Vehicle Control System Fault - caused by charger ?

Thanks for watching - I’ve never seen anyone else say that an AC charger has caused this issue so I’d be very interested to see how it goes for you.

Thanks for watching - I’ve never seen anyone else say that an AC charger has caused this issue so I’d be very interested to see how it goes for you.
Speculation I know - but I wonder if your car thoight that the cable was still connected? What you got when trying to start was similar to if you try to start with cable attached? Or maybe not. It seems too much of a coincidence 1/very new chargers 2/saw someone else leaving with charger showing red displays. I doubt if it was your ZS at fault - probably never know. Let’s hope the AA don’t recover an out of charge ZS EV to that charging station to top up in the meantime!

No, it definitely didn’t show the same warnings as when the cable is still attached. I’m sure it thought something was amiss but I’m not quite sure what!

Id love to know if it actually worked for the chap in the TM3 I saw.

No, it definitely didn’t show the same warnings as when the cable is still attached. I’m sure it thought something was amiss but I’m not quite sure what!

Id love to know if it actually worked for the chap in the TM3 I saw.
I’d also be interested what he was doing there as there are 12 superchargers just across the road from there!

Charging on my Rolec wallbox has been annoying the last couple of weeks. Start stop stuff.
I had the BMS update beginning of March (eu1) and wondered if it might be that but successfully did a long charge on shopping centre podpoint 7kw so eliminating the car as a problem.

I’ve just put a 10mm spanner in my car

I read this comment before watching the video and couldn't understand the relevance! 😂 Now I do and I'm going to put the spare socket set I've got in the garage (long story - don't ask! 😉) into the wife's car.

Thanks for sharing this Gomev (y)

Cheers

Bloggsy

I had exactly the same errors appear a few weeks back.
Car was dead.
AA came and took it away on a flatbed back to dealer.
Many tests / checks were carried out in conjunction with MG UK.
All the checks came back fine and nothing could be found wrong on my vehicle.
MG UK called me after I got vehicle back and told me all they found was a tiny power spike from my home Wallbox charger.
The ZS had then cut off the control circuit via the 12v supply being made available to bring in high voltage system. This is to stop any damage to the HV. Batteries ( this is what MG told me ).
I was also told to reset this issue to remove negative cable on 12v battery and leave for 10 minutes then reconnect.
I have had no more issues and still have the same Wallbox charger.
I think it’s just one of these things
If it happens again I’ll just disconnect the battery.
MG UK told me that since the launch of the MG EV I was only the 6th car that had been reported with this fault.
I just carry a spanner now.

I'm just wondering if there's an easier way to hard reboot the 12v system on newer cars...

Didn't Miles say that they now have a disconnect switch on the battery or something to stop them going flat whilst in transit? Anyone know where it is and if this could be used to do this?

I'm just wondering if there's an easier way to hard reboot the 12v system on newer cars...

Didn't Miles say that they now have a disconnect switch on the battery or something to stop them going flat whilst in transit? Anyone know where it is and if this could be used to do this?
It’s added in the factory and then removed at the PDI - not present in the car after delivery.

I’d hope this didn’t need doing regularly enough to be that much of a concern!

It’s added in the factory and then removed at the PDI - not present in the car after delivery.

I’d hope this didn’t need doing regularly enough to be that much of a concern!
Damn it!
Maybe MG will start recommending it be left because of this problem lol

I think that this was a in-transit thing only - I believe fitted to the windscreen area.

Encountered this myself, the 'reboot' option of disconnecting the 12v did not work and we had to call out The AA. The AA employee connected their diagnostics tool and the fault cleared, enabling us to carry on. Very stressful.

In detail;
  • Started a charge using the DC fast charge option at Shell Clevedon (Salthouse). The charger used was the GeniePoint brand and had the same name on it (Motor Fuel Group I think) as the one in the video above.
  • Left car charging and came back 40 mins later, got in, still charging it seems (it may have stopped charging due to my opening the vehicle, I've not figured this bit yet).
  • Decided at an hour that it had fully charged and turned the power on (I had not disconnected the charger at this point which I should have, but I can't see that would cause this issue). Full charge shown on display.
  • Vehicle failed to 'boot up' with the Vehicle Control System Fault error in red and then that followed by the HV offline warning. No amount of brake pedal / restart etc. got past this.
  • Called the AA. While waiting tried the 12v disconnect twice (as recommended above). Once for 2 minutes and once for 15 minutes. Same result.
  • AA arrived some time later (getting stressful, we were over 100 miles from home and had to pick up our dog from the vets after surgery which was 20 miles away). He plugged in his device to the lower right of the drivers footwell which cleared the problem.
  • AA operator said he did not do anything, just plugged it in to look at the stats. Said there were no errors logged and it came to life again.
What I think happened;
  • We have an older version of the software without the recent fixes mentioned here and in HV battery Shut off/HV Battery fault/Vehicle control... . The car was supplied to us in February, I hear there are updates since.
  • The GeniePoint / MFG chargers do something that triggers this software bug.
  • The diagnostics cable caused the car diagnostic software to to clear the duff error flag that was being held in memory somehow.
I only found the 'factory reset' option later on when looking, that might have helped at some point as it may have reset the error states and caused a full retest of all sensors.

We are going to try and get the software updated at the dealer.

Charging on my Rolec wallbox has been annoying the last couple of weeks. Start stop stuff.
I had the BMS update beginning of March (eu1) and wondered if it might be that but successfully did a long charge on shopping centre podpoint 7kw so eliminating the car as a problem.
Gomev
Did Luscombes do the service?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom