USB

Deleted member 11238

Reaction score
I own an MG4 SE short range, bought November 2022. Does any sane soul out there know what format that MG uses to play music on their USB stick. I have tried formatting to the "Fats'' grouping and "NTFS" with no luck. I have emailed MG and as I thought they would, they have ignored my request just like my garage.
It is because the car mechanically so good that I am acepting their indifference, but it still rankles.
One other point, why is their a "Custom" drive setting when I have to keep on resetting it when I switch the car back on? What is the point of putting it in as an option? Any Ideas anyone?

I own an MG4 SE short range, bought November 2022. Does any sane soul out there know what format that MG uses to play music on their USB stick. I have tried formatting to the "Fats'' grouping and "NTFS" with no luck. I have emailed MG and as I thought they would, they have ignored my request just like my garage.
It is because the car mechanically so good that I am acepting their indifference, but it still rankles.
One other point, why is their a "Custom" drive setting when I have to keep on resetting it when I switch the car back on? What is the point of putting it in as an option? Any Ideas anyone?
I don't know about the music but I think it is due to changes in NCAP/WLTP rules recently (2022?) that all new cars are supposed to default to 'normal' or the equivalent. I think the theory is that anyone might drive the car next and so it should default to all safety systems on and for WLTP to avoid settings that game the figures (a la dieselgate). I could be wrong but this is my understanding,

Are you using the right hand USB C port? I haven't tried it but I have feeling this is the one for music/video.

It's the left hand USB. The stick(s) have been used on my other cars with no problem at all. I must say that the infotainment system seems to be very flakey and weak, can't really explain it though. Seems like what worked yesterday, don't work

Must have pressed the wrong button, As I was saying, what worked yesterday don't work today or so it seems. Car is great by the way,

It's the left hand USB. The stick(s) have been used on my other cars with no problem at all. I must say that the infotainment system seems to be very flakey and weak, can't really explain it though. Seems like what worked yesterday, don't work
Not sure if this thread helps:

I've not tried using a USB stick. I use my phone in the left USB port and use Android Auto,

Regarding the Custom setting ... mine remembers what I've configured for Custom, but every time I get into the car then Normal mode is preselected, but selecting Custom mode is easy.

I use the left hand usb A with a memory stick and play my music with no problems. Used it in my last 3 cars.

Right, here goes! I have solved the non-playing USB stick and like any problems you encounter, when you know the answer, it's easy, frustrating and in my case embarrassingly stupid.
With no help from the garage and MGUK by son, Guru, [that's what he is called on electronic problems] came up with the answer. I have always used a Mac, so when I download songs it records in ACC format. All my other cars accepted ACC except MG. It only accepts MP3.
Only ever useing a Mac, it did not cross my mind that it was the "wrong" format, so I had to spend several days, well hours, converting my music to MP3 which my Mac done easily.
Still flakey, as the car does not always find the USB, but it does pick up from where it finished. DOH!!

I cannot answer for the SE, but the Trophy will read MP3 files in both front USB ports when formatted Fat32. Hope this helps.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back