Using V2L to keep electricity bill lower

hmadsen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Before i start, please note that i do not currently own a ZS EV, so this is just speculation, not me trying to "cheat"

So, like everywhere else, electricity prices are skyrocketing in Denmark. The current record was a few days ago, where the price from 7-8PM on a cloudy day with not much wind, reached, what is equivalent to £1.05. (Yesterday the electricity cost between £0,75 and £1)

Here in Denmark you can buy a "Unlimited use" EV car charge plan, that right now cost £125 a month.

I know that this is not the intended use for the Unlimited use subscription, but would it not be possible, theoretically to go to the charger, charge the car to 80/100%, take it home, and then run the clothes washer and other energy intensive (Max 2500W and only 1 at the time) off of the car.

I mean, in the weekends we, a family of 5, sometimes run 6 loads of clothes and also 6 times tumbler dryer.

The washing machine uses maybe 2 kWh and the dryer also uses 2 kWh for a grand total of 24 kWh for 6 loads of clothes washed and dried.

If i had to pay, lets just say £0,75 i would use £18 to do the washing, but if i used the car, it would cost me next to nothing (Only "wear" on the car battery for the extra charge/discharge cycle)

A quick estimate would be, that i would be able to save at least £50-60 on clothes washing/drying alone, every month.

Oh and I bet electricity prices will not go down, when we get further into fall, and winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many washing machines & tumble driers have built in timers, so using them on the cheaper “Off Peak” rate is a option.
We have moved as many items as possible into our five hour cheaper rate tariff a few months ago.
For the first time in 30 years, we are now finding it much more economical, to heat our stored hot water by electricity.
We are lucky enough to have an emersion heater, that I have fitted a timer control switch too.
At the moment, the gas boiler has almost become redundant !.
This will change when the winter arrives of course😞.
I have a V2L cable but have not used it for running any electrical appliances as of yet.
It will really come in handy if we encounter any power cuts this winter though !.
Any electrical items that generally include a heating element ( washing machine / tumble drier / kettle / cooker etc ) are your high energy consumers !.
Be mindful that the upper limit of just over 2 kw’s is the recommended limit on the MG V2L system !.
Even a modern fast boil kettle is rated at 2500 / 3000 watts.
That is higher than the rating recommend for the V2L system.
A lower 1,000 watts one litre travel kettle is a better option for about £20.
Remember, that the car has to fully booted into the “Ready” mode to use the V2L function.

Here in Denmark you can buy a "Unlimited use" EV car charge plan, that right now cost £125 a month.
I assume that's £125 a month for public car charging, not some sort of special deal for power at home intended for your EV.

It seems to me that if you can make this plan work, then the loophole would soon be closed by increasing the price of that plan. Unless it's subsidised or something.

But assuming that your washer and drier are under the V2L power limit, it should be possible. In Australia, GPOs (General Purpose Outlets) are limited to 10 A or 2.4 kVA, so all our ordinary appliances come in under that limit, which I think is under the V2L limit.

Remember, that the car has to fully booted into the “Ready” mode to use the V2L function.

V2L does function with the car powered off. No need for READY mode.

There is a small drain on the 12V battery when using V2L in the powered down state. This means you can’t use V2L for extended periods, say 4 hours continuously, without using the App to connect to the car. Using the App causes the 12V battery to be charged for a small time and hence maintain its condition.

Many washing machines & tumble driers have built in timers, so using them on the cheaper “Off Peak” rate is a option.
Yeah, we dont have "off peak" rates.

Before we had solar panels we had a fixed, adjustable price...Same price at 3am and 3pm for example.

At that time we would just start our machines when they were ready.

When we got solar, we went onto a variable tariff, that follows the "Nordpool" exchange.

Cheapest rate today is between 3-4 pm and the price is £0,64, it will not be any cheaper today, than that.

I assume that's £125 a month for public car charging, not some sort of special deal for power at home intended for your EV.

It seems to me that if you can make this plan work, then the loophole would soon be closed by increasing the price of that plan. Unless it's subsidised or something.

But assuming that your washer and drier are under the V2L power limit, it should be possible. In Australia, GPOs (General Purpose Outlets) are limited to 10 A or 2.4 kVA, so all our ordinary appliances come in under that limit, which I think is under the V2L limit.
This is both a home charger that is owned and operated by the operator, but also charging on public chargers from that company.

The only subsidising i know of is they do not pay as much for "transport and VAT" but still, that is only a fraction of the price. Maybe they also get the electricity at a lower rate than me, because they buy a lot of power.

I would also assume they would do something to try and twart this, if it becomes something that people do.

I know the charger can read the SOT of the battery, do we know if that protocol also supports reading the mileage of the car. If so, it would be easy for them to read mileage and conclude that i have charged the car, without adding to the mileage of the car = I used the charge to something else, than driving.

V2L does function with the car powered off. No need for READY mode.

There is a small drain on the 12V battery when using V2L in the powered down state. This means you can’t use V2L for extended periods, say 4 hours continuously, without using the App to connect to the car. Using the App causes the 12V battery to be charged for a small time and hence maintain its condition.
This is confusing for new owners as later cars do have to be powered up before you can use V2l. It may work on your car car but not on all cars as it has been explained before.

This is confusing for new owners as later cars do have to be powered up before you can use V2l. It may work on your car car but not on all cars as it has been explained before.
I have seen no evidence or comment that V2L requires the car to be READY.

Perhaps you have one that can demonstrate this?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom