Using commando socket and extension for car charging

billybonfire3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have off road parking but a long way through the garden to any electric. Getting an ev point installed is very expensive due to that distance. So I was wondering can I use a commando point at the house with a long commando extension lead (as seen plenty of these and seem cheap) to do the length of the garden, plus then a home go commando connection? Or would the extension lead not be the right amps or volts (so not techie) to give me the 7kw charge?

Hi,
If you have seen commando extension leads in camping and caravan shops these are generally 16A not the required 32A.
If you have a 32A commando socket installed it will still need to comply with all the regs if it is to be used for an EVSE.
have you had any quotes for the install?

As above, the regulations require that when intended for EV charging use even temporary connections must conform to the same standards in terms of Earthing and circuit protection.
What you might save is the cost of trenching in an appropriate permanent cable and the onerous requirements for a "smart" charge point. But to be frank it'll be a compromise with associated visual and practical downsides so I'd suggest that you don't do it.

I'm now just thinking of putting a commando socket in another location and using the ohme go commando lead.

You can get 6.0mm (42A rated) SY cable (around £5.m) which is flexible with a braid shield layer and use 32A blue commando plugs.

But ultimately you may have to bite the bullet, 6mm armoured cable is slightly cheaper.

Are you just seeking to save on the cost of cable? Or do you want a solution that you can put away every night?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom