• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Using Economy Mode.

Good question Bwana (with a beard 😉) but nobody has mentioned that the revs bounce up and down as you flick through the modes, just like changing gear in an ICE car?
I regularly challenge myself to not use more than 20% power, in eco mode, and I often get over 170 miles in my ZS EV (that is taking the miles done,150 or so, and adding what is left)

Good question Bwana (with a beard 😉) but nobody has mentioned that the revs bounce up and down as you flick through the modes, just like changing gear in an ICE car?
I regularly challenge myself to not use more than 20% power, in eco mode, and I often get over 170 miles in my ZS EV (that is taking the miles done,150 or so, and adding what is left)
Revs ??

Hi Anthunter, are you an old Kenya resident as you seem to know a bit of Swahili and the meaning of my name ‘bwanamdevu’? This was the name that the Kenyan workers, or Watu, gave me! Actually it was Bwanamdevumbili as I was the second chap with a beard working at our school! Were you there are as a long term resident? I spent nearly six years there and came back with a wife!

Like you I also set challenges for myself when driving. I use the screen that gives you the info on the actual journey you are doing and try to get the highest kWh that I can! It helps to govern my driving a bit,

Last edited:
And I notice you are in Bognor. I lived above the corner shops on NyWood Lane/Aldwick Road years ago in the 70s!

I find in eco mode and KERS 3 the braking steering and rate of acceleration and deceleration all suit my driving style. I find both normal and sports mode. Steering doesn’t really feel different but acceleration is far more sensitive and due to my drive style feels more jerky, also braking is more severe and so overall both of these modes are less comfortable to me. I don’t need to change mode to overtake as acceleration in Eco mode at all speeds is fast enough.

Doesn't putting your foot down hard in ECO just act the same as Sport or Normal? I drive in ECO and I can't imagine the others are any quicker.

Doesn't putting your foot down hard in ECO just act the same as Sport or Normal? I drive in ECO and I can't imagine the others are any quicker.
They are and the brakes are different

Doesn't putting your foot down hard in ECO just act the same as Sport or Normal?
Yep !.
If you are travelling in ECO but suddenly find you require 100% of the power available from the car, say when over taking, then slamming your foot hard down on the "GO" pedal will override the ECO mode setting and provide you with everything the car can give !.
When you lift off the "GO" pedal, it will return back to ECO mode.
You will find a big difference leaving the traffic light in SPORT mode, than in ECO mode.
Very likely you will encounter some front wheel spin, as the car tries to gain some traction.

Hi Anthunter, are you an old Kenya resident as you seem to know a bit of Swahili and the meaning of my name ‘bwanamdevu’? This was the name that the Kenyan workers, or Watu, gave me! Actually it was Bwanamdevumbili as I was the second chap with a beard working at our school! Were you there are as a long term resident? I spent nearly six years there and came back with a wife!

Like you I also set challenges for myself when driving. I use the screen that gives you the info on the actual journey you are doing and try to get the highest kWh that I can! It helps to govern my driving a bit,
It’s the same in Zambia, born and bread,(Northern Rhodesia then) but folks from Yorkshire. Been to Kenya a few times, Mombasa mostly.
Do you have the zs or 5? I’ve seen your comments on both!
🐜

Maybe ECO is wasted on me as I inadvertently do wheel spin fairly regularly, even when already on motion sometimes. Could account for why my mpg since new is 2.9 over 1000 miles. :)

But then - I'm enjoying it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to use ECO mode most of the time, you will note that ECO mode lights up on the heating controls when you switch from Normal to Eco. Clearly Eco mode must alters the heating in some way to save energy as the car becomes more succeptable to mist up (so something has to be switch off to save power). On very damp days I find that it is necessary to overide the ECO switch on the heater to prevent misting up?

Enjoy your MG

Maybe ECO is wasted on me as I inadvertently do wheel spin fairly regularly, even when already on motion sometimes. Could account for why my mpg since new is 2.9 over 1000 miles. :)

But then - I'm enjoying it!!
Me too, I’ve always had a heavy right foot 😂

I tend to use ECO mode most of the time, you will note that ECO mode lights up on the heating controls when you switch from Normal to Eco. Clearly Eco mode must alters the heating in some way to save energy as the car becomes more succeptable to mist up (so something has to be switch off to save power). On very damp days I find that it is necessary to overide the ECO switch on the heater to prevent misting up?

Enjoy your MG
ECO Mode impacts quite a few systems on the car - A/C Mode included.

1644778504148.png

Thanks. Sport looks like fun, maybe I'll give it a go!! :)
It’s great fun, but watch the battery percentage drop as you go! Although it’s worth it every now and then just to see everyone left as a dot in the rear view mirror 😂

I’m not a huge fan of steering feel when in sport mode - well, at low speed anyway. But swapping from Eco -> Normal -> Sport with the same throttle possible really shows the difference is performance. Not sure I’ve noticed brake feel differences. And Eco does cause more windscreen condensation - have to keep popping the screen button on.

Funny you should say that because I much prefer it in Sport!
It would be nice to be able to set the functional parameters individually.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom