• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Upgrading Dash Camera

LDN21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am thinking of upgrading my dash cam.
I currently have a Nextbase 412gw what I transferred from my old car.
It’s hard wired and has a Mini USB (so would prefer this same connector)

Any recommendations - Looking for front and rear as after a bit of agressive driving from another car noticed I had not got the majority on camera.

I’m looking at the Halfords 400 but not sure if I should get that one, a nextbase or a different one.

I have the 622GW and the film quality - front and back - is very good, with crisp video. The video size can get up to about 300mb for 1 minute! I don't know if this is normal or if there is a setting to reduce it but bear this in mind when selecting the memory card. I also have experienced aggressive driving - a bit ironic given the petrol it must burn up; the rear view camera tends to make people think twice.

It does need a high quality SD card.
I bit the bullet and bought the overpriced Nextbase one (128Gb)

I see a few reports around about rear cameras killing DAB signal. what are people's experiences with this, and did you manage to 'fix' it?
That's the only thing that's stopping me spending my cash on one at the moment..
Thanks

I have the Nextbase 522GW with the rear camera that attaches to the side of it, the one with the telephoto lens that looks through the rear window, not the wide angle lens for the interior.
I had my doubts about the rear cam attachment, but I didn't want to route a wire to the back and was pleasantly surprised by the view. It's the same view as you get through the interior mirror so it sees what you see (tailgating etc) and number plates are clearly read.

I've seen a lot of people on YouTube raving about the Viofo A129 range. Front and rear cams in either 1080p, 2k or 4k and usually quite a bit cheaper than the nexbase equivalents. There's a guy on YouTube (he may also be on this forum) who's done an installation video for a ZS EV too...

I've seen a lot of people on YouTube raving about the Viofo A129 range. Front and rear cams in either 1080p, 2k or 4k and usually quite a bit cheaper than the nexbase equivalents. There's a guy on YouTube (he may also be on this forum) who's done an installation video for a ZS EV too...
Have you got a link to this video?

D9B053B3-D3EA-4E84-9516-1EC3FBB0B341.jpeg

Garmin mini 2 fitted today nice and discreet, nothing to fiddle with just works, no gps but that’s fine only really interested in footage of any incident

It looks pretty neat - have you seen any night time footage yet? What's the quality like?
Only what I saw on the reviews, pretty good fitting at Halford £35 which included the Garmin parking mode cable which they charge £20 separately for so seems a bit of a bargain, not that it was really needed but ha ho. I’ll post a night shot when next out in the ZS. Day time looks pretty good tho.

Attachments

• 22A46A22-B9B3-4CAB-BE7B-89508B887D9C.jpeg
    22A46A22-B9B3-4CAB-BE7B-89508B887D9C.jpeg
    555.1 KB · Views: 219
Viofo A129 Duo Plus. I have just fitted this camera with parking mode. My source of information on how to do it was the Toms Man Shed video on Youtube. Tom fitted his to a ZS EV model earlier than mine. There are some wrinkles which may be specific to the Trophy/Lux. Here are a few notes for anyone tackling the job on that model.
Thank you to Tom for his excellent instructions.
The 'A' PILLAR TRIM came loose quite easily and it didn't have to be removed. I just worked with it hanging more or less in situ. It was not necessary to do anything with the door rubbers and it was not necessary to release the black trim strap that Tom struggled with. I didn't have to disconnect the speaker cable.
The FUSE BOX is not quite the same as his car but it is in the same ridiculous position. The fuses that (will) work for me are - for the power supply that goes on and off with the ignition - a blue 15amp fuse (number 15) and on the same row - for the power supply that is constantly on - the only green 30amp fuse that is accessible in my model which is the electric seat position control.
The FUSES are MINI on my model (I bought the wrong micro fuse taps initially). The tails on the FUSE TAP should point away from the first row. So, the fuse tail of the tap in position 15 covers the fuse number 23.
WIRING TO THE REAR CAMERA was very easy for me because the wire can sit in the sunroof channel. I loosened some trim in the top left rear corner (which was fairly easy) to help me access the cable rubber trunking route up into the door but I think I might have achieved getting the wire there without doing that.
An ALTERNATIVE CABLE ROUTING might be to run along the floor edge because when the door rubber can be lifted at the bottom it reveals a channel about 1cm wide. This is the wiring route used when my fitter wired in my tow bar. Ok. Thanks again to Tom.

This search on ebay will throw up the cable you are describing. Just under a £5.
5 PIN MINI USB MALE TO 5 PIN MINI USB MALE CABLE 50CM LONG. No doubt others are available.

Ali express have this cable for £2.17 delivered.

1pcs Mini USB Type B Male To Male 5 Pin Converter OTG Sync Adapter Lead Data Cable 20cm​

I have a next base 622 front and rear connected with cigarette lighter socket. I have the new long range ZS on order that has a usb connection built into the rear view mirror housing.
I contacted nextbase about a usb connection instead of 12volt lighter socket…..they informed me that there is not enough power in a usb connection to power the camera.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom