Vehicle Control System Fault

Symmi

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I first went to collect my car, the Trophy Long Range on the first week of April. On inspection my partner noticed one of the front panels appeared to have a dent in and there was condensation on the rear back left light. I rejected the car until the fixed the panel. 2 weeks later I collected the car again and the dent was fixed but still slightly visible but I let it go.

A week later I put it on charge and took it off charge to drive. I got in the car to go somewhere and I got the error messages "Vehicle Control System fault, please stop safely", "ACC system currently unavailable" and the car wouldn't drive. After about an hour the car reset itself and I was able to drive.

I took it to my local MG service centre the following week and they were told to perform a software update from MG which took a week to get to work to which they said the issue was fixed.

I picked up the car again mid May. The following week I was charging again at a different location with a different charging wire and the same issue happened again. I waited an hour and the car still wouldn't drive so I had to leave it were it was. 3 hours later I went back and it would drive again.

It went back into the service centre again the following day.

At this point I wanted to reject the car but they said they would do extensive testing and guaranteed that it would be fixed and offered me some compensation. I accepted the offer and agreed to pick up the car mid June.

I came home from collecting the car and all was fine. I went to pop out half an hour later and the same issue and error messages came up, this time without charging and the car would not drive again!

This particular car clearly has a fault somewhere which was originally triggered on charging, but with further software updates appear to have made the issue worse.

I have rejected the vehicle and currently waiting on a replacement vehicle to be arranged.

I haven't seen anyone else have this type of issue so think it's specific to this car and I've had 2 other MG4 courtesy cars, a trophy and SE, to drive in the meantime and I haven't experienced this issue with those cars.

I'm hoping all will be smooth sailing with the replacement as I do actually like the car!

Last edited:
I think you may want to edit the timeline in your OP, as at the moment you seem to have a time machine. :)

My ZS EV long range is suffering similar issues. Mine drives but only at 15.mph and been to the dealership 4 of the last 6 weeks. Two occurrences. I picked it up on Saturday after being told it was sorted by an MG Master Technician. I am now on holiday in France and this evening the fault has happened again.

I need to work out how we are getting home!

My ZS EV long range is suffering similar issues. Mine drives but only at 15.mph and been to the dealership 4 of the last 6 weeks. Two occurrences. I picked it up on Saturday after being told it was sorted by an MG Master Technician. I am now on holiday in France and this evening the fault has happened again.

I need to work out how we are getting home!
All I can suggest is to disconnect the 12V battery for a couple of minutes before reconnecting. You will get a load of fault messages but they should clear when you start driving it but it will cause the systems to re-boot and might fix the problem if only temporarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the suggestion, the dealrship suggested the same fix, but, alas, no cigar. Tow truck for me I guess.

My MG 4 did this today, it’s brand new. Charged it the first time today and after disconnecting the charger, I had the same error and the car wouldn’t drive. Did MG resolve your issue?

My MG 4 did this today, it’s brand new. Charged it the first time today and after disconnecting the charger, I had the same error and the car wouldn’t drive. Did MG resolve your issue?
They couldn't figure out what was causing it and they had to give me a new vehicle which has been issue free.

I had that same error 4 days after collecting and issues charging the car not working 9/10 times. I took straight to MG and after 3 weeks and testing the chargers on the replacement mg zs they gave me with all working fine MG finally agreed to update software on all modules and the infotainment system too (as had Bluetooth issues) and touch wood since then had no issues for the last 6 weeks. Hopefully just a software bug out there.

My brand new MG4 trophy long range arrived yesterday and after charging it today for the 2nd time this message popped up and won't clear despite the car seemingly driving fine. Did anyone find out the fix?

Attachments

• 20240130_210456.jpg
    20240130_210456.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 41
My brand new MG4 trophy long range arrived yesterday and after charging it today for the 2nd time this message popped up and won't clear despite the car seemingly driving fine. Did anyone find out the fix?
If it won't clear then it's back to the dealers.

I've had it briefly after a charge but then it seems to clear after starting the car and driving.

Have you tried getting out, locking, wait 20 seconds, then unlocking and getting back in and waiting patiently for everything to boot up again before ressing the accelerator ?

Had exactly these faults come up last night; had been charged the night before on AC charger at work.
Came up again this evening and car refused to start.
Car is Trophy LR about 10 days old having covered 374 miles.
Speaking with dealership tomorrow, one chance to fix!!

Seems to be a common fault had my MG4 trophy extended range 1 week then control system fault came on. Pulled over and HV battery cut out with car not able to start. 3 hours with AA no luck & recovery truck arranged, mechanic tried last minute fix got running but 5 minutes later driving home same fault back on. Car drives but control system fault still on & went back to MG this morning, hopefully a quick fix if common issue

Hi all,

Has anyone else had this error come up before? The car completely shut off and slowed down to a stop. I got out the car locked it and unlocked it which reset it. It happened again about a mile down the road where I did the same to reset. I sent the pic to my MG dealership who claim they’ve not seen it before so I have to book it in. Is this something I need to worry about as I live about an hour from the MG dealership.

Definitely needs looking at ... could be as simple as a bad connection on the 12V battery, could be an earthing issue, could be a software glitch. Best to let them look at it - you don't want this to happen in the middle of rush hour or you conk out in the outside lane of a motorway.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back