USB sticks not playing music or video?

cvsmjd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi I got my new zs version 2, beginning of June after waiting 18 months (Vanarama lease).

Has anyone with a recently delivered car tried the usb connection to play music or videos. I have tried numerous sticks in both central sockets that worked fine in my previous ioniq, but when I connect to the MG no media is found. Given the problems with V2L on the new cars I am wondering if something else has been missed?

I have a gen1 ZS, but I think it's the same for later models, you'll need to make sure the USB is formatted to FAT32 and plugged into the correct USB port (left hand one I think without looking). Also, you will need to make sure the file formats are acceptable to the car - I did some testing ages ago and posted the results on here, but it may have only been for video.

Thanks, these are usb fobs that work fine in other cars. Formatted to Fat 32.
The audio files are mp3, videos are Avi. Tried moving them out of directory so that they are all on root. Still nothing.
Just concerned if this is another new development from MG China in the spec of the latest 2023 zs.

I've had no problem using a FAT32-formatted stick on either of the central USB ports (other than the fact that the car completely ignores folders and makes one giant list of songs). My car was built in 02/2023.

Is the stick recognized at all? There should be a little USB symbol in the top right corner where the time and reception bars are when a stick is plugged in.

It knows a usb stick is inserted but can't find any files.

I noticed you are in Germany, does your vehicle have the V2L? In the UK this new batch of MG ZS appear to have lost the feature, I was wondering if we have also list usb access.

Apparently all cars built since the beginning of 2023 with a single phase charger (which includes all the UK ones and all standard range variants in Germany) seem to have "lost" V2L . So no, my car doesn't have working V2L, but I intend to make a nuisance of myself unless MG fixes it.

Thanks. After the holidays I will have to book the car in and see if they can identify why the ports aren't working to read data.
Yes I will be complaining re the v2l, have waited 18 months for delivery and this was one of the deciding features in going for the MG.

Thanks. After the holidays I will have to book the car in and see if they can identify why the ports aren't working to read data.
Yes I will be complaining re the v2l, have waited 18 months for delivery and this was one of the deciding features in going for the MG.
I am an old fella, not concerned if my MGZSLR connect, can read from a usb port, our car drives well as is very good on its mileage range when fully charged, 340miles last week. I bought our car to drive, not a music centre, get a life. The V2L works well on our car as does the large sunshine roof. A car is for getting you from A to B is comfort, what's wrong with the radio ! Just
can't believe you waited 18 months to use the cars usb ports, I charge my phone on ours, works well.

@cvsmjd
I agree with you - I too would be complaining if the car I bought didn’t have the features listed in the specifications. I don’t know whether my usb port reads data, as I haven’t tried it. But just because it doesn’t matter to me (I use it for my Carlinkit adapter, enabling wireless CarPlay), I can fully understand it might be essential for someone else.

And actually, I am wondering whether the fact that the Carlinkit works, means that the usb port is capable of reading data? You can tell I’m not very ‘techy’ 😄

I use V2L quite a lot - definitely one of the reasons I chose the MG - and would be hopping mad if that didn’t work.

Good luck. I hope everything will be resolved with your car.

I bought our car to drive, not a music centre, get a life.
Wow, that's a bit dismissive/rude, isn't it? A lot of people, me included, like to listen to music of our choice when driving around, especially on long trips. There are a few ways of doing this - streaming music via your phone, using your own music you've placed on a USB drive, or in your case the radio which is limited to what's played by others (do you still call it a "wireless"?). You asked what's wrong with the radio, so here's a few of the reason I rarely listen to the radio:
  • Music I often don't like
  • Inane drivel spouted by the presenters
  • Adverts
I will listen to the radio to catch the news, or perhaps a station that plays music I like, but it's all about choice, not "getting a life".

Now who is being rude, I certainly did not and do call a radio a "wireless " Mr. Moderator". Just enjoy the quiet ride our wonderful MGZS cars provide, you can then play more attention to the road and your driving.

Now who is being rude, I certainly did not and do call a radio a "wireless " Mr. Moderator". Just enjoy the quiet ride our wonderful MGZS cars provide, you can then play more attention to the road and your driving.
I think you are being a bit aggressive and confrontational, and critisizing someone's driving when you know nothing about them isn't helpful. Everyone is different and has their own preferences. Let's keep this excellent forum nice nad friendly. Viva la difference.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom