Using heater when not in Ready mode?

dnx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Howdy all. I've just recently had the pleasure of getting a new ZS EV LR, and still working a few things out.

Something I've encountered last night, is that I want to run the heater while parked at night without the headlights being on. Plenty of situations for this - waiting for someone, etc.

The dealer advised today at my first service that the headlights cannot be turned off when in Ready mode, but I couldn't work out how to run the heater when not in Ready mode. It shows on the nav screen, but nothing can be turned on. I even tried locking the car from the key while in it, and turning on the heater from the App, but that can't work either as it detects the key is inside the car so refuses. Every car I've ever driven I could turn the lights off, really weird to make this impossible.

Am I just missing something?

Howdy all. I've just recently had the pleasure of getting a new ZS EV LR, and still working a few things out.

Something I've encountered last night, is that I want to run the heater while parked at night without the headlights being on. Plenty of situations for this - waiting for someone, etc.

The dealer advised today at my first service that the headlights cannot be turned off when in Ready mode, but I couldn't work out how to run the heater when not in Ready mode. It shows on the nav screen, but nothing can be turned on. I even tried locking the car from the key while in it, and turning on the heater from the App, but that can't work either as it detects the key is inside the car so refuses. Every car I've ever driven I could turn the lights off, really weird to make this impossible.

Am I just missing something?
Are you confusing the DRL’s here with the headlights ?.
You need to have the car in ready mode ideally, when you are running the cabin heat / cooling or you will flatten the 12 volt battery pretty quickly !.
Yes - You can turn the head lights to OFF with the rotary switch on the left hand column switch.
If you have the switch is in AUTO position, the head lights will be on when the light levels drop.
But you are not able to manually turn off the DRL’s.

Heating

Turn your car off. Then turn it on without touching the brake first.
Orange light comes on, instead of green.
This lets you use AC etc by using the internals without putting the car in Ready Mode

Did it today in the 500 degrees heat

Calefacción

Apaga tu auto. Luego enciéndelo sin tocar primero el freno.
Se enciende la luz naranja, en lugar de verde.
Esto le permite usar aire acondicionado, etc. usando las partes internas sin poner el automóvil en modo Listo.

Lo hice hoy con un calor de 500 grados.
Pues la batería .. de 12 v : muerta en 10 minutos ..
Mal consejo …

Heating

Turn your car off. Then turn it on without touching the brake first.
Orange light comes on, instead of green.
This lets you use AC etc by using the internals without putting the car in Ready Mode

Did it today in the 500 degrees heat
In this situation you have the car in standby mode, yes the cooling / heating will continue to work okay, but your 12 volt battery is not receiving any charge !,
Remembering that the fan motor in the cabin heater / cooling unit is powered by the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
Standby mode provides no charge to that 12 volt battery.
Check the 12 volt battery status when you have the heating / cooling running and you will see the voltage slowly dropping over time.
When in ready mode a charge is provided yo the 12 volt battery, from the inverter / HV traction battery.

Are you confusing the DRL’s here with the headlights ?.
They're all headlights to me :LOL:

So, yeah it sounds like one must be in ready mode to not drain the 12V (I actually couldn't get AC working in 'orange light' mode but I'll try it again today), and in Ready mode there will be headlights DRLs on. Well here I am going to look like a weirdo at night. Seems damn stupid to me.

Thanks for the response everyone, I'm glad to have found this community!

When you turn the heater on remotely from the ISMART app does it turn on the DRL. If not use this whilst keeping the keybfob in faraday blocking pouch if sitting inside the car.

Cuando activas el aire acondicionado desde el exterior del MG con tu celular, este debe utilizar la batería principal; ya que dudo que funcione con batería accesoria de 12v

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom