Vehicle Registration

Simler51

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all
Since receiving my reg number from my dealer at end of November. I have periodically checked gov website to see if was in the system to no avail.
Still waiting to hear from my dealer (imminent??). But this morning, just on a whim, put in number and all make and details now on site. Does this mean my dealer has the vehicle? I will ring him today🤞

Hi all
Since receiving my reg number from my dealer at end of November. I have periodically checked gov website to see if was in the system to no avail.
Still waiting to hear from my dealer (imminent??). But this morning, just on a whim, put in number and all make and details now on site. Does this mean my dealer has the vehicle? I will ring him today🤞
I too was given my car reg last week for a MG4 SE SR Holburn Blue.
A few days later it appeared on the GOV website. It should be arriving this week at the dealership from what the salesmen told me. 🤞
Hope you get yours soon.

just received my V5c for the car through the post this morning as well. So the salesmen was telling the truth upto now. 🤓

Last edited:
I would imagine that many have been registered on, or shortly before, 30th December 2022... irrespective of whether or not they have been collected yet...

It means they've registered them before the end of the year to get the sales figures through, bit cheeky! they normally should of had them to be registering them, if they don't they must close. Definitely just to up end of year figures though, means your cars will be 2022 not 2023 even though that's when you get them.

It means they've registered them before the end of the year to get the sales figures through, bit cheeky! they normally should of had them to be registering them, if they don't they must close. Definitely just to up end of year figures though, means your cars will be 2022 not 2023 even though that's when you get them.

Yeah, would be a bit cheeky.
Our dealer did at least tell us that that was exactly what they planned to do (and that if I wasn't happy with it being registered as 2022 rather than 2023, then that was fine - they'd just offer it to the next person in the queue instead!). 😄

On the plus side, it does make sorting out insurance a bit easier, though, if the registration is already on "the database". 👍

Yeah, would be a bit cheeky.
Our dealer did at least tell us that that was exactly what they planned to do (and that if I wasn't happy with it being registered as 2022 rather than 2023, then that was fine - they'd just offer it to the next person in the queue instead!). 😄

On the plus side, it does make sorting out insurance a bit easier, though, if the registration is already on "the database". 👍
When did you get it? It's good your dealer mentioned it, but your right he certainly told you.! They weren't asking
"We are doing it, if your not happy you lose it!! Someone else will take it"
It's a very customer focused approach I can see that your satisfaction was their priority, not their end of year figures 😂

To be fair though I'd have taken the car as well the year wouldn't have bothered me. Still that's some sales technique and attitude 😂

My dealer informed me they might ask if they could register the car before the end of December if it had been delivered but not ready for collection. He said there would be free mats and an additional charging cable if I said yes.
The car wasn't been delivered so nothing happened.

This type of quota-fulfilling registration happens a lot. It’s usually when it affects the year of registration and/or the change of plate that customers can object.
A dealer might tell you that it doesn’t matter for a few weeks if your car is registered in 2022 or 2023 - until you come to sell it back them!
It‘s a choice that you are sometimes forced to make, especially in this sellers market that we are currently experiencing with MG.
Getting some incentive to accept an earlier registration makes it a bit more palatable - but as you mention they can just sell to the next buyer in line.
Keep a long memory regarding these type of practices. The market will change.

When did you get it?
30th December (and it had been registered on 29th Dec). The implication was that, if we didn't take this dealer allocation, then we'd probably revert to the 'factory order' queue, so it could well be more like end Jan, based upon our original order date (early Oct).

30th December (and it had been registered on 29th Dec). The implication was that, if we didn't take this dealer allocation, then we'd probably revert to the 'factory order' queue, so it could well be more like end Jan, based upon our original order date (early Oct).
Probably even longer, still poor he could have sweetened the deal to be fair as Ian Key said

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back