USB disk identification failure

Wessexboy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, newbee here, 2 months in and my info-tainment system has stopped working with the above error message. Booked into main dealer in 3 weeks time (waiting for courtesy car...) but wondered if this is a common problem / easily fixed? Tried a reset by holding the home button for 10 secs as I saw elsewhere but to no avail.

Beyond waiting for the dealer visit the only other thing I can think of is to disconnect the 12v battery for a few minutes and then reconnect to possibly reboot the system. Otherwise 🤷‍♂️ or it just clears itself randomly.

I've had this happen last week on our Trophy. I think it happened after I'd plugged my phone into the USB C port to see if it would charge from it (I don't think it did). It also knocked out the radio. Still the same over a week later. As I'm away from home and everything else is working fine, I'll leave it. Then, when I'm back home, I'll probably do as @the briggie suggests and disconnect the battery to reboot the car. Just don't fancy trying that 350 miles from home!

The message "USB disk identification failure" popped up a couple of weeks ago when loading the display. As some users mentioned earlier, I believe it was something to do with me using USB cable. Not 100% sure though. This is the first time it happened as I've had my MG4 LR Trophy since October 2022.

The radio froze on one station only, although Bluetooth has continued working. I disregarded the issue as I thought I will have my service coming up in June and they will fix it for me.

Yesterday morning woke up and couldn't open the car with the remote key. The 12v battery was dead. Had no indications the battery being low on juice. Drove the car the day before as normal.

I found there is the user of MG5 Facelift reported that this issue has been draining his battery. I'm not an expert, but worth flagging it. U disk identify failure

Solution (edited): Called AA to reboot the 12v battery. When got the car up and running - the "USB disk identification failure" message disappeared. Charged the car for 1h and drove for 1h to make sure the 12v battery charges to full. This morning the battery on the app in rest mode shows 12.5v, which seems to be okay.

Last edited:
I do not understand. The battery going flat was the result of an attached phone that uses android AA? Is that it? Do you leave the phone attached in the car?

I do not understand. The battery going flat was the result of an attached phone that uses android AA? Is that it? Do you leave the phone attached in the car?
Hi. Perhaps I confused you with my reply re Solution. Edited it to make more clearer. The USB cable might have triggered the USB failure message in the first place. Just for clarity, no devices were left overnight connected.

How old is the USB cable? Perhaps the insulation had a defect where it flexed and two or more wires were shorting making the car think it was a USB drive.

How old is the USB cable? Perhaps the insulation had a defect where it flexed and two or more wires were shorting making the car think it was a USB drive.
It is definitely flexed. Perhaps you are correct.

My wife's phone causes the USB disk identification failure message to repeatedly pop up and then disappear while it is connected to the usb port. My phone has never caused it using exactly the same cable. No idea why. Also, my 12V battery drained after my radio stopped working. Not sure if that was on a journey when my wife plugged her phone in, but it could well have been as it was during a long trip and she might have been charging her phone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back