USB Cable for Android Auto/CarPlay

ScottishRoss

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hey all,

What USB cables are you using for Android Auto/CarPlay? I'm trying to find one that's short enough without dangling all the excess wires and ideally one that actually makes the phone fit on the platform. If it's a standard straight USB, the phone takes up the whole platform and with a big phone like mine, it can overlap the edge. With a right angle cable, it just doesn't fit.

I've been looking at getting a 360 degree cable and I was wondering if anyone has had any better luck with that? I can't find one small enough though.

I have a 1m magnetic type cable, and I have the excess coiled underneath the shelf. (If I can be bothered I might get a stick Velcro strap to fix it to the under-base of the shelf. The phone end is pushed up through the shelf, coiled so that it lies flat, and then the phone just needs to be put on the shelf and it effectively auto-connects. :) (My phone is in a gel case so doesn't move about).

However my phone isn't huge so fits the shelf easily.

I think more importantly you need to choose a cable that is Apple MFi Certified or the Android equivalent for it to work best (or at all !). I have a black Apple MFi Certified data nylon braided cord and I don't bother using the phone tray at all as i don't fancy seing my phone go flying every launch control 😂. I curl the black cord up neatly and sit the phone in the centre console.

Hey all,

What USB cables are you using for Android Auto/CarPlay? I'm trying to find one that's short enough without dangling all the excess wires and ideally one that actually makes the phone fit on the platform. If it's a standard straight USB, the phone takes up the whole platform and with a big phone like mine, it can overlap the edge. With a right angle cable, it just doesn't fit.

I've been looking at getting a 360 degree cable and I was wondering if anyone has had any better luck with that? I can't find one small enough though.
I use a standard Apple cable that came with the phone, so far (touch wood) It's been working fine.

Bought a half meter cable at an Apple Store and had been working fine.
I have an iPhone 14 Plus with a quad lock case and it fits nicely on the shelf without sliding off.
Was thinking of getting a quad lock mount but not sure where to fit it

I bought this from Amazon and it's been absolutely fine with my new Android phone. Very pleased with it. 50 cm seems about right to stretch easily and not have trailing hanks of cable.

Amazon product ASIN B098DTBP29
If you have an Amazon Prime account there is a couple of pounds off in their Prime Big Deal Days sale which ends today (11th October)

I use Aawireless in my mg5, cost a bit more than a USB cable admittedly but so worth it.

Took about 5 minutes to set up initially and now by the time I've turned on the car and put on the seat belt Android Auto is up and running and my Spotify playlist is already playing.

I've also put a wireless charging mat in the console to keep the phone charged while I drive about - perfect

My 2021 VW T-roc had wireless android auto so I've bought a android auto wireless box form eBay and now my week old trophy long range has wireless android auto!! Anti slip matt on the charging pad to stop my phone from flying into the foot well...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back