the dealers don't do an update of MG's satnav system as part of the annual service.

Just had my HS have its first annual service and it wasn't even offered.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom