Upgraded reversing light LED bulb - fitting

MartinSEsr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, I upgraded my interior bulbs which was quick and easy. I can't see any point in doing indicators or brake lights, but I would like a brighter reversing light. I have to reverse up a dark drive each night. There isn't a specific article I can find on this here, other than a video where a guy puts the halogen bulb back in as it was brighter... Many LED bulbs shine sideways, rather than more focussed in the axis of the bulb, which the reversing light needs. This bulb was recommended by someone so I have ordered one, I will report back after fitting. It was £8.50 + p+p. You need two.

LED reversing light bulb (21w) autobulbsdirect

Has anyone found a good article or video on removing the rear light cluster on the MG4?

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing your results Martin. Just got my car and was looking for interior courtesy light bulb recommendations when I saw your post.

Hi, I upgraded my interior bulbs which was quick and easy. I can't see any point in doing indicators or brake lights, but I would like a brighter reversing light. I have to reverse up a dark drive each night. There isn't a specific article I can find on this here, other than a video where a guy puts the halogen bulb back in as it was brighter... Many LED bulbs shine sideways, rather than more focussed in the axis of the bulb, which the reversing light needs. This bulb was recommended by someone so I have ordered one, I will report back after fitting. It was £8.50 + p+p.

LED reversing light bulb (21w) autobulbsdirect

Has anyone found a good article or video on removing the rear light cluster on the MG4?
This video is in German but you can clearly see how to remove the rear light cluster at 8.12 min.

I fitted one bulb to the right hand side and took this photo at dusk. It’s a lot whiter & brighter. I’ll write more on how to do it tomorrow when on the laptop.
IMG_9226.jpeg

To change a rear cluster bulb is easy but awkward...

NB there are reversing lights both sides, so you need two LED bulbs as specified in post 1 above, about £8.50 each plus £3 p+p, they came quickly.

You have to remove two oval plastic covers, they come off easily with a small screwdriver. You then need a longish nut driver, as the two 10mm bolt heads are quite deep behind the plastic trim. So about 6" long is needed to reach the upper one. I needed a torch to see the bolt head and get the driver guided onto it.

The two bolts undo easily, though about 20 turns needed. One dropped down but was caught by the bottom of the recess ok.

The plastic housing then pulls straight back. I didn't bother disconnecting the wiring loom, just 1/8 turn released the bulb holder. I put the LED bulb in, left it hanging outside the car wing, and put the plastic light unit partially back. I needed to check the bulb lit up when in reverse, and with only me at home, i needed to see the light in the door mirror. It lit up (I think if it was 180 deg turned in the housing it wouldn't light up) so I put it back into the light unit and 1/8 turn locked it.

I then put the light housing back which took several goes as it has to allign with a plastic bracket.

So that I could guide the bolts in, 6" deep into the housing, I put blue tack on the bolt head to hold it to the socket driver. Guiding it to the hole with a torch, it went in easily.

I only did one, so I could compare the LED with the old bulb, there is a big difference as you can see above. To do the other one will take about 10 mins now I know how to do it.

I won't bother changing the brake or indicator bulbs, they are fine as halogen. The brakes are on when stationary with autohold so dazzling enough anyway, and the indicators are ok as they are.

I won't bother changing the brake or indicator bulbs, they are fine as halogen. The brakes are on when stationary with autohold so dazzling enough anyway, and the indicators are ok as they are.

The brake lights are LED as standard anyway, only the indicators and reverse lights are halogen (and possibly the fog light).

You're right about them being potentially dazzling though, I replaced the indicators with LED bulbs but had to cover about 50% of the bulb with aluminium tape just to reduce the brightness!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back