Urgent Advice needed please

JayWall

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I took my MG ZS EV for it’s first service
It’s done less than 8,000 miles!
I was told it needs new brake pads & discs as there were corroded !!
Apparently it with using the assisted braking!! Which we were advised to use!!
Please has anyone else that this problem!
Thanks

Thanks
Quick question - Is the car under or over 12 months old YET.
Because regardless of the warranty, if less than 12 months old, they could be still covered as not fit for purpose surely ??.
That type of news is never expected with a car that has covered SO little milage and only just 12 months old.
One of the reasons why people buy new cars, is to keep their maintenance costs down.
These brake disc services has been discussed at some length on another thread.
EV's ( due to the affects of regen braking ) are more prone to to develop rust and then pitting on the brake disc surfaces, due to the general lack of use of the foot brake.
Low usage case cars, CAN be more vulnerable to this type of condition of course.
One pedal regen strength cars can be seen as more at risk.
Dealers and then in turn MOT testers have soon locked onto this condition and are lying in wait to fire the parts cannon at the car at every possible opportunity.
First MOT is not due until 3 years, so the dealer gets in on the act first !.
My guess would be that the quote to replace these parts is around £800.00 at dealer prices and not covered under warranty ( surprise / surprise if you get my meaning here ).
Not what anybody is expected to be funding on a car that is this new and even worse, the fact that this could become a target at each annual charge at each service appointment !.
EV's are generally regarded as being much cheap to service than ICE models.
Not if you are slapped with a bill of £800.00 every 12 months it is presented it isn't.
Do you have any photos of the condition of the disc's ????.
As @Gadget Geek points above, the subject was covered in a recent video by EVM and offers some good advice.
We have owned two ZS EV's now, both the Gen 1 and the Gen 2 facelift model.
The regen braking on the original Gen 1 model ( with BMS update ) has a MUCH stronger level 3 regen than the more recent Gen 2 model.
This can be seen as a 50/50 ball TBH.
On the Gen 1 you loss out on regen strength, but then means you use the manual foot brake less.
This lack of use then increases in the rust / pitting of the brake disc's / rotors.
The Gen 2 can have the opposite effect of less regen, more footbrake work, less rust / pitting at service time maybe ???.
I gave my brake disc's a quick visual check on our Trophy LR only last week.
The braking surface contact points on the disc's are very clean and shiny on all four corners.
I am not a spirited driver by any stretch of the imagination, but it is very clear to me, that the foot brake is called for MORE offered on the facelift than it was on the original ZS EV that is 100% for sure.
As far as I am aware, there is no third party suppliers stocking replacement disc's & pads for the ZS EV model ( unless I have missed one ).
Therefore these are dealer supplied / dealer prices items at the moment unfortunately.
Lucky MG HS PHEV model owners can purchase front discs & pads from the company "Borg & Beck" at a much cheaper price.

I can't believe the disc material is so poor that it has corroded in so short a time. Much has been made of regen supposedly making the brakes more or less redundant, but I defy anyone not to use the brakes on a journey, even once would remove any surface rust. Unless a vehicle has been standing outside in damp conditions for months such pitting should be raising questions on a low mileage vehicle .

Attachments

• IMG_3702.jpeg
    IMG_3702.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3709.jpeg
    IMG_3709.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 121
Thanks for uploading the photos, the quality of the images is not the greatest to be fair.
As best as I can tell ( and this is usually the case ) it is more likely to be the inner face, of the rear disc’s, that are the most badly affected by the pitting etc.
Which is to be expected really as 70% of the cars braking effectivity, is achieved by the front brakes, then the rear brakes providing the following 30% of the braking efficiency.
The rear brakes are also used in a clamping action, when the handbrake is called for.
The braking efficiency of both the front and rear brakes, are subject to checks at MOT time.
This gives a quick insight to the MOT tester if there is a general problem, if the braking efficiency is poor, then this could indicate that there is an underlying issue with the brakes.
Discs and pads are the first area to focus on.
The fronts don’t look that terrible, but it’s hard to fully tell TBH.
The green strip shown in the last photo is a quick check tool used to check the remaining fiction lining left on the brake pads.
These can be used without the need to remove the road wheels in some cases.
You can clearly see that the remaining friction brake pad material, is no where close to the minimum requirements.
The dealers estimate for the remedial work, is going to include 2 new sets of fiction pads, four new brake disc’s and then the labour costs involved in the rework.
A better quality material in the brake discs would be ideal, but I don’t think there are any other offerings from independent suppliers ( as yet ) for the ZS EV.
As the affected discs are still at original factory spec’s, they COULD be machined to remove the damage, but the dealer will not be prepared in offering this type of option.
It’s a real shame, because the friction pads will also be automatically discarded, which is both expensive, wasteful and not very Eco friendly TBH.
As it stands right now, I can truly see this being both a huge target and good form the point of creating a good form of extra revenue of income for the dealers.

As stated above, it's difficult to draw any conclusion from those pictures because the quality is so poor.
You'd be better off taking your own pics (ideally with the wheels off).

Thanks
I have done 127450 klm and 7 services at 18000 klm...and still on the original pads and discs

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom